Qantas mid-air decompression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mawheatley
    "I'm looking at the plane now and on the left-hand side, just forward of the wing, there's a gaping hole from the wing to the underbody," she said.

I wonder if that matches the one on the right side of the fuselage - the one in Cargorunner's picture above!!
    Left and right are totally dependent on your point of view. Statements in the press are always subject to the experience of the person doing the interview and the person being interviewed
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
      Left and right are totally dependent on your point of view. Statements in the press are always subject to the experience of the person doing the interview and the person being interviewed
      And of course the direction in which the aircraft was moving when it happened!!
      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1
        Something exploded in the cargo compartment...I wonder if QANTAS is required to carry a spare main tire in their Fly Away Box?, could be an over inflated spare tire blowing up?
        Airlines generally keep the flykit in the aft/bulk area where spare tires are kept in a partial inflated condition, fully inflated once installed. Dead tires will be depressurized before they are even pulled off the axle.

I do, however, think the oxygen bottles are in that area.

Comment

I wonder how many pieces of luggages are floating somewhere in the midle of the Pacific today?
          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

That is bizarre. How old is this airframe?

Comment

This may be a stupid question but is the cargo compartment pressurized?

Comment

Originally posted by Vinco

I believe so.

Comment

It doesn't look like the "hole" itself is that big. It just looks like material around the hole was ripped off as well. At any rate, I'm just glad the crew got down okay. Leave it to the media to make you think explosion put the plane into a giant terrifying freefall.

I wonder what caused this, was the airframe getting old?
                  sigpic
                  http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Here's a closeup.

What is that stuff sticking out? It looks more like trash bags than luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinco
                      Yes. The cargo compartments of the 747 are pressurized.
                      Don
                      Standard practice for managers around the world:
                      Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by alanh
                        Here's a closeup.

What is that stuff sticking out? It looks more like trash bags than luggage.
                        MAIL BAGS...PROBABLY DHL, FEDEX OR ANY OTHER COMPANY MAIL BAGS!
                        THEY ARE LIGHT WEIGHT, AND WAS THE FIRST STUFF THAT GOT SUCKED FROM THE CARGO COMPARTMENT..!..
                        A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by Avion1
                          MAIL BAGS...PROBABLY DHL, FEDEX OR ANY OTHER COMPANY MAIL BAGS!
                          THEY ARE LIGHT WEIGHT, AND WAS THE FIRST STUFF THAT GOT SUCKED FROM THE CARGO COMPARTMENT..!..
                          ...What?

Anyway, I just saw on the local news, "A Qantas 747 plunges 20,000 feet over the Pacific full of terrified passangers."

Ugh.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

AVION1, just so you know not one post you have made has been accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                              AVION1, just so you know not one post you have made has been accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                                That is bizarre. How old is this airframe?
                                VH-OJK Boeing 747-438 (Longreach) 25067 / 857 0091 0691 4 RR RB211-524G/H-T 396893 F14C50Y315 LQ-BH Newcastle

17 years give or take, Clovis.

next trips
                                USA/DXB August.

Comment

Working...
                                X