Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A320 double bogie main gear...an oddity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A320 double bogie main gear...an oddity?

I noticed that this plane from Air India has double bogie main gear? Whilst searching other types, I didn't find any with the double bogie....anyone have an insight?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

[photoid=6206442]
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

IIRC Air India was the only one to order them this way. Why they did so I do not know.

Comment

Allows them to operate on unimproved runways, such as those that would be found in airports in the 'backwoods' of India (think Joordaini Patel-Dooncani's home airport).

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
        IIRC Air India was the only one to order them this way. Why they did so I do not know.
        It was actually Indian Airlines which ordered them. Indian subsequently merged with Air India. The reasons, as stated, were for rough fields. As far as I know, no other airline took this option for the A320.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays
          As far as I know, no other airline took this option for the A320.
          IIRC, a few years ago there was an article in German AeroInternational magazine that some airline had become "the only airline besides Indian Airlines to operate A320s with a double bogie landing gear", though it might have been a used IC plane operated second-hand, can't remember the airline anymore.

Comment

These are the relatively new A320's IC have with single bogie.

The double bogey A320 was ordered was done by the Rajiv Gandhi Govt. in the late 80's and considering the poor runway conditions of majority of the Indian airports, the double bogie was customized for IC. As of now many IC aircrafts are from that era, hence you find a mix of both.

AFAIK it is only IC which has double bogie landing gear. And even if some other airline has it it can be an ex-IC aircraft.(which is a rare possibilty).

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays
              It was actually Indian Airlines which ordered them. Indian subsequently merged with Air India. The reasons, as stated, were for rough fields. As far as I know, no other airline took this option for the A320.
              Of course. Correct you are.

Comment

Air Deccan flies to all sorts of strange places like Leh and they don't have any double bogie A320s. I guess there is no more need for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                  Air Deccan flies to all sorts of strange places like Leh and they don't have any double bogie A320s. I guess there is no more need for them.

I wouldn't call Leh "unimproved" having seen videos and pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcenter
                    To add further - although we may not see it often - alot of these airports have had minor improovements to them that makes them better than when these planes were ordered (or rather, when this order was invisioned). Also, it allows them to expand into less developed airports (which probably never happened due to the myriad of things that stop developement in the mother-land).
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

The L/G vendor has closed shop.gradually all AI aircraft will be replaced with Two wheel MLG when overhaul is due.
                      regds
                      MEL
                      Think of the brighter side !

Comment

Working...
                      X