Flight skids off airport runway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight skids off airport runway

Passengers on a Thomas Cook chartered flight from Glasgow, Scotland have escaped injury after their plane skidded off the runway at Lanzarote airport.
    The Air Europa Boeing-737 plane had 74 people on board when it left Glasgow Airport at about 0300 GMT on Friday.
    Flight AEA-196 came off the runway after touching down in Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands, at about 0710 GMT. The plane came to a halt close to a beach. Passengers were unhurt but shaken by the incident.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A lucky break for the passengers and crew aboard this Air Europa B737-85P.

If I saw the registration correctly, this is the plane.

Comment

Same aircraft...

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the links to video and stills.That last still shot shows how close it came to crashing into the jet-blast protection structure and disaster.

Comment

pucker factor very high!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scottkin View Post
              pucker factor very high!!!!!
              Is this something to do we nearly kissing the fence!Anyway just a thought I wonder if a contributing factor was the distribution of the passengers as it was less than half full(I know the cabin crew have guide lines on this)but anything is possible...just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
                Is this something to do we nearly kissing the fence!
                Uhhh, not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
                  Is this something to do we nearly kissing the fence!Anyway just a thought I wonder if a contributing factor was the distribution of the passengers as it was less than half full(I know the cabin crew have guide lines on this)but anything is possible...just a thought.
                  Nope...that's actually the reason they didn't go THROUGH the fence. A lighter airplane takes much less room to stop. Its borderline scary how quickly you can get a lightly loaded plane stopped. Makes you wonder if you're gonna tear the gear off.

Also scary with a heavily loaded plane, especially with a slick runway. I learned the value of anti skid up in ROC the other night during a rain storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
                    Same aircraft...
                    Didn't see your link Alpha Sierra..

Comment

No problem ultraflight...

Comment

So, umm - am I right in assuming that there is no real damage to the aircraft? I was thinking that it was going to be a written-off mainframe. Just goes to show how the news is sensationalized. The comment about the plane resting near a beach got to me. Now thinking of it - isn't the WHOLE airport near a beach? Hats off to the crew for their maneuvers!
                        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Thats one close stop.great pics.
                          regds
                          MEL
                          Think of the brighter side !

Comment

The aircraft did not sustain any major damage.
                            Don
                            Standard practice for managers around the world:
                            Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Working...
                            X