Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passengers deiced at SEA

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/1...ef=mpstoryview
    SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- An accident involving de-icing solution being sprayed on an Alaska Airlines plane at Sea-Tac International Airport in Washington sent seven people to a hospital Wednesday, airport and hospital officials said.

The seven were transported to Highline Medical Center for minor issues, such as dizziness and nausea, said Sea-Tac Airport spokesman Perry Cooper. Another 25 people on the plane were treated at the scene.

There had been an initial report that two people were badly hurt, but Cooper said all of the injuries were minor. He said the seven taken to the hospital were airplane crew members, six working and one off duty.

What? How did they get hurt coming from? Is cabin passenger door left open while gate boarding? I don't get it how they spray at the passengers.. or were passengers walking outside to the plane as Alaska's Horizon commuter plane? How???

Stuart

Comment

I'm glad they got deiced.

Otherwise, I would fear more serious problems like frostbite and hypothermia!
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Sounds like the bleed(s) were left open during deicing.

Comment

I haven't heard of an incident of this kind. How common is this and has it happend before?

Comment

maybe new plane has all passengers rolling down the window open. LOL! just kidding...

How the bleed go through? I doubt it. Must be spray misplace turning noozle at the passengers walking to the plane's door or something..

Happy Holidays.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
              Sounds like the bleed(s) were left open during deicing.
              An Alaska Air pilot said it sounded like the ramp crew began the de-ice before the crew had properly set up the plane for de-icing.
              You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

I found google. Here is more story.

Accident: Alaska Airlines B738 at Seattle on Dec 24th 2008, de-icing accident
                By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Dec 24th 2008 16:33Z, last updated Wednesday, Dec 24th 2008 22:49Z

An Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration N516AS performing flight AS-528 from Seattle,WA to Burbank,CA (USA) with 143 passengers, 6 crew and 1 crew off duty, was being de-iced at the gate N7 when fumes entered the cabin and injured a number of passengers.

Around two dozen ambulances and fire trucks have been deployed. Several ambulances departed the airport with active sirenes.

A passenger complained, that they were exposed to the fumes for 45 minutes before they could disembark.

FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer reported at least 23 people complaining about eye irritation have been brought to hospital. The airport had earlier reported 2 people in critical condition.

Spokesman for Alaska Airlines Paul McElroy told The Aviation Herald, that the airplane had been pushed back for de-icing and was just being de-iced, when passengers started to complain about fumes and eye irritation. The airplane was towed back to the gate for deplaning. All on board disembarked and were evaluated by medical staff. 18 passengers were treated (eye wash) at the airport. No major injuries had occured, none of the passengers went to hospital. The 7 crew (including the off duty crew) elected to go to hospital for further evaluation, but have since been released and gone home. All passengers chose to embark a replacement aircraft, that reached Burbank with a delay of close to 5 hours. Alaska Airlines currently evaluates, how long it took to have the passengers disembark after the fumes occured. Maintenance is investigating, how the fumes could enter the cabin.

Source from: http://avherald.com/h?article=4123c206&opt=0

It looks like they got fumed from air vent. That's could be bleed open.

Stuart

Comment

This is a very unusual occurrence. The only way it could happen is if deicing fluid were directed into the APU inlet and the APU was supplying air to an operating PAC.
                  I've de-iced hundreds of aircraft with the APU operating a PAC and never experienced anything similar. We never directed fluid into the APU inlet.
                  Don
                  Standard practice for managers around the world:
                  Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    I'm glad they got deiced.

Otherwise, I would fear more serious problems like frostbite and hypothermia!
                    Oouuch, they are alive and kicking and on their way to set up a class action versus AS !!! .
                    Thanks for visiting
                    *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                    *JetPhotos*
                    Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                    X