No announcement yet.

Spanair 5022 Off Runway In Madid on T/O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the first reason to return to the gate should have been an defect temperatur indicator. The last general check of the plane was in january this year.

Comment

Maybe they pulled the wrong fire extinguisher? OK, not very probable, since they wouldn't do that so soon after TO, I guess?

Very sad accident.

Comment

Re:

A front air intake valve had in fact overheated, and it seems the plane was on its second takeoff attempt.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080821/...rport_accident

R.I.P

Comment

Hi Gerardo,

I understand your concerns but this makes me wonder why they were priority screened in first place if (part of) the JP crew does not feel good about it!? Can't really blame the photographers as they likely would have uploaded the shots anyway. And, I must admit I also contributed to the high number of hits of the photos in question without the intention of being disrespectful.

Sorry for the OT, again.
          Last edited by philip; 2008-08-21, 15:11.
          greetings,
          Philip

Comment

Whole Thread is a New Low

This thread is far worse than the Daily Mail, the Daily News, The National Enquirer, or the worst of cable TV coverage. Total misinformation from post number one, wild speculation, hyporcitical hand-wringing over The Horror, The Horror, and look at the visitor count today ? Our normally sleepy forum has 15 visitors on an average day, but today hundreds of ghoul rubberneckers oogling the virtual wreckage like a paparazzi festival around Paris Hilton's latest car wreck of a life. It was a dark and stormy night, what did you expect ?

Actually I wrote the above paragraph just to exercise my talents for the upcoming Paul Clifford Worst Writing Ever Contest.
            ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
            Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board said it will send investigators to assist in the inquiry.
              WHY No disrespect (to the yanks) but surely Europe has enough Aviation Authorities and expertise in crash investigation to deal with this without the NTSB sticking their nose...

If I was a relative I would expect the Spanish CAA to deal with this in the first instance followed by some of their European counterparts, this would be like Japan saying they were sending a team in to help with the inquiry...

Comment

Seriously dont speculate until full facts are known. I give full credit to the emergency crews facing not only a aircraft accident but also a grass fire which would have been going like the clappers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cargo Runner
                  WHY No disrespect (to the yanks) but surely Europe has enough Aviation Authorities and expertise in crash investigation to deal with this without the NTSB sticking their nose...

If I was a relative I would expect the Spanish CAA to deal with this in the first instance followed by some of their European counterparts, this would be like Japan saying they were sending a team in to help with the inquiry...
                  Well, the aircraft was made in the United States, and the NTSB has a lot of experience, including one other major MD-80 crash. Maybe their input was requested. Which ever agency is investigating is probably the last thing on the minds of the victims/relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Cargo Runner

No offense taken. It is an excellant question. Sometimes the NTSB is invited because they have expertise that may be helpful in addition to what the EU has. Sometimes they go to learn if this a systemic problem to be addressed in the US.

My gut tells me they can't be involved unless they are invited though.

Comment

Regarding the pictures being uploaded after the crash, I don't really see a problem with people uploading the pictures after the crash. It is a strange feeling to have a picture of an aircraft that has crashed, especially when it was taken only a few days before the crash. I don't think it's all that appalling that the photographer would want to share the photo. I do, however, agree that it is sort of in bad taste to have it has a hot photo.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                        Regarding the pictures being uploaded after the crash, I don't really see a problem with people uploading the pictures after the crash. It is a strange feeling to have a picture of an aircraft that has crashed, especially when it was taken only a few days before the crash. I don't think it's all that appalling that the photographer would want to share the photo. I do, however, agree that it is sort of in bad taste to have it has a hot photo.
                        Yeah, I agree except for one thing. I think they have every right to make it a hot photo. People OBVIOUSLY would like to see shots of the aircraft involved, a hot photo is just a way for people to easily find these without typing in the reg number. Its been done for every other crash I can think of, yet its creating a shitstorm for this one. Why?
                        sigpic
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

First, my condolence to the families and friends. Second, I wonder if someone in here has the M.E.L. for that aircraft and if that valve can be defered as a D.M.I. in the maintenance logbook?
                          And also, this accident is similar to that American Airlines DC-10 in Chicago, loss of an engine, loss of hydraulic fluids (I assume this), aircraft airborne and veering to the side of the runway and crashing.
                          Again, we are just assuming things..

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Lets not assume.
                            sigpic
                            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Just curious if anyone may have any info on the Captain or the F.O. on this flight? Or who may have possibly been flying at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by scottkin
                                Just curious if anyone may have any info on the Captain or the F.O. on this flight? Or who may have possibly been flying at the time?
                                Why would it matter if the captain or FO was at the controls?

Comment

Working...
                                X