Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DSLR

I know that this has been asked before but,
    I have been using a Kodak Easyshare (for fun) but now I want a DSLR.
    I've got these choices:

Sony A200 w/ 18-70;70-300mm Approx $1200NZD
    Nikon D60 w/ 18-55;55-200mm Approx $1400-1500NZD
    Canon 1000d (Rebel XS) w/18-55;70-300mm Approx $1300NZD

Now I was teetering towards the Canon but I then heard conflicting reports about it. Now I'm looking at the Nikon (which is more expensive though). I was also wondering what the Sony's like cause I don't see many people here whom shoot with a Sony.
    Anyway, any help with my little issue would be appreciated.

One note: My budget is max $1500NZD (around $900USD) and I wouldn't actually be getting the camera until January next year.
    Note: I did not copy PMN, I am in fact obsessed with both (ask anyone who knows me and they would confirm that I talk constantly about these things

How about the Canon Rebel 450D XSi? 12.1 megapixels; DIGIC III image processor, same as Canon's big boys. It comes with an 18-55mm AF IS lens. It's what I've been using, and I have no complaints, haven't heard or read many complaints either. Retails around $699 to $799 (Amazon has it listed at $654.99.) I also grabbed the 55-250mm AF IS lens. That retails around $250-$275. Not bad coverage for under $1000. May even be cheaper by January.

Comment

true.
      At the moment in NZ it's about $500 more though but I will look in January. Hopefully lots of prices have come down by then.
      Note: I did not copy PMN, I am in fact obsessed with both (ask anyone who knows me and they would confirm that I talk constantly about these things

Comment

Hey Tui,

Definitely don't rule out Canon. I myself have used Canon DSLRs for the last 3/4 years and don't regret the move at all. Every DSLR and lens I've used from the 300D to 350D, 400D and now 30D have all performed perfectly and produced great quality images.
        I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but Photo and Video in Christchurch have competitive prices and offer great service. Even if you are not in Christchurch you can buy online and they do have an online returns policy so if you buy something without seeing it and are not happy you can return it for a full refund.
        A quick look on their site http://www.photo.co.nz shows a package with Canon EOS 450D EFS18-55mm IS +EF75-300mm for $1569. By January I'd say the price will come down. While I have not used this camera, if it is anything like the 350D/400D it should be excellent. While the lenses are not top of the line, with good practice and good post-processing skills you will be able to get some great photos.
        I'm not sure where you have been reading reviews but
        http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ is a good place to start.

Hope this helps,
        Tim
        Last edited by Tim; 2008-10-20, 06:05.

Comment

Take all candidates in your hand, play with them and buy what feels best to you. All 3 are capable enough.

Comment

Cheers.
            With that In mind I am steering more towards the canon (does anybody here own or have used a 100d/Rebel XS?) as it has bigger zoom than the Nikon. (although I would quite like a Nikon...)

Anyway what about the Sony? I was a bit put off by the fact that they aren't as well known as Nikon or Canon...

Comment

Kelburn/ZK-TUI

How do you mean it has a bigger zoom? Do you mean it has a larger crop factor than the Nikon...

Sony Glass is usually quite expensive, I guess thats why they arent that popular. Another factor which is the case with all cameras bar Nikon and Camera (Sony, Pentax etc) is the limited range and availability of lenses and accessories.

Comment

haha.
                Are you finding it funny that I'm posting it here to?

I meant it has a larger focal length in the lens kit.
                Anyway Canon is also good as their renown for their lenses.

Comment

I wouldnt say renown for lenses, they just have a fairly good reputation for quality glass in the L series lenses. The other ones TBH arent anything out of the ordinary.

Again, my personal options would be-

Sony A200 18-70mm 75-300mm
                  Canon 450D (or 1000d if you must) 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS
                  Nikon D60 18-55mm VR, 70-300mm VR or 55-200mm VR.

Comment

Whats the difference between the 400d and 1000d?

Comment

Take a look at this Tui, it might help you alot.

doesnt seem to be a heap different, but most importantly it only does 1.5 FPS in RAW mode.

Comment

From my personal experience in the matter I would go with either the Canon or Nikon. If you go with the Sony you will have a harder time finding lenses and accessories where as Nikon and Canon accessories are readily available in most every camera store worldwide. As far as the D60 v. Rebel XS it is all a matter of personal opinion. Go to a store where they sell both and mess around with the settings, menus, and how it feels overall. The one bonus you have if you go with the Canon v. the Nikon is the "L" line of lenses. Once you purchase some L glass you will never go back. Though no matter how good the camera and lens is, it all comes down to how good of a photographer you are.

Best of luck with your decision. You will be pleased with your new DSLR no matter what road you take.

-Chris

Comment

Too bad I can't give a broader opinion, but from a newbie standpoint I can tell you why I went with Canon 450D as my first DSLR instead of Sony or Nikon. More bang for the buck. In reviews that I read, some were recommending 400D users that this maybe a worthwhile upgrade. Sony had in body Image Stabilization, which seemed like a plus, but the more I read the more people preferred in lens IS. Of course, with everything, you have some who swear by the in body IS. Yet with in body IS, Sony's glass was still expensive.

I took a quick look at the Nikon buget DSLR's, but I just couldn't get passed all the glowing reviews the 400D had, and the glowing previews for the 450D. So for just over $1000 I manged to get a 450D w/ the 18-55 IS lens kit, the Canon 55-250mm IS lens, and the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. All of which you can now get for under $1000. Now, I have my eye on either the Sigma 150-500mm, or the Tamron 200-500mm.

To be honest, from what I've read, you can't go wrong with Canon, no matter what you get.

Here's a sample of the 450D w/ the 18-55mm lens kit. Took this at SXM on Oct. 10th before Hurricane Oscar did some remodeling.

Comment

Originally posted by ZK-TUI View Post
                            Cheers.
                            With that In mind I am steering more towards the canon (does anybody here own or have used a 100d/Rebel XS?) as it has bigger zoom than the Nikon. (although I would quite like a Nikon...)

Anyway what about the Sony? I was a bit put off by the fact that they aren't as well known as Nikon or Canon...
                            Originally posted by ZK-TUI View Post
                            Whats the difference between the 400d and 1000d?
                            ok I can answer both of these questions. I currently own the 400D, I have use both the XSi and the XS and realy do like the XSi a lot. The XS is almost the exact same as the 400D. Not a whole lot of difference. Looks almost exactly the same, handles the same, and shots almost the exact same. Now the 450D is a different story. 2 Megapixels more than the 400D, Much better sencer... Just over all a much better camera. It will do do everything you could imagine and then some. It is rated one of the best Beginner DSLRs to start with. It is easy to use. Has much better setting than the 350D or 400D. If it is going to cost you a little bit more than you want to spend then it is worth the investment. That and the camera will really start to grow on you.
                            Hope this helps!

Comment

ahh right. So there isn't really any difference between the 1000d and the 400d? Would the 1000d be less popular (with images uploaded) because it's newer? Anyway I have ruled out Sony (a guy I know said not really worth it).
                              I would go for the 450d but it is more expensive and I have big financial commitments in the near future (well for me anyway).
                              Thanks for all your input.
                              It always seems to me that when I think I know what I want something else tips me off balance!!
                              Cheers,
                              Kelburn

Comment

Working...
                              X