A Canadair named "Stretch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Canadair named "Stretch"

All signs go for the CRJ-1000. Can't wait to see this thing in an American Eagle or United Express livery.

http://www.bombardier.com/en/corporate/med...901260d80046028

CRJ1000 NextGen Jetliner Prototype Has Successful First Flight

September 3, 2008 — Toronto
    Aerospace

Bombardier Aerospace announced today that the prototype CRJ1000 NextGen jetliner, serial number 19991, made its successful inaugural flight from the Bombardier facility at Mirabel, Québec.

The flight, crewed by pilots Jacques Thibaudeau and Chuck Ellis and flight test engineer Eugene Lardizabal took off at 10:02 a.m. EDT and lasted three hours and 25 minutes. It reached an altitude of 30,000 feet (9,144 m) and a maximum speed of 260 knots (481 km/h).

“We put the gear up, operated the flaps and slats and exercised our new ‘Fly-by-Wire’ rudder,” said Mr. Thibaudeau. “ All systems worked as they were designed to do. The aircraft handled similarly to the smaller CRJ900 airliner so flight crews will have no problem in transitioning to the 100-seat CRJ1000 NextGen aircraft.”

“A first flight is an important milestone in the development of a new aircraft such as the CRJ1000 NextGen regional jet,” said Jean-Guy Blondin, Director CRJ Programs, Bombardier Commercial Aircraft. “We are very satisfied with the readiness of our prototype which is embarking on its journey to Type Certification, thanks to the dedicated work of our suppliers and employees.”

And there you have it, the first quadruple-stretched plane taking off .

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
    Can't wait to see this thing in an American Eagle or United Express livery.
    Not gonna happen, in that seat range the plane would have to be flown by mainline pilots, and for that both AA and UA would only go with a plane family that would then actually have larger family members, say like the C-Series, or to a certain degree the E-Jets.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
      And there you have it, the first quadruple-stretched plane taking off .

Not gonna happen, in that seat range the plane would have to be flown by mainline pilots, and for that both AA and UA would only go with a plane family that would then actually have larger family members, say like the C-Series, or to a certain degree the E-Jets.
      How do you figure? Its a mere 10 seats larger than the CRJ-900. As noted in the article the plane feels and flies much like its little brother, making the transition for CRJ-900 pilots a breeze. I would imagine Mesa or ASA might pick up a few in US Airways Express or Delta Connection colors.

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
        How do you figure? Its a mere 10 seats larger than the CRJ-900.
        Exactly, which means it's too large to be operated by regional airlines under the scope clauses of the major airlines. The upper limit for all airlines these days is pretty much at 76 seats, which is why CR9s are being operated in a 2-class layout, and I doubt any airline would be willing to get a CR10 and only equip it with 76 seats, as that would mean around 20 F seats, way too many for a plane its size.

Comment

Exactly, which means it's too large to be operated by regional airlines under the scope clauses of the major airlines. The upper limit for all airlines these days is pretty much at 76 seats, which is why CR9s are being operated in a 2-class layout, and I doubt any airline would be willing to get a CR10 and only equip it with 76 seats, as that would mean around 20 F seats, way too many for a plane its size.
          Ahh. I think I remember reading a bit about these clauses back in one of my lower level management courses. If I still have my book I think it has the exact seat limitations broken down by airline.

Totally forgot about that.

Comment

Were you around when the scope clause "line in the sand" was only 19 seats? I was and I'm not that old. My point is don't go betting that the scope clause won't change, they have before, many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
              Were you around when the scope clause "line in the sand" was only 19 seats? I was and I'm not that old. My point is don't go betting that the scope clause won't change, they have before, many times.
              The reason most of the scope clauses are where they are is that they were negotiated before the advent of the RJ. When the pilot unions signed away scope to 76 seats, they were doing so because their membership didn't want to fly much of the smaller turboprop equipment. What they failed to predict, however, was that Regional Jets would come into popularity. Now, with a lot of flying being farmed out to regionals, I wouldn't expect to see pilot groups give in on scope.

Comment

Originally posted by Bok269 View Post
                The reason most of the scope clauses are where they are is that they were negotiated before the advent of the RJ. When the pilot unions signed away scope to 76 seats, they were doing so because their membership didn't want to fly much of the smaller turboprop equipment. What they failed to predict, however, was that Regional Jets would come into popularity. Now, with a lot of flying being farmed out to regionals, I wouldn't expect to see pilot groups give in on scope.
                I'd lobby to have an airline let me fly their CRJ-1000...or any of their planes

Comment

Working...
                X