Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo requests for "Personal use"

Hi all,

In the past I've received emails from people wanting a 2MB or larger copy of photos for "Personal use". Now I don't really understand why they would want something that large, unless they are going to have it either printed, or use it for commercial use.

Am I wrong to reject their requests? Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning.

I upload my photos at 1200x800 x ~500kb.

Your comments please.

Carsten

Edit. Have received another request for the image, so that it can be printed 16" x 20". In my book that means loss of money to me, since I regularly print and frame my photos for friends.

Originally posted by numloxx
    Am I wrong to reject their requests?
    NO !
    Here's a great discussion on that very topic which Phil has adressed quite well in my opinion - Link

Cheers - Vishal

Comment

A few weeks ago, someone asked me a similar question.
      A particular photo, 2 MB size, for his own personal collection of that aircrat.

But I don't have pics that size.
      I send him the original JPEG-photo (1 MB) for free, not knowing that such questions are quite usual for misusing pictures.

I've learned my lesson now.
      If I don't know who the other guy is, I won't give him my pics for free again.

Thanks for the link Vishal!!

Freek

Comment

Agreed, I know myslef i've received many emails (usually from the same person) asking for 2mb files for their "personal" 777 or whatever collection. I've always wondered why they'd want that, and if it's for their personal collection, why can't they right click save the copy of JP?

Comment

Yes, 777, name of Dannis...?

Comment

^^ Yea I have had a T7 request from Dannis. I remember that name, should be Dennis lol.

Comment

Daanis Bord aka. Borduas - [email protected]
              I have recieved emails from this gentlemen on a few occasions requesting me for a '2mb+' image file.
              To "make a picture for my personal collection like 16"x20"

I havent yet emailed anyone such a thing, and plus i realised the mistake of not watermarking my images after a magazine stole these photos of mine & printed it on their damn front page & the cover story page respectively.

[photoid=6159188] [photoid=6153141]

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara
                Daanis Bord aka. Borduas - [email protected]
                I have recieved emails from this gentlemen on a few occasions requesting me for a '2mb+' image file.
                To "make a picture for my personal collection like 16"x20"

I havent yet emailed anyone such a thing, and plus i realised the mistake of not watermarking my images after a magazine stole these photos of mine & printed it on their damn front page & the cover story page respectively.

I was dumb and sent a copy of a picture of Thai´s A340-600 landing @ EDDM..

By the way, did you send a bill afterwards to the magazine?
                ---------Ilkka---------
                My photos at Airliners.net
                My photos at Jetphotos.net

Comment

Also to me in the past was requested shots of 777 Singapore and Emirates...

I sent those shots...

Now of 340-600 of they airways....

But i haven't sent them to this man.

I don't think those are for his personal use.

Fabio

Comment

I, too, was approached by this person, asking for a large version of a KLM 777. I sent it to him, though it was the original, not processed version.

Have I done wrong? He told me it was for a private collection.

I can, however, understand that he wants a larger version than the ones uploaded on the site, because 1024 is not as good as, say, 1600.

Please keep us informed about this person or what his intentions are.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilkka
                      By the way, did you send a bill afterwards to the magazine?
                      Things dont quite work that way in India, believe me Ikka you wouldnt want to hear what followed.

Comment

They work that way if you have the balls to get paid for your work. No one would ever use my photos for free with my knowledge or without my permission. You can bet they'd be receiving a bill and/or a call from a lawyer.
                        Tanner Johnson - Owner
                        twenty53 Photography

Comment

I too had a similar approach this last weekend and took the decision not to reply. Glad to see this thread as it confirms my conclusion!!

Comment

I was the reason Phil @ NYCA brought up that thread. "Dannis" or whatever the hell his name is was asking for a hi-res file of a few T7's I shot. I politely declined and offered to print and mail him the photos he wanted. He refused. My conclusion is, he ain't using them for his personal collection. Just a heads up.

Comment

But how can I find out that he DID use a picture not for private usage?

I cannot buy all magazines in the world to check, can I?

Comment

Working...
                              X