Best UV filter for 100-400L Canon lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best UV filter for 100-400L Canon lens

Hi, i am looking into getting a UV filter for my 100-400L canon lens to protect the front element. I was wondering if i could get some input as to which filter is the best for it.

I am currently interested in the "B&W UV 77mm MRC F-Pro" filter. It got rave reviews. My only concern is viginetting with my lens. Is it necessary for me to get the slimmer version?

Saurabh

Hi,

Basically UV filters are useless on digital cameras as the filter is supposed to work when using film due to the frequency of light - CMOS sensors are not affected by that frequency.

Anyway, I'd recommend you to save the money or rather spend it on an insurance of the lens. Also why don't you just use the lens hood, should be enough protection. If you insist on buying one make sure the glass is coated like the lens elements. Cheap filters can lead to a reduction in quality and take light away. Recommended brand would be B+W - around 70 USD for UV/Skylight filters.

What is meant with 'slimmer version'?
    greetings,
    Philip

Comment

hey by "slimmer" i meant thin. Basically i they have the regular lens (with a certain thickness and a thinner one for wide-angle lens to avoid/minimize viginetting. I was just wondering if the regular thickness glass caused viginetting.

Comment

Hoya - HMC Pro-1 filters are also well regarded. The pro versions are very thin, and are multi-coated. I have a filter on all my lenses purely to try and stop them getting scratched.

Comment

I too use the Hoya Pro-1 multicoated filters on my lenses. Generally regarded, some of the best on the market.

Comment

The whole point of the UV filter is to protect your lens. To be honest, the brand and name does not matter since they have no effect on digital. I'd suggest a solid piece of glass to protect the real glass of the lens.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J
              The whole point of the UV filter is to protect your lens. To be honest, the brand and name does not matter since they have no effect on digital. I'd suggest a solid piece of glass to protect the real glass of the lens.
              Hey thats what i want to do is to protect my lens. I was just curious to see which one to get so i dont have any degradation in the image quality.

I will check out the hoya. Then the cheaper one of the two wins

thanks fall or the feedback

regards,
              Saurabh

Comment

Working...
              X