Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screening is perfect

Gerardo is a saint

Tomas / Daryl... well we are just two stupid uploaders.
    Last edited by hkgspotter1; 2008-11-07, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by hkgspotter1 View Post
      Gerardo, you are STAFF of the site, you are the face of the site, your attitude is shocking when it comes to PR, how dare you insult people that MADE this site what it is, that's US the photographers.

If its the policy of Jetphotos that we UPLOAD then SHUT UP then please clarify!!!
      And that attitude helps how? You're being more abusive than the original message you're criticising.

Paul
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Oh my goodness......

Not again!!
        This thread was started by a photografer who had a question about a rejection he didn't understand.
        Some explanation was given by a a screener with some additional comments from others.

Why o why is it necessary for some people, to complain about the screening in this topic.
        This topic has nothing to do with that.

As a former moderator of a Dutch car-fanclub, I know pretty good how frustrating it can be if people try to brake your hard work down.
        Screeners; let me tell you this: more than 99% of all the people here appreciate your very hard work; but as always in the world, you'll only hear the complainings............

It's sad but true

Please, Keep up your hard and very good work for this great website.

Thums up!!!!!!

Best regards

Freek

Comment

Originally posted by shakermaker View Post
          *Sorry Vishal, not trying to put down your work, just supporting my case. It's a great photo and can be easily fixed anyway.
          Thats alright Kamlesh np
          Wonder why i didnt spot that when i uploaded it, also learnt about AF point selection there. I'll fix it

This kinda fighting reminds me of A.net

While Tomas went slightly over with his way of voicing his opinion, the point remains - he along with many of us are die-hard JP folks and thats one of the reasons why when he/we see certain stuff which we're kinda in doubt about then that matter is taken-up for discussion - Only for the betterment of the site.

Strong allegance to something (JP in this case) can be upsetting at times as we're finding out here, at times i have seen stuff when i've gone WTF
          Obviously that is in a very small negligible minority , and i make it known to the screeners. In this case Tomas vented his frustration openly. Which atlhough isnt necessarily the right thing to do on all occasions but was something that was waiting to happen, now again after this debate things will settle down but without a doubt in the course of time such debates will keep arising.
          I'm no one to decide what & who is right or wrong.

The gist of the matter is, people are VERY passionate about their photos AND this website. I spend a vast majority of my internet time here, scrolling through the Top of 24 list & so on.............

I for one atleast take pride in my investment of photos here & all of my best stuff goes to JP first & then elsewhere.
          As a matter of fact, this big one-of-a-kind airshow we had recently in HYD, i've uploaded like half a dozen of my best here & not made any significant effort to get those onto A.net where i upload also (2 diff ones got rej & let it stay that way, i have the best ones here)

Lets firstly not get personal, it can be difficult at times to react to certain things without either getting upset or sounding like it.

I had a rejection yesterday, NOW :-
          I appealed > wrote about 1 or 2 lines in the comment to headscreener/admin about my reason for it to be acptd.

The photo was rejected again, which is fine but what i am scratching my head about is this :-
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Your appeal for photo id XXXXXX has been processed and has been rejected.
          Admin Comments >>
          >> http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=xxxxxx
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Now i didnt exactly feel too great when that happened, you'd atleast expect a word or two so that one can know exactly what it is that's causing the rejection or a suggestion to make it better.

Not that the rejection reasons arent plain enough to understand but at times there can be grey areas & the fact that i appealed meant that i have a difference of opinion & it would be great if a senior crew member would be courteous enough to help me with it.

Look at this thread - http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=44333
          Obviously there's no way anyone would expect such from A.net, neither is it possible to do on every rejection. Anyways................

I thought i'd chip-in with a word or two & damn !!! i wrote all that ????

Comment

Originally posted by Vishal Jolapara View Post
            I spend a vast majority of my internet time here, scrolling through the Top of 24 list
            That's only because you're usually at the top of it, Vishal!

Paul
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hello all
              Normally I don't reply any discussion, but I will make an exeption today.

I will reply in two ways:

As a Spotter I consider this rejection have been quite unfair, unless JP has a new rule in where ''photos can be rejected by wrong date'' and I haven't noticed. I have seen photos accepted without the date and nothing have happened. And I must add that I usually have to correct my own dates while they are in the cue or already accepted.
              Also I like to comment that JP has probably the best screeners on the web. I believe they have always maintain a normal-rising level, but not hard or imposible to reach by anyone. Everytime they look at a photo is not to reject, so to accept it.
              Obviously, sometimes they make mistakes in some rejections but then the administrators gave us the chance to reply to this and there's allways a person in the other side willing to read what you have to explain to do the right thing. I must say that most of my apelaled photos have been accepted.

Now talking as a screener, forum moderator, data base corrector and editor of another international web page I must say that I agree with many things that JP screeners have said in this post. Being many hours working and after that get home, sit down for a little while to screen some photos, and hours later see how people criticize you... is very unfair.
              But also I quite desagree about the way they have reply to this post. As an advice, do not try to explain things in public in the same way you are force to do.

Then, to finish I believe It would be nice to have another rule (I know there are too many) about dates in photos. And personaly I don't consider it as a rejection motive, but I don't put the rules here, so...

Let's try all together to maintain the title of this web page
              THE FRIENDLY WAY TO FLY
              La Roche Spotters

Comment

[quote=hkgspotter1;493516]Guys its not right to go attacking Tomas, just because he has posted a problem. [quote]I didn't attak him, because he posted a problem, but because of how he posted the problems. And believe me, it's not the first time, but I don't want to prove my point made above regarding the "questionable history", if you don't ask me.
                EVERY time someone makes a complaint certain screeners like LX-A343 go for the kill.
                Thanks for calling me out. OTOH I didn't expect more from you. Now, to your accusation: If you really follow the forum discussions, you will notice, that it depends on the tone. Start bashing and you'll get bashed. Ask friendly and you will be heared. It's the tone which makes the music.

Well I know I'm now going to be on the black list with Tomas but I say what I believe. I think I have been on this site long enough to know the standards... and longer than most of the screeners.
                As you perhaps remember from the short time when you were part of this crew, we don't have a black list for crew bashers in the forums. But, you and I know, humans have a good memory.

Nevertheless, when we screen the next photo of yours or Tomas, be assured, that it will be again matched with the sites standards, which are overall largely accepted, it will be screened simply based on the photos own merits, and that is one hell of a professionalism.

If you think, the standards should be higher, then start a new post, bring your facts without jumping at any screener or photographer and we will have a healthy discussion.
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by laroche spotters View Post
                  Hello all

As a Spotter I consider this rejection have been quite unfair, unless JP has a new rule in where ''photos can be rejected by wrong date'' and I haven't noticed. I have seen photos accepted without the date and nothing have happened.
                  Mate as far as this rejection is concerned it’s not a new rule; it falls within the "Bad info" rule. In this case the shot was taken on another date, so the date the photog entered was wrong. It was a fair "bad info" rejection and could have been easily fixed by the photog.

Now as for other photos that are accepted without dates there could be various reasons for that. One of the most common reasons is the photo may be rather old and an exact date, month and sometimes year are impossible to ascertain. However because of the age and the kind of history the shot captures it’s accepted. If we were to follow Tomas's idea no shot without a date would be accepted and we'd lose the ability to share that history with the users.

Now let me address "consistency." The reason why we have such a diverse crew is because everyone does look at something differently but they have the knowledge to judge what meets and what does not meet the sites standards. We have upload guidelines that are to give uses an idea of what we look for in their shots. No where does it state these are "Upload rules," and we will have times we go outside those lines to accept a photo. If we were to hold each of those rules to the letter this database would be rather boring.

In the first post of this thread the user thought the rejection was unfair, which is his right to feel that way, no one ever likes a shot rejected. However it was screened by two screeners and me on appeal. If someone doesn't think the collective opinion of three people isn't fair then that's their choice. However to sit here and bash an entire team like Tomas has done, which btw isn't his first time is simply immature and pointless. I tell people all the time that at the end of a day it's simply a picture of a plane and whether or not it makes it up on this site or any other site its not going to change their life. I think in today's day and age most of us have greater things to worry about then a picture of a plane. Go out enjoy the hobby, make new friends, upload your shots and if they make it they make it, if they don't they don't....but don't let it consume your life like some do.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                    There is a simple answer to the question. The same pic was up-loaded with a different date before and rejected for other reasons. As it contains no EXIF with which we could check the original date (I checked this in screening) we must assume that the date is wrong. Especially as the original reject was up-loaded as a "hot photo" so obviously the date was important in screening.

Ok Seahawk I feel a little bite better right now

The problem is..... the picture was taked in October 29, the real date is in the second upload, so you reject to me the picture because I show the real date.....

What can I think? I have to re-upload with a wrong date, or what I have to do? Is the only think that I want to know, specially because in the appeal where I explain that is a real date the picture is rejected again, with out any comment????

Comment

Originally posted by Diego727 View Post
                      Ok Seahawk I feel a little bite better right now

The problem is..... the picture was taked in October 29, the real date is in the second upload, so you reject to me the picture because I show the real date.....

What can I think? I have to re-upload with a wrong date, or what I have to do? Is the only think that I want to know, specially because in the appeal where I explain that is a real date the picture is rejected again, with out any comment????
                      The easiest way to solve it would be to up-load with EXIF data attached, especially on the second up-load and leaving a message to us, that you made a honest mistake with the first up-load.

Unfortunately your message in the appeal was of little value for us, as you simply stated that the date is correct and did not mention the wrong date on the previous up-load. So as the first up-load was up-loaded as hot, which makes the date important, we had no choice but to assume that this date, the 28th, was the correct one.

Too bad, that others used your honest question and honest frustration, which I hope to have eased a bit now, to start a general attack on the screening team, not even waiting for one of us to answer your fully understandable question.
                      Last edited by seahawk; 2008-11-05, 17:05.

Comment

Lets’ face it, screening can not be an exact science because it is largely a subjective process. You can not measure sharpness, contrast, exposure and so on using a “ruler” and therefore you can not make a definitive standard. One person might be able to notice a dust spot when another may not. Exactly how many pixels do you allow around the main subject before it is “too far”? How far out can “centering” be before it becomes unacceptable and by how much does the motive of the shot affect such decisions?

If you can come up with an algorithm that can reliably measure these and all of the relevant factors in the screening process we will happily let the web server do the screening but until then there will be some apparent inconsistency here and at any site that screens its material as it is unavoidable.

We are happy to take on constructive criticism but this means that those who are making it should use a reasoned argument backed up with examples. When we make mistakes we endeavour to rectify the situation and we try to explain policy so that you can reduce rejections. Screeners do talk and discuss these matters behind the scenes and actually take them very seriously. So feel free to make your comments but please do it in a mature fashion and you will be accorded an appropriate level of respect by the team.

Comment

First of all I would like to give the crew a compliment for their hard work the last day´s.
                          Consistency is for me a important thing, and I get pissed of about it many times. But I keep in mind that screeners have a reason the be in the JP crew. They know what it right and what´s not. But there are screeners with less than 500 photo's in the DB(nothing bad against them) . I'm curious what they have that others don't have?
                          About the rejection, in my opinion the screening begins with the photographer to do what they have to do. Screeners check if they did that well or not.

Arjen

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                            The easiest way to solve it would be to up-load with EXIF data attached, especially on the second up-load and leaving a message to us, that you made a honest mistake with the first up-load.
                            Thanks friend, Best regards from Costa Rica.

Comment

My observations on this.
                              Diego date is important for many people for a variety of reasons and thus was correct rejection.
                              Tomas Tomas...I think you are no stranger to posting in the forums(contary to what you opened with)and are famous as the most whiney poster on JP.That is not to take away from your firey attitude....but please do not hijack some other post just to air your never ending grivences.
                              Daryl I have great admiration for your contribution to aviation photography as a whole.
                              I am surprised and perplexed by your attitude and motivation in this instance.
                              I will not expand on what is going or not going on with the screening process except suffice to say I have no problems(not no rejections!!!)and see no major issues that have developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego727 View Post
                                Thanks friend, Best regards from Costa Rica.
                                No problem, I am glad to help. Please understand that only in such cases the date is important, as it would have had an influence in the position of the pic in a theoretical news ticker. And we also had complaints in the past, when a photo with a wrong date slipped into position 1.
                                Last edited by seahawk; 2008-11-05, 18:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X