CMOS Dust Spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMOS Dust Spots?

Both photos were rejected for dust spots. Said to be on the left side of the photo. The ERJ "Left, below the fuselage" and the 738 "Left border, below".

I can't seem to find the spot. Both appeals were rejected. I still don't see any spots. The camera is 2 weeks old and I've changed lenses like 4 times...how can i have dust spots already?

Hey there, each photo seems to have one dust spot (that i can see),

Dust spots become very easy to see when you equalize your photo. this is found in image->adjustments->equalize.

Its common for a new DSLR to have dust spots right out of the factory, some ways of ensuring that you reduce dust is turning the camera off when swapping lenses, having the camera face down and naturally, having fast and clean lens swaps.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Now I see them. As faint as they are I would imagine it was dust on my lens. I guess I'll have to keep my rocket blower more handy next time.

Comment

Very definitely dust.....

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra
          Now I see them. As faint as they are I would imagine it was dust on my lens. I guess I'll have to keep my rocket blower more handy next time.
          That dust is 99.99% definately not on your lens. The camera tends to simply see straight through specks of dust on the lens itself. Have you ever noticed how chain link fences can disappear sometimes when viewed through a telephoto lens on DSLR's when you're close to them? Obviously when you stop the lens down the fence becomes visible, but it demonstrates how the lens sees things, and it won't see the odd speck of dust on the front, or even internal elements.

You will, however, see dust on your sensor which is what this is. It's easily eradicated from your photo using the clone tool, or better, the spot healing tool. Eventually you'll get sick and tired of cloning out dust spots and want to clean your sensor, and there are several ways to do that. The best way I've found is using Sensor Swabs. Basically these are flat plastic blades that match the width of your sensor (around 15mm for APS-C or Nikon DX-format cameras). They're covered in lint free material that you apply a cleaning solution to, set your camera to 'sensor clean' mode so the mirror flips up and the shutter opens and then you literally wipe the sensor clean. I'd recommend getting someone familiar with this technique to show you first, though. It's scarey the first time you do it!

Paul
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Well that is a little discouraging no more than I've swapped lenses. Is there any chance running my air blower over the sensor itself rather than the mirror could possibly clear the problem? I really don't want to touch the sensor if I don't have to. I don't know anyone around me that knows how to operate a DSLR so I have no one to demonstrate it for me.

Comment

As suggested in many existing posts about sensor cleaning Sensor Swabs or similar, although expensive, may be the best way to get rid of dustspots. The problem with blowers is that they often re-locate the dust instead of removing it. Don't worry about touching the sensor with swabs, if you are carfeul and read instuctions like the one linked below there is not much that can go wrong.

Oh and btw, if you think you have a dust problem here is how my sensor looked like after being to lazy to clean it for months. It takes ages to edit these pictures...after that I realized once again that investing in proper cleaning equipment is worth the money

Last edited by philip; 2008-08-20, 23:25.
              greetings,
              Philip

Comment

woaaa...that is some serious dust philip!

Speed is life... Altitude is life insurance

Comment

Ha Phillip! You think that's bad! About a year ago i sneezed in the chamber of my 10D while rocket blowing it and managed to get some residue stuck to the sensor! Was a giant smear covering half the sensor! LOL All cleaned and fixed now but looked bloody awful!

Chris
                  Chris Sharps
                  5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                  17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                  24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                  1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Philip that is a disgrace!

Comment

Working...
                    X