100th Anniversary of First Plane Crash Fatality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100th Anniversary of First Plane Crash Fatality

It was called an "aeroplane," but the contraption Orville Wright piloted on Sept. 17, 1908 was hardly more than a big box kite with a motor. And unlike his famous first flight in 1903, this one was doomed.

Less than five minutes after takeoff, Wright's plane lay smashed, his passenger mortally injured, and the world got an early taste of the perils of flying. It was the first fatal airplane crash in history, according to the Flight Safety Foundation.
    More at link.
    Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

I nearly got mauled 2 death joggin down the street. The point of that article was?

Comment

Originally posted by bob12312357 View Post
      I nearly got mauled 2 death joggin down the street. The point of that article was?
      The point was the 100th anniversary of the first fatal plane crash, Batman.

Comment

Originally posted by bob12312357 View Post
        The point is it's relatively significant date in aviation history. Your story was the completely pointless one.
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD View Post
          The point was the 100th anniversary of the first fatal plane crash, Batman.
          This was the 100th anniversary of the first POWERED fatal plane crash.

There had been several fatal non powered aircraft crashes prior to this.
          Don
          Standard practice for managers around the world:
          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post

Somewhere in a far corner of my brain I seem to recall something about a fatal crash in a powered airplane before the first official flight of the Wright brothers. That fatal "flight" wouldn't count as a first flight because it was not successful. But I can be wrong.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post

Yep, Otto Lilienthal being one.

Comment

um....

idk if this is a good sign, but i'm a commercial aviation enthusiast,

and my birthday is today, september 17th.... um... lol

Comment

You guys are an odd bunch of aviation enthusiasts. Lets celebrate the 1st aviation death. I'm glad none of you are flying commercially.

Comment

Originally posted by VViscount View Post
                    You guys are an odd bunch of aviation enthusiasts. Lets celebrate the 1st aviation death. I'm glad none of you are flying commercially.
                    I suppose the other thread commemorating PSA 182's 30 year anniversary is a celebration? It's called remembrance.

Comment

The difference is people remember and were alive when the PSA accident occurred.

Comment

The difference is people remember and were alive when the PSA accident occurred.
                        I wasn't.

Comment

Many of us wern't. The thread is just pointing out the fact, thats all. Is anyone here happy about any fatalities in aviation? No. So chill out.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I would find an aviation enthusiast not fascinated by aviation accidents to be the truly odd one.

Comment

Originally posted by VViscount
                              Y The difference is people remember and were alive when the PSA accident occurred.
                              Right! Because only people who died when we were alive have any worth and deserve to be remembered.

Comment

Working...
                              X