What city Concorde been to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crunk415balla View Post
    Despite what the list says, a British Airways Concorde visited SFO in the 70s, as did one in Duluth(KDLH) in the 90s. Not a complete list.
    "not a complete list" I agreed I noticed some are missing and also missing from R to Z in Americas section.

Stuart

Comment

Uh, guys, can we really call "Touch-and-Go" a destination? Concorde performed a Touch-and-go at Aberdeen but it didn't - and couldn't - land. ABZ's runway is way too short.

Foundation Course in Aviation Engineering on-going; Stage One of the journey to professional engineer!

Comment

Originally posted by APS View Post
        Uh, guys, can we really call "Touch-and-Go" a destination? Concorde performed a Touch-and-go at Aberdeen but it didn't - and couldn't - land. ABZ's runway is way too short.
        Yes I would add it to the list....once the Dunlops or later Michelins contact the runway.At a little over 6,000 ft of runway the afterburners must have been engaged mighty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
          Yes I would add it to the list....once the Dunlops or later Michelin's contact the runway.At a little over 6,000 ft of runway the afterburners must have been engaged mighty quick.

Re configuring the Concorde for takeoff after a "Touch" for a "Go" involve very little time compared to other large aircraft, no flaps, slats or trim to reset.
          Don
          Standard practice for managers around the world:
          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
            Concorde also visited Saint Martin(SXM)on 17th of December 1989 bringing in French President for a summit.I have a photo that someone on a non aviation forum sent me but I will not post here because I forget who owns it
            Webshots, the best in Desktop Wallpaper, Desktop Backgrounds, and Screen Savers since 1995.

Comment

Air France in 1993 brought the Concorde to RNO (Reno,NV) believe it or not
              Last edited by RCoulter; 2009-02-07, 03:23.

Comment

The Concorde(G-BOAC) flew to Mumbai (Bombay) way back on the 7th of July 1975 as a part of the 'endurance flying'. I wasnt even born then, but my dad was at the airport to see her land in heavy rain.

More than 30 years later, I saw her in Manchester where shes on display in the AVP !

Nostalgia

Regards,
                Aalok

Comment

How did you know AJ that was the photo I was refering to(is there some device in 767 cockpits with links to all SXM photos)but you are correct as I stated earlier I forgot who sent it.It may well have been a link.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post
                    Re configuring the Concorde for takeoff after a "Touch" for a "Go" involve very little time compared to other large aircraft, no flaps, slats or trim to reset.
                    True,true but your omiting one thing Concordes landing speed much greater than all other airliners...hence a 6,000 ft runway gets eaten up pretty fast

Comment

The reason you don't see SFO shown is that the enviromentalists and noise abatement agitators persuaded the mayor of San Francisco to deny entry to SFO because of noise issues.

However, Oakland had no problems with the aircraft, because departure on runway 29 is over the water, and the plane would fly the scenic route straight down the Bay, over both the Bay Bridge, and the Golden Gate. It flew in and out of Oakland several times in the mid 90s on public relations tours. For $900 you could take a flight halfway to Hawaii, and would get to an altitude of 50,000 feet.

I used to have pictures of it closeup from the terminal, and I tried to take a video of it taking off. I was about 1000 ft from the end of the runway, and when it lifted off, and he hit the afterburner, it basically fried my old Panasonic video camera. All you could hear was the engines, and the picture was blurred from vibration.

By the time he reached the Bay Bridge, he was already at 15,000 feet, and that's less than 10 miles.

It was a beautiful plane, and it's sad that it is no longer with us.
                      Last edited by BigLeeCalif; 2009-02-07, 21:27. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Update Europe: Air France Concordes appeared at Hahn in Aug 1996 & June 2000, Stuttgart 1997 and Karlsruhe in June 2003 (very last flight). Zurich was visited in Aug 1998.
                        Special apperance in Mar 1997 by a BA Concorde visiting Hannover.
                        End of update.

get FRA spotting informations here:
                        www.Frankfurt-Aviation-Friends.eu

Comment

Originally posted by porter guy View Post
                          it landed in Regina SK, because of a mechanical problem, they thought the roofs on the houses would get blown off
                          Do you have any details about this? If so I would love to hear about it.

The reason I ask is that if it's the same time as I am thinking of I was under the impression it was a planned visit/stop in Regina by the Priminister of France. It must have been about about 1986-87 as I recall. It definately departed on a weekday as I skipped high school classes in order to watch it take off from CYQR. It was awesome.

Funny thing was the next day my teacher asked why I missed class. At the time I thought honesty was the best policy. So I told him I went to watch the first and likely last departure by a Concorde here. He said it was the most excellent excuse to miss a class that he had ever heard (in 30 years of teaching). Then further went on to say he wished he could have gotten out of classes to be there too.

Comment

F-BTSC visited Cairns (YBCS).

Comment

Add YYT to the list. I can remember having a picture taken in front of an AF Concorde at the fence in St. John's back before the new terminal was built. I suspect it was probably around 1992, but the memory is a little foggy this morning. Was a great sunny day in St. John's and if I recall correctly, it was a mechanical diversion.
                              ________
                              FREE STARBUCKS GIFT CARD
                              Aeroplan Elite / *A Gold

Next Flights:

Jan 6th YZF-YEG-YYC-YYZ
                              Jan 7th YYZ-YEG-YZF

TBC Jan 14th YZF-YEG-YOW
                              TBC Jan 17th YOW-YEG-YZF

Jan 23rd YZF-YEG-YOW-YHZ-YQX
                              Jan 27th YQX-YYT-YYZ-FRA-BUD
                              Feb 13th LBJ-FRA-YYZ-YOW
                              Feb 17th YOW-YEG
                              Feb 18th YEG-YZF

Comment

Originally posted by Aalok Gaitonde View Post
                                The Concorde(G-BOAC) flew to Mumbai (Bombay) way back on the 7th of July 1975 as a part of the 'endurance flying'. I wasnt even born then, but my dad was at the airport to see her land in heavy rain.

More than 30 years later, I saw her in Manchester where shes on display in the AVP !

Nostalgia

Regards,
                                Aalok

I have seen this bird in Mumbai once.. and that is between 1993-1997. i saw it t/o frm bombay, it was flying from australia to the UK or France. and had a tech stop due to some prob, or probably a fuel stop. I was surprised to see it here and so was my dad, it was confirmed the next day when the TOI had a picture of it in Bombay.

Comment

Working...
                                X