Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand drive Chevy Caprice police/security car with red/blue beacons = USA ?

Not Arabia...police/security have blue beacons only there....I think...well, they did when I was there !

( I 'aint gone to China yet !!! )
    Last edited by brianw999; 2009-11-07, 17:11.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Left hand drive Chevy Caprice police/security car with red/blue beacons = USA ?

Not Arabia...police/security have blue beacons only there....I think...well, they did when I was there !

( I 'aint gone to China yet !!! )
      I can confirm it ain't arabia.
      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
        I can confirm it ain't arabia.
        Oh well, there's a bit of the World covered ...

... now to some detective work!

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        Day after tomorrow I leave the shores of the UK, for a trip to China, for 11 days,
        Catch you when you're back. Enjoy!, Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Peter, Peter, I do believe
          A very good poet you won't have to be
          I'm a sleuth of much talent a detective of course
          I believe I can see: Coleman A Young International Airport

... Detroit, Michigan, USA (DET, KDET)

Pray, tell me Peter
          Is it true that I see
          KDET on the thread?
          Please, answer for me

Paul
          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 20:05.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Ok, which label did I miss. Cause I am looking over the photo and can't find anything legible.

Your right though.

Comment

Ok, which label did I miss. Cause I am looking over the photo and can't find anything legible.
              Neither did I, or can I, find anything legible.

Comment

• Then, how did you know? You can't be that one person that actually visited the place can you?

Comment

You can't be that one person that actually visited the place can you?
                  Never been to Detroit at all.

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                  Then, how did you know?
                  I didn't know, until...

... I looked at the photo, had supper, came back and followed up my primary lines of inquiry

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
                    ... I looked at the photo, had supper, came back and followed up my primary lines of inquiry
                    You keep for secrets for now. Just know that I am gonna call for a few favours from my Schiphol based collegues. Be affraid, be very affraid, for people in black cars, people in black vans, people in black helicopters and people on black pogosticks when you are here!

disclaimer: The colour of black was merely choosed for intimidation. In real life above mentioned vehicles are yellow with red stripes and DHL logos painted everywhere.

Comment

You keep for secrets for now. Just know that I am gonna call for a few favours from my Schiphol based collegues. Be affraid, be very affraid, for people in black cars, people in black vans, people in black helicopters and people on black pogosticks when you are here!

disclaimer: The colour of black was merely choosed for intimidation. In real life above mentioned vehicles are yellow with red stripes and DHL logos painted everywhere.
                      Oooooooer! ......

..... careful with those pogosticks Peter, Black Magic always backfires and your friends don't want one of those firing back while they're sitting on them ... DHL logos and stripes can be painful if they end up being delivered to the wrong place

Check your private messages
                      Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 00:12.

Comment

• Dear JP.Net detective (JP.Det)

Since I now have cotrol of this aircraft it is incumbent upon me to provide the next "Name That Airport" challenge. Along with this challenge I thought it would be good to briefly outline some "rules" to the game that grew out of and seems to have been enjoyed on my last offering.

Rules of the game:

1. The pilot is not obliged to answer any question directly but (s)he is obliged to reward questions with helpful information or clues (e.g. photos, videos, music etc.)

2. The information can either be given outright or be given as an answer to a challenge or as a set of tasks that make up a challenge.

3. The Pilot is obliged to explain each challenge clearly.

4. Any information given does not have to be directly related to questions that the JP.Det's have asked but it must lead to some relevant information which the JP.Det's didn't know for certain before.

5. The answer to a challenge must be unambiguous to understand but the information does not necessarily have to be complete (e.g. "The airport is in America" is very clear to understand but it does not tell you if the airport is in South America or North America (the information is ambiguous, not the answer)).

6. The pilot is obliged to respond to every question asked but (s)he is not obliged to give an answer. For example, you could ask: "Where is the airport?" and you might receive the answer "That's a VERY clever question, but you will have to work VERY hard for the answer!"

7. If The Pilot chooses not to answer a question, (s)he must must give a reasonable explanation for not doing so and / or give guidance (Pilot = Guide, Oxford Reference Dictionary)

8. The Pilot reserves the right to put questions into a holding pattern in the stack if (s)he has set a challenge which hasn't yet been completed. However, (s)he is equally at liberty to continue to answer certain questions during that time if (s)he wants to.

9. It is the detective's task to disambiguate information by considering what has been given and, if necessary, asking questions about it in order to find the airport (this rule actually describes the whole game!).

10. It is the Pilot's task to make sure that the airport is eventually found.

General Guidance:

The closer that the JP.Dets are to the airport, the more they will have to work for new information.

The Pilot reserves the right to be imperfect. If something looks like it might be misleading (e.g. the labels on the fish episode in my last challenge) help him / her to help you.... question it.

The Pilot is obliged to resolve any misunderstandings once (s)he is made aware of them and, if an error has mislead the JP.Dets, to make the situation clear. The Pilot is also obliged to reward detectives for bringing any errors to light.

Name That Airport

The Pilot says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, in order to get to our destination you are respectfully reminded to read the safety instructions above.

We are waiting for clearance for push back but cannot do so until the first challenge has been successfully completed.

Once we are taxying you will be guided through another simple challenge which will allow you to know more about our destination and allow us to receive clearance for take off.

Once in the air you are reminded that all automatic equipment, questioning devices for example, should remain switched off until the seatbelt signs have been turned off.

1) Your first fact about this airport is that it is situated on this planet, Earth.

2) Your first challenge is:

Which continent does the point 70 degrees South, 150 degrees East lie on?

A correct reply will be rewarded with 2 pieces of information about this airport and will allow us to push back and taxi out to the runway threshold.

Will the poet in seat 17F please contact a crew member, thank you.

We wish you a pleasant flight to who_knows_where? and ask for your full co-operation at this time in order to get airborne.

Thank you

OK JP.Dets, over to you!

Paul
                        Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 18:33.

Comment

• Antarctica.

( 22 hours before I fly out ! )
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            Antarctica.

( 22 hours before I fly out ! )
                            The Chief Flight Attendant (Chief FA) says:

Ah Brian, it's good to see you. Welcome aboard and I see you have your parachute with you!

Thanks for the information and here's some for you and the rest of the JP.Det members:

We won't be flying over Antarctica or the region known as The Arctic on this flight.

The First Officer (FO) says:

Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen; we've been given clearance to push back and taxi along runway Lima to hold point Charley for a westerly departure this morning but the Tower has requested that we resolve a slight technical hitch before we can get clearance for take off.

Challenge 2

a) What is the name of the world's largest island that is not a continent itself?

b) Which continent is this island part of?
                            Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 18:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
                              Challenge 2

a) What is the name of the world's largest island that is not a continent itself?

b) Which continent is this island part of?
                              a) Greenland (2,130,800 km2).
                              b) North American continent (note: politically part of European continent, specifically Denmark)

Comment

a) Greenland (2,130,800 km2).
                                b) North American continent (note: politically part of European continent, specifically Denmark)
                                The Chief FA says:

Peter, good to see you again, welcome aboard and thanks very much for that excellent, politically correct, information!

We'll do everything we can to help you enjoy this flight which, incidentally, will not be going to North America.

Up on the flightdeck the Tower breaks through to the pilots' headsets:

JPD002 cleared for take-off Two-Seven-Left

They push the throttles forwards and the aircraft rolls down the runway...

"V1".... "Rotate"..... we are airborne.

JPD002; contact JP Departures on One-Two-Three-Decimal-Zero

The crew contact Departures and they're told that there's a lot of traffic about so they might need a stepped-climb unless they can help them out with some information and get up to crusing altitude quickly.

Of course, once at cruising altitude, you will get served breakfast, but the guy in seat 17F pipes up...

The Poet says:

The crew they just told me
                                I can talk all I like
                                To get us to our destination
                                And have a pleasant flight

I see you are hungry
                                For your first major clue
                                So when we get to breakfast
                                I'll show you a photoooooooooh!

Challenge 3:

The Flight Attendant (FA) says:

I read somewhere (mmm, now where was it?... mmmm) that you never see dead penguins in Antarctica.

I don't really want to know if you do or don't but what I really want to know.... really, really want to know.... (I wanna, I wanna, I wanna... oh, stop it!) is if it could be mainly because the polar bears eat them.

What do you think?

You must answer "Yes" or "No" and explain your answer.

The quicker you have the answer, the quicker breakfast will be served!

Happy thinking!
                                Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 22:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X