Flight Plan System Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Plan System Failure?

I just heard about this on the news. Apparently, a flight plan computer at the Atlanta airport has failed and now there are massive delays up and down the eastern U.S. The major eastern hubs have been affected as have other smaller airports. BOS and a few other airports have had ground stops and ground stops are expected. A bit ago I checked Flightstats and the FAA website's system map, and through both sites I read messages for ORD and MDW and other airports. The status messages for ORD and MDW read Equipment: ATL NADIN OUTAGE What's NADIN btw? At any rate, looks like this is a mainly eastern U.S. outage, right now airports in the western half are not affected. Anyone else have more info?

NADIN is the "National Airspace Data Interchange Network", or basically the system that allows airlines and pilots in general to auto-file their flight plans with the FAA. Certain flights, most notably "airline" flights, are required to have flight plans on file before they can be allowed to depart. There are two NADIN severs in the U.S. that can accept automatic flightplan filing, one is in a facility south of ATL, the other is in SLC. The ATL server went down on Tues just after 1pm I believe. The SLC server picked up some of the backlog of flightplans, but it's not designed to be a complete and total backup, so flights had to be delayed and canceled because of it. ATL, ORD/MDW, BOS were the main airports affected. The system was back up and running by Wed morn, but the damage had already been done, and there is still no word on what the exact cause of the outage was, only that this isn't the first time it's happened.

Comment

Working...
    X