Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of very bumpy landing at EGLC some while ago

check out this video at youtube:

Swiss Air jet has very bumpy landing at London City Airport (on the afternoon of 17th January, 2008)

it's showing a swiss "jumbolino" (BA 146-100) on a crosswing approach to london city (LCY / EGLC) airport with an unusually fast descent rate / hard landing. apparently, the landing gear was damaged afterwards and had to be fixed before the aircraft could be put back into service...

anybody has some more info on this? would you already call this an incident / accident? the aircraft almost rolls over to the right after three quite severe jumps back in the air...

Wild landing.

Comment

I'd say that's a mess your pants arrival.

Comment

^Yeah, that video has been floating around aviation forums for a good bit now. It's actually a Swiss Avroliner RJ 100. Apparently the pilots didn't monitor the rate of descent and airspeed correctly while in the last stages of the approach. There was a crosswind as well from 190 degrees at 10kt. The jet tail striked, some of the damage photos showed a big gash in the rear fuselage.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "look out for falling objects" for sure.

Here's the Flight Global article after the incident: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ndon-city.html

The Aviation Safety Database entry for this incident:
        An Avro RJ100 passenger plane, registered HB-IYU, sustained substantial damage in a landing accident at London City Airport (LCY), United Kingdom. All 88 passengers and five crew members survived. The airplane operated on a flight from Zürich-Kloten Airport (ZRH) to London City Airport (LCY).

Comment

Foxtrot, are you sure we are talking about the same incident / aircraft here?

in the video on youtube i was referring to, the swiss avro rj 100 has a clear white cross on a red background on it's tail (standard swiss livery), whereas the images at the flight global website you pasted a link to show a swiss avro rj 100 in star alliance livery...

i checked the internet a bit more and it seems there have been two incidents with avro rj 100's of swiss at london city lately... same problem (sudden change from head- to tailwind during final approach) in both cases...?

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
            The Aviation Safety Database entry for this incident:
            http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=20070818-1
            ... and the recorded groundspeed reduced, without a corresponding decrease in the airspeed, indicating a loss of headwind or an increased tailwind component. The aircraft was already in a low energy state; then thrust was reduced and this reduction, and the loss of headwind component, both made the situation worse.
            groundspeed <> airspeed?

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by LSGG View Post
              Foxtrot, are you sure we are talking about the same incident / aircraft here?

in the video on youtube i was referring to, the swiss avro rj 100 has a clear white cross on a red background on it's tail (standard swiss livery), whereas the images at the flight global website you pasted a link to show a swiss avro rj 100 in star alliance livery...

i checked the internet a bit more and it seems there have been two incidents with avro rj 100's of swiss at london city lately... same problem (sudden change from head- to tailwind during final approach) in both cases...?
              Both, Flight Global and Aviation Safety have the incident dated as Aug 18, '07, so it should be the same one. Unless there were two identical hard landings of that nature... which would be extremely rare. Now if FlightGlobal messed up and posted the wrong photo or something. But you're right, the one in the video very clearly has the Swiss livery on the tail. Whoever posted that video also has it dated as January 17th, '08. Strange... I'm getting a bit confused myself to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
                Both, Flight Global and Aviation Safety have the incident dated as Aug 18, '07, so it should be the same one. Unless there were two identical hard landings of that nature... which would be extremely rare. Now if FlightGlobal messed up and posted the wrong photo or something. But you're right, the one in the video very clearly has the Swiss livery on the tail. Whoever posted that video also has it dated as January 17th, '08. Strange... I'm getting a bit confused myself to be honest.

i found an online-article from a local swiss newspaper (http://www.20min.ch/news/kreuz_und_quer/story/23453621) referring to a report by the well-known swiss newspaper "tages-anzeiger", stating that the landing we are discussing about indeed happened on january 17, 2008. together with the one mentioned on FlightGlobal from august 18, 2007, this would make two hard landings for a swiss avro rj 100 in london within half a year... apparently, the landing showed in the video did not cause any damage to the plane...

Comment

Working...
                X