New LAX expansion plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LAX expansion plan

It sure sounds like a plan but only if it gets started. I guess this also means the current American Eagle satellite gets torn down, I wonder how they'll accomodate Eagle's ops.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/lo...tory?track=rss

More renderings and photos here:

Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post28242992

As far as falling pax traffic goes, I think it's only a matter of time before it comes back again, and even then, the Bradley Terminal improvements and that first midfield concourse are badly needed anyway, with all the congestion that occurs inside the TBIT during the international rush hours. The part I like best in the plan is that pedestrian sky bridge that links the TBIT and midfield concourses, and if I saw the renderings and model photos correctly, it appears to be high enough to allow 380s to taxi under it.

I'm impressed, especially for the sky bridge (that's going to be a great spotting place), I suppose they got that idea from Gatwick. The new terminals themselves look very nice, kind of have that Southern California style to it. What looks like a rail system will be great at LAX, there's just too much traffic during peak hours, it sometimes takes me 20-30 minutes to get out of the airport. I thought at first they we're just going to put gates on the west side of TBIT, didn't expect them to plan to make a whole new terminal on the other side, but then again with just the original TBIT with gates on the west side, there will still be not enough intl gates for the amount of intl traffic. It looks like from the pics that it'll give LAX about 28 intl gates and plenty of A380 capable gates, that's pretty good. For the AA Eagle Ops, I would propose maybe they'll make a new place out at the west remote gates, wouldn't think they'll ask UA to co-share their regional gates with them.

What the plan doesn't talk about though is what they're going to do about the northern terminals and the making of a taxi way in between runways 24R-6L and 24L-6R. I read before that the northern terminals might be destroyed possibly or remodel and that they really wanted to move 24R-6L to the left more and place a taxi way like they did for 25R-7L and 25L-7R.

I'm flying into LAX next week, wonder if they have already started. WOOT WOOT to LAX finally getting a much needed facelift.
    what ever happens......happens

Comment

Eric wrote it all, I will just add that the sky bridge will be a great spotting place provided they let it go this way. Not to be granted given the enforced paranoia. I am rather pessimistic and see the place in use for processing transit passengers with the access limited to "live" boarding pass holders.
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

The real deal on LAX

Jorge C from our group did a blog piece on this with some great pictures. See this here: http://taxiwayalpha.blogspot.com/200...eimagined.html

What I see in this is one of two things:
        1) An awesome spotting/photo location on the bridge, which is high enough for the A380 to go under, and two side-by-side

OR

2) A great place to get arrested at for spotting/taking pictures

Take your pic. Anyway, this is conceptual right now, with the project getting the initial green light. We will see what develops, and as always here in the land of fruits and nuts, things are NEVER as they first appear!!!

Tim

Comment

Wow,

The photos of the project look really good. The new terminals would be a welcome change from drab and dreary architecture, the airport currently has. Of, course some the rude airport staff could use a major overhaul as well.Those high parabolic ceilings are becoming very popular and the terminal photos remind of Heathrow's Terminal 5 and a little bit of the new Hyderabad Airport.

Rohan

Comment

Working...
          X