Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sunny day today: tips wanted!

Hi all,

Today is a sunny day, at least ... where I live (Netherlands). I think I'll travel to Schiphol/AMS/EHAM today.

Can anyone tell me what the best settings of the camera would be?
    (Apperture value, Time value etc.)

What about F8 combined with 1/2000?

Or is that really bad?

I know it's all a matter of trying, but I'd really like to hear from some of you what settings they often use ...

Thanks and greets,

Hinkelbein

AV priority f8 is always good with this sunny weather.

Just try it and see what comes out.
    Shutter priority of 1/750 or higher is also good to start with, depending on the angle of the incoming/outgoing aircraft and their speeds.
    Do you like panning shots or close-ups? Whatever........just try some different settings.
    Do not use the on-camera settings, but try AV- or shutter priority. That will gives you better pics (at least with my 300D) and you can change the settings on every pic you'll make.
    Back home you'll see what settings are best for you.

BTW; I am also planning a EHAM-visit on a sunny sunday in Juli. Maybe we'll meet..............

gr,
    Freek

Comment

Well first of all, make sure the sun is behind you when you take the pics. You may have a killer shot, but it'll be ruined from being backlit.

Aperture Priority Mode. Set the f/stop to anything between f/7.1 to f/11. Try to stay somewhere near f/8. f/8 seems to be the magic number for aviation shots. If you use Shutter Priority Mode, then be sure that you follow the 1/focal length rule for the shutter speed. For example, if your focal length is 200mm for a specific shot, be sure that your shutter speed is at or above 1/200.

Happy shooting!

-Chris

Comment

Hi Freek and Chris,I went to the Polderbaan (Schiphol) today. Weather conditions were excellent. Sun in the back, nice temperature ...
        i couldn't stay too long off course, I didn't want to miss anything of the two Euro 2008 matches

I used f5 and f8 on both my PowerShot SX100 and EOS400D. Results are good in my eyes, better than I used to have. Needless to say I will upload most of them.

What I want to practise next is panning, but I think this is only for experienced photographers?
        Would f8 also do with panning or more like f12?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein
          What I want to practise next is panning, but I think this is only for experienced photographers?
          Would f8 also do with panning or more like f12?
          For panning, use the Shutter Priority Mode on your 400D and set the shutter speed anywhere from 1/60 to 1/20 depending on the lighting conditions. Let the camera set the f/stop for you. So in the brightest parts of the day (noon, etc.) the faster speed of 1/60 is better than 1/30. Look through the database and click on the EXIF data at the bottom of the screen to get more info on what settings to use for motion blur shots. Also, a tripod can be handy in some situations. What lens do you have for your 400D?

-Chris

Comment

I have the Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III.

It belongs to my dad's analog camera, but fits perfectly on the EOS400D digital camera.

Comment

The "f" number doesn't really make much difference when you consider that your subject is still the same distance away...it's just moving !

More important is the shutter speed. If you want a nice background blur then a slow shutter speed ( I would consider 1/30 to 1/80th sec as slow ) and shutter priority is the way to go. The aperture and depth of field don't matter too much, although you still need somewhere around f8 to keep the aircraft in depth of field focus, as the background will be blurred with the panning.
              You need to be aware that when you press the shutter the subject must be in the same place in the frame for the duration of the time the shutter is open so your panning must be VERY accurate. OK, I know that sounds stupidly simple...but you'd be amazed how many people can't get their head around that ! You therefore need to understand that you need to start your exposure just as the subject comes to being side on ( 90 degrees ) to you. This will avoid differences in focus between the nose, mid section and tail of the aircraft as it moves across your viewpoint.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I have the Canon Zoom Lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III.
                That is exact the same one as I use; but mine also has USM.
                Keep in mind that this lens is by far not the best out in the field.The shutter speeds mentioned above by our experts are almost impossible for you/me with this lens.
                You are unexperienced with panning; that combined with the lens you have means that I will advice you to start with 1/125 at least.

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
                  OK, I know that sounds stupidly simple...but you'd be amazed how many people can't get their head around that !
                  Brian, I fear I have to practise a lot
                  Which ... is actually a nice thing to do!

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer
                    That is exact the same one as I use; but mine also has USM.
                    Keep in mind that this lens is by far not the best out in the field.The shutter speeds mentioned above by our experts are almost impossible for you/me with this lens.
                    You are unexperienced with panning; that combined with the lens you have means that I will advice you to start with 1/125 at least.

Freek
                    Well, my father wants his lens back one day, so I am forced to buy a new one anyway. What would be a good lens for me you think?
                    (And I wish I could say "money is not a problem" )

Comment

Well, my father wants his lens back one day, so I am forced to buy a new one anyway. What would be a good lens for me you think?
                      (And I wish I could say "money is not a problem" )
                      Not speaking from personal experience here, but the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens seems to be a decent beginning lens. It is about $500 but many consider it the "hidden L". I personally have a 100-400L and am VERY satisfied with it, though it can get a tad heavy. If $500 is too much for you, then you might want to consider either a used one of the above lens or a Sigma 70-300 lens. Canon lenses usually produce better quality results because the lens and the EOS body were meant for each other. Off brand lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, etc., are essentially the exact same thing for Nikon, Canon, Sony, and other camera systems, but the electrical contacts and mounting system is changed for each system. Look at Canon's telephoto zoom lens lineup on their website and use the-digital-picture.com to read an in-depth review of each lens.

Telephoto Zoom Lens Reviews on The-Digital-Picture

Canon Telephoto Zoom Lens Lineup

Also you may want to check out this thread for more opinions on different lenses and other options.

-Chris

Comment

I agree with Chris,for 100%.

Go fore the 70-300 IS USM lens, if you can afford it.
                        You know that I am in the same situation and my first choice is de L 100-400, but that's from another level (also the price), and therefore I will go for the 70-300 IS USM. And when I have the money for the L 100-400 I'll chance them.

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by z740
                          Look through the database and click on the EXIF data at the bottom of the screen
                          I can't find a button EXIF data ...

EDIT: I found it already

Comment

My standard sunny day settings are TV mode 400th to 800th of second. Those speeds will generally delivery between F8 and F10 which allows for proper exposue at ISO 100. I also under expose by 1/3 as a rule of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                              My standard sunny day settings are TV mode 400th to 800th of second. Those speeds will generally delivery between F8 and F10 which allows for proper exposue at ISO 100. I also under expose by 1/3 as a rule of mine.
                              I will try these settings once. I have tried f5 - f8 last time and that made good pictures. I still have to upload them though.

Comment

Working...
                              X