USA Jet DC-9 Crash in Mexico.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jet DC-9 Crash in Mexico.

One of the pilots was killed and the other was seriously injured. My condolences to the families and friends of those involved and those at USA Jet.

Road

Rumor has it they touched down on an adjacent road called "libramiento" which is a loop that surrounds the southern border of the airport.

According to the local newspaper, the crew never checked in with the Saltillo tower. Saltillo has a single CAT II runway, surrounded by mountains.

The Captain who was killed was an experienced 7,000 hour pilot. The first officer was badly burned and is in critical condition.

Last edited by Gulfstream; 2008-07-07, 02:02. Reason: Crew Update

Comment

The accident involved this airframe:
      [photoid=5848008]
      JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Thanks for the info Anthony and Gulfstream. It turns out I have a shot of it in the database.
        It's very sobering any time pilots with that amount of hours still crash.

Comment

Yea lookin at Gulfstreams pic it was indeed a road he landed on. Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

Ugh, if the F/O will be able to remember the crash, he'll probably have a bad case of PTSD. Lets hope he makes it through the next few months in good shape.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Puzzling

Given they landed on a road, I'm wondering what caused the damage, since they were still on the road when coming to rest. Brings to mind the Southern on-road landing years ago had similar results.
              ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
              Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Jay
                Given they landed on a road, I'm wondering what caused the damage, since they were still on the road when coming to rest. Brings to mind the Southern on-road landing years ago had similar results.
                I thought it said they origionally landed on a road nearby the road they came to a rest on. Either way, the road could have curved or they could have impacted street lights, tress, road signs, billboards, ect.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Video of the crash

Here's a link to the video of the crash...

Comment

Hmm, that plane is bankin 40+ degrees either direction right b4 impact. They figure out what caused the crash?

Comment

Spanish comments on the video

A quick translation on the Spanish video:

The captain (ex-president of the pilots and owners association of Saltillo) explains on the video that the plane came with no control at all... approaching at 45 degrees to the runway.

In his opinion this was caused by a problem in the primary flight controls, and possibly, there were also problems with the engines.

The reporter asks why they didn't communicate with the control tower if they had electrical power (landing lights on).

The captain explains that the most likely cause is that the pilots were having problems from 5-10 minutes before, and they gave priority to landing. Serious problems controlling the aircraft, because they couldn't communicate with the tower.

They also mentioned that because of the aircraft problems, when they saw they couldn't make it to the runway, they aimed towards the highway next to the airport.

If anyone is interested, I may post a full translation in the following days.

Comment

^^^
                        Thanks for the translation and explanation.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the way the plane was banking back and forth seemed very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by areynaldos
                            A quick translation on the Spanish video:

The captain (ex-president of the pilots and owners association of Saltillo) explains on the video that the plane came with no control at all... approaching at 45 degrees to the runway.

In his opinion this was caused by a problem in the primary flight controls, and possibly, there were also problems with the engines.

The reporter asks why they didn't communicate with the control tower if they had electrical power (landing lights on).

The captain explains that the most likely cause is that the pilots were having problems from 5-10 minutes before, and they gave priority to landing. Serious problems controlling the aircraft, because they couldn't communicate with the tower.

They also mentioned that because of the aircraft problems, when they saw they couldn't make it to the runway, they aimed towards the highway next to the airport.

If anyone is interested, I may post a full translation in the following days.
                            Of course this is all assumption, and not based on fact at all.

Comment

Yes, and the captain being interviewed says its only his opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X