Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Airlines pulls out of Oakland, CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Airlines pulls out of Oakland, CA.

American Airlines is canceling its services in and out of Oakland International Airport effective Sept. 3 due to high fuel prices, according to a spokesman for the airline.

"Oakland is a victim of very, very high fuel prices," Tim Wagner said. The airline previously stated it would reduce its domestic flying by 5 percent.
    Oakland was only served by AA for a few years now...maybe since 2002 or 2003...now sure how the loads were there, but I don't think they had many flights.

And wow, just 15 daily flights from SJC now, with 36 from SFO? Damn, its almost like US at PIT. Just over one year ago you could see over one dozen AA arrivals in an hour...
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

To bad about SJC's reductions, SJC use to be a big market for AA.

Comment

Re:

Wasn't SJC a mini-hub at one point for AA? Looks like it is now just a spoke airport.

Comment

Bay Area International

That brings up the topic of the San Francisco Bay Area and its lack of an acceptable hub airport in general. SJC was on its way to hub-dom when AA took over Reno Air and they tore down most all of the general aviation hangars and shelters... however the roadways and access to SJC is a real pain and no room to grow. Access to SFO is even worse, bad traffic, not a bad trip into the city but almost completely inaccessable from the East and South bay cities.

Clearly what has to happen, if SFO is to keep up with the times, is to build a mid-bay airport on land fill. But not likely to happen. Even though the bay south of the Oakland Bay Bridge is pretty ugly, they cling to it as if Tony Bennett invented it.
        ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
        Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

I was actually just wondering if a legacy was going to ever pull out of OAK!

(sry if i offend anyone, but OAK is my least favorite bay area airport) I heart SFO and SJC.

Comment

Sad to hear this, not surprise that AA decide to do this, using primarily MD-83s to Oakland. Oakland International is just falling in comparison to San Francisco, they just can't compete. For the people living on that side of the bay, it's going to be a pain for them having to either San Francisco or San Jose, espcially the roads leading to San Francisco International. Air Carriers are seeing Oakland now as not as a place they can earn money and with gas prices, the airport I see in the future to close.
            what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              http://triangle.bizjournals.com/sanj...5/daily14.html

Oakland was only served by AA for a few years now...maybe since 2002 or 2003...now sure how the loads were there, but I don't think they had many flights.

And wow, just 15 daily flights from SJC now, with 36 from SFO? Damn, its almost like US at PIT. Just over one year ago you could see over one dozen AA arrivals in an hour...
              Chasen Oakland has been served by AA since the 1940s....

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                Chasen Oakland has been served by AA since the 1940s....
                They stopped service for a few years, not sure how long exactly. Then they restarted in maybe 03 or something. There will billboards of the re-start everywhere in the East Bay.

Yes, SJC was a hub for AA. It became an official hub in 1991. But American first gained a large SJC presence after the AirCal takeover. AA served a bunch of California cities (Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Orange County, ect) from SJC with ex AirCal Bae-146s, MD-80s, 732s, and 733s. However, other than maybe the MD-80s, AA didn't keep the ex-AirCal planes for long, so the California network from SJC died down a bit. Around this time AA started SJC-NRT, which lasted for several years first being flown by DC-10s, then MD-11s, and finally 772s up until October 28, 2006. The take-over of RenoAir helped AA establish another dominance at SJC, but they didn't keep the routes for very long, and ended up getting rid of all the MD-87s and MD-90s rather quickly. However, AA soon started two more international routes, although both were short lived. SJC-TPE(772) and SJC-CDG(763). It seems they never had much luck at SJC. It surprises me as there is a huge population down there in the Silicon Valley, and getting from SJC-SFO/OAK is a pain in the ass at best.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

OAK isn't that bad. I've spent 9 hours a day at OAK terminal 2 since 5/5. Stop by and check out Southwest's new Express Bag Drop. [plug]

To me, no terminal will ever be as bad as HOU's old terminal 1 or the current main terminal at DAL.
                  Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Working...
                  X