No announcement yet.

Damaged QF A380 @ LAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never changed a jet engine because of an oil pressure problem.
    The problem is either the indicator or transmitter. If the problem remains, adjust or replace the oil pressure relief valve.

Jet engines have many oil pumps. One single pressure pump supplying pressure to the lubricating system and several (4 to 7 depending on the engine) scavenge pumps returning the oil from the bearing sumps and gear boxes to the oil tank. I have seen a failed scavenge pump cause excessive oil consumption by flooding the bearing compartment with oil, over powering the seal and allowing the oil to enter the air path. An engine shut down is eminent due to low oil quantity / pressure. Jet engine oil systems are serviced from quart (half liter) containers.

Piston engines, such as the P&W 2800 & 4360 and the Wright 3350 were considered to have normal oil consumption if they burned up to 2 gallons of the 120 grade (SAE 60 weight) oil per flight hour. Oil tanks were large, about 60 gallons in each engine and some aircraft carried extra oil in a separate tank that could be pumped into the engines in flight. Engine oil tanks were serviced from special trucks which pumped the stuff into the tanks through a hose and nozzle similar to those used to fill auto fuel tanks at service stations.

Jet engines are considered to have excessive oil consumption if they exceed one or two quarts per hour. The P&W JT9 and 4000 series engines hold 30-40 quarts per engine.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS View Post
      check the oil pressure transmitter, make sure your pressure switch is not closing at a higher psi then what its suppose to be at.
      Had one of those the other day actually. Nothin quite grabs your attention like *ding ding ding....oil pressure...oil pressure*. Thankfully the pressure was just fine and it was the switch that was failing.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
        Had one of those the other day actually. Nothin quite grabs your attention like *ding ding ding....oil pressure...oil pressure*. Thankfully the pressure was just fine and it was the switch that was failing.
        Sitting in 1C on one of our RJs I heard that go off yesterday as we were starting up...we taxied out anyway so I guess it was nothing.
        sigpic
        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
        X