Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking to the sky at the very last moment!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking to the sky at the very last moment!

Ok, so over the past few days, I have been trawling youtube for aircraft videos. I love dearly our own site for videos, but I though that youtube would be fun for more 'alternate' videos.

Anyway, I happened upon this video and had to wonder why or what the pilot was waiting for to take off:

Was the aircraft overweight? Was it safe to take off like that?

Now, maybe it's just me, and with newbie shock - but is this extra-ordinary? Or, are there other videos out there that make this look like a walk in the park? If you find any, please post them. And to think, this wasn't even an IL-86!
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

If I recall correctly the Pitot tubes were covered or clogged which confused the flight control computer and or the fuel control.

I think it’s pretty well documented and there is a report on it somewhere.

I think it took out a marker light at the end of the runway

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash View Post
      If I recall correctly the Pitot tubes were covered or clogged which confused the flight control computer and or the fuel control.

I think it’s pretty well documented and there is a report on it somewhere.

I think it took out a marker light at the end of the runway
      Clogged pitot tubes or static ports would cause erroneous information to be fed into the air data computer, which would obviously cause malfunctions in any instruments or systems that rely on information from the air data computer.

Comment

Not the only one out there - there's a clip of an Il-76 taking off on a stinking hot day from Canberra airport that uses all the runway too.

Comment

I recall reading a report soon after this incident but cannot find it now (probably it was on the AD thread), the official investigation report is not out yet. They were doing a reduced thrust takeoff on account of the empty plane, but for some reason the aircraft did not accelerate as they expected (I'm not sure if it was some sensor/reading error, or a malfunctioning auto-throttle). The crew practically froze in the situation, the only thing they did was to rotate when the runway disappeared from under them, just barely making it. After a couple of seconds one of the guys finally came up with the bright idea of firewalling the throttles - you can see the aircraft beginning to climb in the last second of the slow-motion video. The situation was very reminescent of the Air Florida DCA accident.
          another ADC refugee

Comment

Here is the post about the incident

Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
            http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by andrasz View Post
              The situation was very reminescent of the Air Florida DCA accident.
              Actually, the Air Florida crash was caused by icing on the wings which led to a stall right after takeoff.

Comment

Working...
              X