X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA warns 737 pilots to heed the cabin pressure alarm

By TIM KLASS
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    The Federal Aviation Administration has toughened a requirement that Boeing 737 pilots be reminded not to ignore a cabin pressure warning horn, ordering preflight briefings as well as changes in manuals.
    The airworthiness directive, issued Monday and effective Nov. 25, stems from a crash in which 121 people died Aug. 14, 2005, when a Helios Airways 737-300 slammed into a hillside north of Athens, Greece.
    The FAA's order applies to all Boeing 737s, the world's best-selling commercial jet with more than 6,000 orders since the model was introduced in 1965 and 5,397 in use worldwide, and takes effect in 120 days. Public notice and comment requirements were waived "because an unsafe condition exists that requires the immediate adoption" of the directive, according to the notice.
    After the FAA's initial directive, which largely incorporated Boeing's advisory note, the manufacturer began working on a change in the cockpit and flight-deck design to incorporate a warning light that will provide a second indication of cabin pressure loss when the horn sounds.
    Within the next month or so, Boeing expects to have the change ready to incorporate into production of current models, the 737-700, -800 and -900, followed by production of retrofitting kits for earlier models a few months after that.
    The FAA may propose further action to "address the unsafe condition" once the warning light kits are available, according to the airworthiness directive.

The complete article can be found here, while the relevant AD can be found here.

It will be interesting to see how quickly airlines implement the required changes, given the large number of aircraft involved - the entire fleet of Boeing 737s currently in use worldwide.

It took the FAA three years to publish the ruling. It has taken Boeing longer than that to engineer "THE" modification.
    I would expect an 18 to 24 month ("C" check cycle) compliance time frame.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Did I miss something? Shouldn't all cockpit all cockpit alarms be heeded? Why is an airworthiness directive needed for pilots to pay attention to an alarm?
      Signatures are overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Airfoilsguy View Post
        Did I miss something? Shouldn't all cockpit all cockpit alarms be heeded? Why is an airworthiness directive needed for pilots to pay attention to an alarm?
        EXACTLY! I was like, umm - you have to tell pilots to heed a warning? As for the pilots here, how easy is it to ignore it? Does it go off often? Is it noticeable at all?
        Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

I believe the AD is to have the visual alarm installed and manuals updated.

Comment

I find it inconceivable that the pilots would not heed the warning horn. The real reason has to be attributed to the fact that the warning horn serves the dual purpose of the takeoff configuration/cabin altitude warning.

According to the official report into the Helios Airways crash outside Athens in 2005, the pilots misinterpreted the warning horn as sounding for a misconfigured takeoff configuration, when in fact the actual reason was a misconfigured cabin pressurization system. In a string of similar incidents involving the B737, other pilots have had similar experiences when reaching an altitude of 10,000ft. Almost invariably, their first reaction was to check the takeoff configuration system, under the assumption that the cabin altitude system was properly configured, and, upon identifying no problems there, then proceeded to silence the warning horn. In contrast to the fateful pilots of the Helios Airways aircraft, they subsequently were able to identify the real root of the problem (e.g. engine bleeds off, packs off, etc.) and were thus able to prevent a similar incident from occurring.

The AD is certainly a step in the right direction, although one has to question the sensibility of the dual purpose of the warning horn and, significantly, to wonder how, since the introduction of the B737 in 1967, this had not led to an earlier incident, prior to the Helios Airways crash. In this respect, I believe that CRM issues have a crucial role to play.

Comment

It is beyond belief that a cockpit alarm be ignored however it was ignored, the crew passed out due to hypoxia, the armored cockpit door prevented the cabin crew from entering the cockpit, the aircraft crashed.

The AD is a band-aid until a second warning system is installed by a yet to be released SB.

All Boeing aircraft use the same warning horn for the takeoff warning AND cabin altitude warning.

The system had worked for >60 years without undue confusion by pilots or mechanics being confused. It only takes one fatal accident to cause the FAA to SPRING into action.
              Don
              Standard practice for managers around the world:
              Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post
                the armored cockpit door prevented the cabin crew from entering the cockpit
                ?? I could be totally wrong but I'm pretty sure I have seen WN flight attendants enter the cockpit by typing a code on a numerical pad by the door. I guess Helios' aircraft didn't have this, or their crews were not given entrance privileges.

I've taken 4 flights over the past week on 737-300s and I heard a warning horn from the cockpit during preflight, that I had never noticed before in my 300+ other flights. I guess the new AD is being implemented.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Would it not be a lot easier to just rewrite the checklist procedure to say:-
                  If the configuration warning horn sounds, first check the take off config then check if the cabin pressurisation switch is set to auto.
                  A lot cheaper too. But then again it would be too simple.
                  You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

Working...
                  X