No announcement yet.

Small plane crash in Nepal "kills 18".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small plane crash in Nepal "kills 18".

BBC website:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Lukla is a high altitude strip lying at 90 degrees to the main Dudh Kosi valley. At the mountain end of the strip terrain rises steeply, while on the valley end there is a sheer drop.
    When I flew in there in '85 stall warnings sounded coming out of the turn to final. A plane wreck was lying near by the runway.
    No room for error, don't think a go around is possible.

Probably a Twin Otter de Havilland DHC-6/300.

German media confirmed 12 german citizens died in this crash, part of a trekking group.

German media is going nuts about this incident at the moment.

Tuned in to an official german radio station (SWR3) and there expert was talking about how outrageously dangerous Lukla is and that it needs to investigated if operation should continue on that airstrip.

Further he stated, and i fell nearly off my chair that "you only have ONE try, thats it! At the end of the runway is a cliff, more than 700meters deep. If you miss to stop by then, you are dead meat. And to make things unacceptable, the whole runway is build on a steep slope, so its even harder to break".

Last time i checked, Lukla was landung UPHILL away from the cliff TOWARDS the steep mountain at the end of the runway, that prevents landings in the direction he described.

German "experts", better than the jokes in most aviation magazines.

/edit
    On a second thought... if an airplane would drive off a 700m cliff... that wouldn't be too bad, would it? I mean most airplanes are actually capable of flight, given a certain amount of speed.....
    Where can i get one of those stylish JP.net banners? - Got it!

Comment

YouTube

has many videos of the airport
      ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
      Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Footage aftermath

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
        X