X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAL to Pilots, "Get back to Work!"

UAL Pilots Told To Return To Normal

Nov 24, 2008
    United’s Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) unit told its members last week to resume normal working practices after a district court issued a preliminary injunction against the union.
    United filed a petition with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, to enjoin ALPA and four individual members from engaging in, or encouraging other pilots to engage in, sick outs, work slowdowns, and from concerted efforts to keep pilots from accepting overtime flight assignments. These job actions cost United millions in lost revenues over the summer, and accounted for the cancellation of at least 329 flights in July, the carrier had argued.

The court agreed to grant the preliminary injunction, saying United is likely to succeed on the merits of its claims that the pilots were violating the Railway Labor Act.

In a message to its members, United’s ALPA instructed all pilots to “cease and desist from engaging in any slowdown, sick-out, work to rule campaign, refusal to accept voluntary or overtime flying, or other concerted refusal to conduct pilot operations in the normal manner.”

United’s pilots have been extremely vocal against senior management, especially Chairman Glenn Tilton. The pilots have been working under the same contract and work rules for more than five years. The union told its members that “this is about all of us, because each of us will be at risk of court fines or company discipline of we engage in any court-prohibited activity or if we encourage others to do so.”

In August, ALPA denied the allegations that its members were engaging in illegal activity, saying, “If canceled flights and impacted customers and employees are gauges of warranted suits, then United should have sued itself long ago,” (DAILY, Aug. 4).

United said the illegal activity by ALPA members caused the cancellation of hundreds of flights, and cost the airline millions in lost revenues. Pete McDonald, executive VP and chief administrative officer, said United pursued all possible resolutions before pursuing litigation, including increasing reserve pilot staffing and negotiating with the union to modify certain work rules.

Oh what a wonderful relationship that UAL Management has with UAL Pilots. In the end, who does more work, the pilots who fly the planes or management who sit behind a desk? This bitter argument between the two parties is what causing the most trouble for UA.
    what ever happens......happens

"Oh what a wonderful relationship that UAL Management has with UAL Pilots. In the end, who does more work, the pilots who fly the planes or management who sit behind a desk? This bitter argument between the two parties is what causing the most trouble for UA. "

And are you a pilot or a Manager at United?

Comment

First of all, I'm neither. Second, I'm just saying that UAL pilots and management aren't on the same level as compared to other airlines. I've read news articles and heard from people that UAL pilots aren't happy with management. I mean nothing bad against them but the facts are there, both sides need to settle their differences and talk more.
      what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
        UAL pilots aren't happy with management.
        There aren't too many pilots anywhere that like Management. Pilots, like Doctors, think that they are in charge and run the show. It doesn't work that way so there is conflict.

Comment

The best line I heard from a "SOC" manager: "We pay you to fly, not to think...so get flyin"

Or something along those lines.

And from my months at JAZZ: "We have the best Pilots in the world. They just suck at everything else"

Not to offend anyone....you know...I'm just saying.
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale View Post
            Pilots, like Doctors, think that they are in charge and run the show.
            No, it's more like pilots naively think that management should honor its contractual obligations. The management, in its wisdom, usually has other ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
              No, it's more like pilots naively think that management should honor its contractual obligations. The management, in its wisdom, usually has other ideas.
              Agreed.

Comment

Working...
              X