Three planes collide on the ground!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three planes collide on the ground!

Sounds like someone had a bad day, thankfully no one was hurt.

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) -
    A three-plane ground crash at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport could have become an explosive disaster.
    It happened at the new regional maintenance hangar for Atlantic Southeast Airlines, or ASA. The total value to the three CRJ commuter jets is $100 million and it looks like the most expensive one is a total loss.
    The entire incident reportedly took five seconds.
    A young mechanic pressed a starter switch to slowly spin the compressor blades for cleaning. Instead, her action sent the engine to immediate takeoff power, hurling the fragile aircraft at 90 degree angles.
    Witnesses say it's a wonder the entire hangar wasn't sent up in flames, not to mention injury or death to the 14 ASA mechanics and cleaning crew members working inside.

How big is this hanger where the jet could have accelerated to a speed leading to a collision big enough to wipe out the facility? Jet engines take a bit to spool from start up 2 full power. A rather long bit. The jet would have been lucky to hit 20mph from one side of the hanger to the other. I call sensationlism on the medias part.

Comment

There is soooooo much wrong with that story it is hard to know where to start. Explosive because of this???? Turbine engines do not immediate jump to take off power when running normally much less being motored with the starter. Once again the medial show how stupid they really are.
      My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

Comment

I know what she was thinking after.

Wanna get away?

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
          There is soooooo much wrong with that story it is hard to know where to start. Explosive because of this???? Turbine engines do not immediate jump to take off power when running normally much less being motored with the starter. Once again the medial show how stupid they really are.
          Actually, the rumor that I've heard from a couple people is that the mechanic was trying to drymotor (turn the engines with the starter) to get rid of any liquid that might be left in the engine after cleaning. Unfortunately for whatever reason one of the thrust levers was not only above the shutoff detent, but had takeoff thrust selected.

Seeing that the CRJ-700 has FADEC, it makes starting the engine quite foolproof. So with the thrust lever above shut-off, when the N2 got high enough the computer went ahead and added fuel.

The 700 involved was actually the first one that I flew when I started here.

Comment

What a mess. However, I don't see how in 5 seconds the CRJ could have gone fast enough to cause a bloody and giant explosion.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Actually, the rumor that I've heard from a couple people is that the mechanic was trying to drymotor (turn the engines with the starter) to get rid of any liquid that might be left in the engine after cleaning. Unfortunately for whatever reason one of the thrust levers was not only above the shutoff detent, but had takeoff thrust selected.

Seeing that the CRJ-700 has FADEC, it makes starting the engine quite foolproof. So with the thrust lever above shut-off, when the N2 got high enough the computer went ahead and added fuel.

The 700 involved was actually the first one that I flew when I started here.
              Which aircraft was written off? Or did the news get that wrong and none were?

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                Well, they said it was the most expensive one. Seeing as there were 2 CR2s and 1 CR7, I would say it was the CR7 which was written off.
                sigpic
                http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269
                  The last I heard they're not entirely sure yet, some people from Bombardier are down taking a look.

Comment

Flying Farmer

Well, folks, Farmer Joe is hand-propping his Piper Cub...
                    Oh no, the engine fired up !!
                    Oh no Farmer Joe is holding onto the wing !
                    Oh no the Cub has taken off with Farmer Joe holding onto the wing !!!
                    ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                    Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Potential for Fire

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      What a mess. However, I don't see how in 5 seconds the CRJ could have gone fast enough to cause a bloody and giant explosion.

It's not too hard to imagine that a fuel tank is ruptured and something, anything, setting it off. Then three aircraft, all with fuel aboard, go off like fury.

Comment

What would happen to the young mechanic in this instance?

I assume he would be given a nickname at work at the very least.
                        Everyone made like DB Cooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin_Ed
                          It's not too hard to imagine that a fuel tank is ruptured and something, anything, setting it off. Then three aircraft, all with fuel aboard, go off like fury.
                          Hmmm, while not certified for any jet type aircraft yet (hopefully in the next 10 months) the couple of jets I've say jump seat in the engines spooling time is rediculous compared to a prop where u push and go. IN a huge non-exsistent hangar 1000' across assuming he had the full 1000' to accelerate from a power off start I would honestly be amazed if the the plane got over 20mph while waiting for ice-cold engines 2 spool.

Comment

Ice Cold Doesn't Matter With Jets

Originally posted by bob12312357
                            .......I would honestly be amazed if the the plane got over 20mph while waiting for ice-cold engines 2 spool.

Ice cold doesn't matter with turbines. They can go from 0 to 100% in no time, regardless of temperature.

Further, it doesn't require much speed to seriously damage colliding planes. They're fragile, otherwise they would be too heavy to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
                              There was NO way that it could have exploded if one of the planes had enough velocity to hit the wing and spill fuel out of it. There are things you have to do when you want to start an engine. Making it just cycle or spin without fuel could be accomplished but certain things have to be done to start it. he should have put on the brakes before doing that. Just another story where mechanics are told to make sure they have the brakes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X