Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner

I am thinking about gettin the AR-108 airband scanner. Is this a good scanner? If there are drawbacks please tell me! If you know of any other good scanners that are $120 or less please let me know. I need a scanner that can pick up frequencies clearly for at least 15-20 miles. Thanks

TurkPHL
    Turkish Airlines: Journey To Pleasure

Scanner

quote:
    Originally posted by TurkPHL:
    I am thinking about gettin the AR-108 airband scanner. Is this a good scanner? If there are drawbacks please tell me! If you know of any other good scanners that are $120 or less please let me know. I need a scanner that can pick up frequencies clearly for at least 15-20 miles. Thanks

TurkPHL

I have a Radio Shack PRO-83.
    Scanners can actually pick up thousands of miles. I read in the the manual, it is rare though.

We were driving out to CA in August and we were in Arizona about 3-4 hours away from Albuquerque NM and I was picking up their ground! Also a few cell phone calls in the middle..

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Comment

Scanner

quote:
      Originally posted by Robert:
      I have a Radio Shack PRO-83.
      Scanners can actually pick up thousands of miles. I read in the the manual, it is rare though.

We were driving out to CA in August and we were in Arizona about 3-4 hours away from Albuquerque NM and I was picking up their ground! Also a few cell phone calls in the middle..

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Radio transmissions are a strange thing. They can bounce around the globe and get picked up by you, while in the right conditions, you can see the frigging transmitter tower and get a crappy signal. its not common to get a low power signal from far away, but it is common enough to be experienced here and there, especially if your a radio/CB/HAM buff type person.
      Coyote

Comment

Scanner

There's a review of the Maycom AR108 here
        http://www.strongsignals.net/access/reviews/reviews.cgi?type=display&rtype=f i &class=recv&num=017.

Personally, I'd spend a little more money and get something that covers a wider radion band, but if you just want to listen to ATC at the airport, then the Maycom will do.

[ December 09, 2002 01:54 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by SST2707 ]

Comment

Scanner

I own a Radio Shack Pro-43 scanner which it was 9 years old and finally it died.

Anyway, with that same scanner I had, I was at DCA one day tuning to tower frew. on 119.1 and actually it was a first, it picked up Boston Tower which the freq. was also 119.1. I was like whoa when I heard the controller said "Boston Tower." It was also very faint almost unreadable with a lot of static.

Time for a new scanner for Xmas.

Comment

Scanner

OK well if you say I should get one for a little more money for more quality, which one should i get? I need one $120 or less. Thanks

TurkPHL

Comment

Scanner

quote:
              Originally posted by Coyote:
              Radio transmissions are a strange thing. They can bounce around the globe and get picked up by you, while in the right conditions, you can see the frigging transmitter tower and get a crappy signal. its not common to get a low power signal from far away, but it is common enough to be experienced here and there, especially if your a radio/CB/HAM buff type person.

Yeah they sure are. When I was picking up NM it was actually pretty clear and I was listening to it for a good hour. When I was in Vegas and had a room towards the airport at the Luxor screw going out I'd rather sit in the room and watch the airport.

[img]laff.gif[/img]

Turk - My pro-83 was about $100.00 and I like it, havent had any problems with it either.

Comment

Scanner

So Robert, ar there website for this pro-83 or w/e its called? thanks for the info

TurkPHL

Comment

Scanner

quote:
                  So Robert, ar there website for this pro-83 or w/e its called? thanks for the info

TurkPHL

Its on RadioShacks.

Which would be http://www.radioshack.com

You might have to look around a bit but I'm sure its there.

Comment

Scanner

Where is that pro-83, i have been searching the site for like 15 min. now, still havent found it, any other site you know of?

TurkPHL

Comment

Scanner

quote:
                      Where is that pro-83, i have been searching the site for like 15 min. now, still havent found it, any other site you know of?

TurkPHL

Hmm I dont know try going to www.ask.com or www.google.com and typing in Pro 83 scanner or Radio Shack pro 83 scanner and see what pops up.. Or just stop by your local radio shack and check them out..........

Comment

Scanner

Guys, guys... go for Uniden... Maycom's are crap [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Either the Bearcat 220XLT or its older brother 3000XLT !
                        Thomas Lorentzen
                        Oslo, Norway
                        100% Digital
                        Canon D30 DSLR

Comment

Scanner

Radio Shack doesn't sell the Pro-83 on there website. I just checked.

Today I'm buying me a Pro-95 scanner at RAdio Shack for $150.

Comment

Scanner

quote:
                            Originally posted by Kevin Cook:
                            Radio Shack doesn't sell the Pro-83 on there website. I just checked.

Today I'm buying me a Pro-95 scanner at RAdio Shack for $150.

No but they have them at the stores.

[img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Comment

Scanner

I have been using an AR-108 for years, and am absolutely satisfied. It's small, light and handy, and my permanent companion on every visit to my airport. I do not know of any better set at this price.

On my desk I use a Uniden Bearcat 9000XLT, which is a fantastic machine, but as mentioned, it is a desktop scanner.

I would not like to exchange my AR-108 for any other handheld I have seen so far!

Regards,
                              Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X