In search of new motives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of new motives

As it is more than apparent by this point, I am very fond of the aviation photography hobby, but after more than 100 side-on-landers that we all love to malign, I want to think outside the box and take some photos that people who don't have a penchant for all things BBD will respect for more than technical competence. I see gorgeous sunsets, wonderful landscapes, those cool late-night light-trails all these things inspire me and I'd love to try them; but for the moment I live in Edmonton. We don't have those things here and in the summer it's never pitch-black at night. I'd take cockpit shots from my "office", but the crime rate is so high by CYXD that were I to put my camera down for a mere moment- my car would be broken into (again) and despite having camera insurance, they get a little suspicious if you file too many stolen claims. I'm at a loss everyone- in such a limited locale, what can I do to change things up from the usual?

P.S I have nothing against the side-on lander, I have no intent to stop uploading them as I quite like them, I just want to try something different. Moreover, eventually I am moving to an undisclosed location that will rectify the landscapes, sunsets, and darkness issues (but amplify my nemisis heat-haze) but I don't want to get so familiar with my beloved side-ons that contempt is bred.

Go to your airport, focus on the plane, and if you don't like what you see, get closer. Focus on the aircraft, even just a small part of an aircraft, ignore the background, focus on the plane, try use depth of field to show what you want, either a part or a system or everything, but remember, shoot for yourself, not the website, and someone always had to be first to do something new.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Oh, I shoot for myself- I've been dabbling in this field since before I learned to fly/completely devoted myself to the pursuit of giant shiny things with engines. The problem is, while I have full access to my crime-filled local field, should I attempt to go within non-hazed distance of YEG, security people appear from the ether it would seem, and proceed to ask me what I am doing/can I please go away. Otherwise, I would use selective DoF as it's a technique I quite like when I'm in the garden/relatives/their pets. That said, thank you for your ideas I hope I didn't seem rude, I've been up for a very long time and can no longer gauge my tone.

Edit: My apologies to you if it did, just in case the implication was unclear.

Comment

Hi Mr Cube

I would hate to have that restriction (security) on me. Having never been to Edmonton I am unaware of the size of airport. Your security sounds a bit nuts but I guess it is necessary if the crime rate is as bad as it sounds . I know what you mean about the typical side on shots but like you appreciate their qualities. I am in the very fortunate position to work at an airport which is small and where I can pretty much go where I want and get as close to a/c as I want without any problems. My biggest problem is the shouts and taunts from the other workers of 'Nerd' or 'Oi planespotter' . They just don't understand this bug which I and I'm sure 99.99% of us "spotters" have.
        On a more serious note, do you use a UV filter on your lenses?
        Cheers for sharing

Duncan

Comment

Have you ever tried shooting at just one focal length? Just fight the urge to zoom, stay at one focal length, and force yourself to be aware of whats possible, whats approaching in the back and foreground, and try emulate shooting with a prime.

And i try to avoid reading into tones online.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Working...
          X