Ilyushin IL-18D Overshoots in Cabinda, Angola + Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilyushin IL-18D Overshoots in Cabinda, Angola + Video

Not sure if this has been posted yet but i'll post it anyway. If it has, please delete it

An Alada Empresa De Transportes Aereos Ilyushin IL-18D, registration D2-FFR performing a freight flight for DHL, rejected takeoff from Cabinda (Angola) at high speed due to burst tyres and overran the runway end ending up in soft ground. No injuries were reported.

Alada Empresa de Transportes Aereos is an Angolan airline based in Luanda operating 3 AN-32 and 3 IL-18 aircraft.

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

Awesome vid
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Wow, that video is really, really cool to watch. Thanks for posting. If that was me with the camera, not sure I would have stood my ground.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Nice find Sam.

Comment

Amazing....the camera guy was in the right sport there.

Comment

wow awsome video, I love how everyone busts out there cameras lol

Comment

Another one which is always a pleasure to see again, thanks Sam for importing it here
              Thanks for visiting
              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
              *JetPhotos*
              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

An Alada Empresa De Transportes Aereos Ilyushin IL-18D, registration D2-FFR performing a freight flight for DHL, rejected takeoff from Cabinda (Angola) at high speed due to burst tyres and overran the runway end ending up in soft ground.
                Me thinks the burst tyre was a result, not the cause of the aborted take off. Both main gears start smoking as the full braking power is applied. No reverse on the IL-18 props.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                  Me thinks the burst tyre was a result, not the cause of the aborted take off. Both main gears start smoking as the full braking power is applied. No reverse on the IL-18 props.
                  I must agree. The tire burst was a result, not the cause of the reject.
                  Don
                  Standard practice for managers around the world:
                  Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Well I'm glad we all got to the bottom of this accident so quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                      No reverse on the IL-18 props.
                      Incorrect, has full reverse pitch on all four engines. I remember back in the g'ol days our IL-18 regurarly used power back to reverse from the stand at HEL, all the onlookers watched in amazement...

However it seems reverse was not used here, as the props appear to be in idle as the a/c passes the camera position.

Note: the apparent no-motion of the props during reject is caused by the camera frame rate (20-25/sec depending on system) being in synch with 1/4 rotation of the props.
                      another ADC refugee

Comment

Can someone explain to me what an alleged Il-18D is doing with a Il-20/22-style ECM fairing on the tailfin?

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                          Can someone explain to me what an alleged Il-18D is doing with a Il-20/22-style ECM fairing on the tailfin?
                          The Il-20/22 are military designations of the Il-18 airframe, the only difference being the installed electronics and a few antenna fairings. Many have been converted from civilian Il-18s, this one seems to be a case of one converted back to civilian use. (Note, the Il-38 is a derivative with a stretched fuselage that was/is only for military use, no civilian versions were ever produced)
                          another ADC refugee

Comment

Working...
                          X