More Good News from the Airline Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Good News from the Airline Industry

The news has been a bit depressing lately, so here are a couple stories to demonstrate that there are still some airlines thinking outside of the box, so to speak.

Story the first:

Westjet; Canada's second largest airline this week offered passengers a small "sleeper cabin" in its planes' overhead luggage bins, available for a modest extra charge of $12.

In a recent press releases, Calgary-based WestJet said passengers would be able to stretch out and relax in the luggage rack.

"By offering our existing overhead bins as sleeper cabins, guests will now have the opportunity to lie down for a period of time and arrive at their destination refreshed, rested and ready to go," the airline said in its release.

I think I'm a bit big for this, but there are plenty who could fit. I am a bit curious how they would calculate the load factor. Potentially this could increase it to greater than 100%. Definitely a win-win for Westjet and the pax.

Story the second:

Ireland's Flybe has taken air-fare discount to whole new level after it paid 172 people to fly back and forth across England and the Irish Sea to help it meet a target for passenger numbers at Norwich airport.

Flybe was narrowly falling short of a target to deliver at least 15,000 passengers on the Dublin-Norwich route in the 12 months ending on March 31, which meant it would have to forego a $550,000 rebate from the airport.

After the airport rejected a request for a partial rebate for almost hitting the target, Flybe hired 172 temps for $60-$80 each, plus a free bar and in-flight entertainment.

Since many British consider Norwich to be in the middle of nowhere, maybe they should make pay-to-fly thing permanent.
    Except for the last comment trashing Norwich, perhaps this could catch on elsewhere.

It's here if you want the "rest of the story"
    Terry
    Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
    How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by FireLight

I'd hit it!

Comment

The WestJet thing, it's a late April fool joke, right? It's just so... unreasonable. Comparable to BBC's flying-penguin-in-rain-forest video for the April fool day.

How's the passenger climbing up there? I think the permitted load of a compartment is just about 15kg. Only a child can go in even the weight is spread evenly between two or three compartments. And where do other passengers suppose to put their carry-on then? Without seat belts, the authority is not going to permit people to be settled into the compartments.
      Next:
      None Planned

Comment

First story was an April Fools joke. And Joe, indeed! You would love some of the young ladies in WN Marketing.

Second story was posted by ME, several days ago.
        Discuss anything aviation related, such as airline news, specific aviation questions, etc.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
          And Joe, indeed! You would love some of the young ladies in WN Marketing.
          If I come visit can you hook me up?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPhotog
            First story was an April Fools joke. And Joe, indeed! You would love some of the young ladies in WN Marketing.

Second story was posted by ME, several days ago.
            http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=43163
            Sorry. Credit given where credit due.
            Terry
            Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
            How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
              The WestJet thing, it's a late April fool joke, right? It's just so... unreasonable. Comparable to BBC's flying-penguin-in-rain-forest video for the April fool day. See below

How's the passenger climbing up there? I think they would use a step. Either that or you would provide the pax with a handhold to help her up there. I would definitely help young ladies as pictured, as it is really the courteous thing to do.
              I think the permitted load of a compartment is just about 15kg. Westjet allows 2 carry-ons with a total weight of 10 kg each. Assuming that you could put 6 to 10 pieces in the overhead - depending on size, that could be 60 to 100 kgs. I would expect that you wouldn't want to put 100 kgs up there, but 60 kgs, probably would work.
              Only a child can go in even the weight is spread evenly between two or three compartments. Clearly young ladies fit nicely too if the picture is to be believed.
              And where do other passengers suppose to put their carry-on then? Under the seats of course.
              Without seat belts, the authority is not going to permit people to be settled into the compartments. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to provide padding in there for good all around protection.
              Flying Penguins here:
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                I'd hit it!
                No, it's mine!

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                  I'd hit it!
                  Joe, is there ANYTHING you wouldn't 'hit'??

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker

Liza Minelli?
                    O'Hare - The Aviation God's greatest creation, or their greatest mistake? you be the judge!

Comment

Originally posted by turbotraker
                      Wiggy?

Comment

Anytime a photo of a woman is posted on these forums...
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                        X