1 break, 3 airlines, 11 flights, 5200+ miles...Part 2 - out to Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 break, 3 airlines, 11 flights, 5200+ miles...Part 2 - out to Atlanta

I know that it's been longer than I said it would be for my next part, so here it goes.

Following this trip:

Only two days after I got home was when my dad, my brother, and I were scheduled to fly out to Atlanta for Christmas like we do each year. So that Saturday, the 20th, my dad came down, picked up my brother and I, and we headed towards AUS, which is only about 45 minutes to an hour away from Burnet, where we live. On the way down we decided to stop and eat dinner at Rudy's. Honestly, I've only had it once before and it is pretty good. After that stop, we continued on down to our hotel down by the airport. Our flight wasn't until 230pm the next day, so we actually had time to sleep in a bit longer than we usually do because the flights we usually get are early in the morning. So that was a nice change. Needless to say, we got plenty of rest that night.
    So because we didn't have to be at the airport until 1230, we didn't get up until about 9, went down and ate breakfast, and repacked what we got out for the night. We left the hotel about 1130 or so.
    Check-in was easy as usual with American's self check kiosks. Security was again a breeze with a bit of a line, but it went through fairly quickly. Every time I fly out of Austin, it seems like security runs quickly and smoothly. Overall, I just love the airport itself.
    My dad and I didn't have seats assigned to us at check-in, so we had to see the gate agent for ours. My brother did have his already for some reason, though. The flight to ORD was still at our gate delayed, so we sat there and watched it for a while.
    The two major carriers at AUS

When the ORD flight finally pushed back away from the gate and was on its way was when my dad decided to go up to the counter for our seats. My brother already had 31F and my dad and I were assigned 32A and B. Not the best seats, but I'm not complaining. We got on the flight.
    Disconnecting the flight to ORD with N927LR off to CLT in the background.

So after we got our seats, I decided to go check out what else was going on.
    UAEX 170 pushing back to DEN with the flight to ORD powering away on 35L.

CO 737 getting ready for the next flight. Can't remember if it was to IAH or EWR.
    [photoid=6503599]
    After that I made my way back to our gate and a few minutes later our plane arrived and pulled in.

See the last window back there? That's right. Mine, all mine.

Kinda wish I didn't have the engine in my window because where I live, Burnet, was on the left side of our flight. Sigh, oh well.
    About to take 35L

And we're off to DFW. In case you've ever wondered what it's like to sit in this section.

Created some interesting shots, though with the reflections on the nacelles.

The flight wasn't bad. I ordered a Dr Pepper like I usually do on American, and the drink service was again fairly quick because of the short flight time.
    Flying over Arlington Municipal KGKY where my dad works for Bell Helicopter. Their hangars are just out of view to the left.

It was fun trying to guess where we were with the very limited view that I had.
    Looks like the airport's fire department acquired a former FedEx 727.

Rolling out on 36L.

We had to wait a few minutes for another AA MD to clear the ramp so we could get in to our gate at Terminal D. When we finally got off, I still had a little bit of a headache from where we were seated.
    I don't know what it is exactly about American's 777s, but they look pretty awesome.
    AAL50 just pushed back on its way to EDDF. The tail of our MD-80 can be seen on the left side.

Another AA 777 resting up at gate D36.

We took the skywalk between the north side of terminals D and C because our flight to ATL was out of C. Never been up there before, and it is pretty cool. We made it to our gate not too long before they started boarding for AAL2222 to ATL.

This time I had a quieter seat in 15F.
    Another AA MD in front of one of the towers with a list of names of AA employees killed in the attacks on September 11.

Then an American Eagle plane caught my eye just after it had taken off from 36R. I almost forgot they had replaced the SAABs with ATRs.

Not too long after that we started pushback and headed out towards 35L. On the way out I noticed tails of the international carriers that serve DFW. KLM, BA, and LH all at their respective gates at terminal D. First time I had seen KLM at DFW since they started service last March. Actually come to think of it, this was my first trip through DFW since last January. Pretty cool to see them there.

Not too long after that, it was our turn to take the active.
    Got a view of the fences used to protect the new perimeter taxiway as we took 35L.

Takeoff was smooth and a bit quieter than the last one.

For some reason I love flying through DFW. Probably because of the vastness of it, I'm not for sure, but it's just awesome.
    Here's a view of the FedEx ramp with three MD-10s and an A300 visible.

As we reached cruising, beverage service began and again, I ordered a Dr Pepper. Now I knew this was an evening flight, so I really wanted to see the sunset. Well I got to, but I had to twist around a bit for it.
    Here's the sun still up.

Didn't catch the rego of this one.
    [photoid=6447875]
    It was pretty awesome to watch.
    Wingtip with some pretty cool things happening with the clouds as the sun sank towards the horizon.

Had to twist around to get this one out of my brother's window behind me.

It finally set while we were over Alabama.

After that point it was a bit tough for me to get decent shots with the low lighting. I did get a pretty sweet shot while we were making a turn, though. It's probably my favorite out of the few I took at that time.

By the time we were getting set up for landing, it had become even darker. It was really cool seeing all the planes up in the air, though. Even saw a C-17 not too far above us.
    We ended up landing on 27L again. Seems like I always tend to land on that one.

Landing went well and we taxied to our gate at the T concourse.
    UA 737 at the gate beside us as we waited to get off the plane.

It isn't a long walk to the baggage claim because it's basically right downstairs in T. As we waited for our bags, our Granddad found us and so we said our hellos. It didn't take too long for our bags to get there, and we picked them up when they did. Then we went to our Granddad's house to stay for our visit. The next few days consisted of the usual Christmas shopping and seeing family. On Christmas Eve all of us get together at my aunt and uncle's place in Powder Spring for dinner and presents. Splitting those, though, is the Christmas Eve service and my Granddad's church. It's awesome to see everyone every year. It began raining a bit when we got back to my cousin's place, so on the way back I decided to try a shot. Rain soaked windshield on the road.

Four out of us five cousins are only a year apart each and the fifth is almost 10 now, so it's fun to basically relive our kid days with him. He got tickets to the Chik-Fil-A bowl on New Year's Eve which he was pretty excited about. Both my other cousins go to Georgia Tech and one of them is in the band. My dad, my brother, and I couldn't stay for it, though. Would've been awesome to go to.
    My brother had to fly back home because he had a gig to play, my dad took the train up to North Carolina for a few days, and I had to fly up to MSP on the 28th.
    So that's the next one. ATL-MSP. Coming soon.

Good job on the flight review

Very nice flight review and pictures. I saw one that you got one photo into the database, have any of the others? I agree AA's 777 look really nice, I think it's due to the bare metal reflecting the sunlight. Just a quick question, did AA only provide a beverage service on most of your flights or did they offer anything else? Can't wait for part III.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

I don't remember exactly, but I think they might have buy-on-board food. I never bother with food on board unless it's free. I don't mind it, though.
      Oh, and I've been working on getting the first 777 on here, but haven't been successful thus far. Still gonna give it another shot sometime, though.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
        I don't remember exactly, but I think they might have buy-on-board food. I never bother with food on board unless it's free. I don't mind it, though.
        Oh, and I've been working on getting the first 777 on here, but haven't been successful thus far. Still gonna give it another shot sometime, though.
        The first photo of the Boeing 777 is really good, however, I can see how that MD-80 tail is going to cause a problem, nevertheless, good luck on that photo. The second photo of the AA 777, is a really nice closeup photo. Anyway, back on-topic, once again terrific job on this flight review and thank you for clearing up the AA beverage/food situation.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Great Report!!!

AA does not serve any snack on board except literally maybe 10-15 peanuts and pretzels in a ironic twist called "Premium Snacks" What the hell is so premium about it, maybe the bag it comes in is polished silver, but PUH-LEASE!

DFW-ATL is a BOB service so food was probably offered as a snack/meal to purchase which is lucky but it is right at the 2 hr mark which AA uses. I actually like that policy, anything under 2 hrs block time does not receive anything, coach or F, but in F you get a full meal 2 hrs or more, and you get BOB snack at 2 hr mark, and 3 hr mark or more you get a meal type of food or more variety of snacks.

I haven't flown AA in awhile and I am anxious to get back with them, me and AA haven't hooked up in awhile!

Alex
          Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777 View Post
            Great Report!!!

AA does not serve any snack on board except literally maybe 10-15 peanuts and pretzels in a ironic twist called "Premium Snacks" What the hell is so premium about it, maybe the bag it comes in is polished silver, but PUH-LEASE!

DFW-ATL is a BOB service so food was probably offered as a snack/meal to purchase which is lucky but it is right at the 2 hr mark which AA uses. I actually like that policy, anything under 2 hrs block time does not receive anything, coach or F, but in F you get a full meal 2 hrs or more, and you get BOB snack at 2 hr mark, and 3 hr mark or more you get a meal type of food or more variety of snacks.

I haven't flown AA in awhile and I am anxious to get back with them, me and AA haven't hooked up in awhile!

Alex
            Well, I did some research on AA and here's their food/beverage policy. Free non-alcholic beverages are available on all mainline flights and AA offers a premium snack on flights longer than 3 hours. The premium snacks are a large chocolate chunk cookie, similiar to what you got for desert in UA's PS business class, a 1.5 oz. bag of Lay's Chips, or a 1.5 oz. bag of pretzels (about 30 pretzels per bag). I agree, Delta has provides the best amount of free snacks/beverages in economy. United has gone credit card only for buy-on-board purchases, I wish that they would have continued to accept cash, in addtion to credit/debit cards, but oh well.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
              Well, I did some research on AA and here's their food/beverage policy. Free non-alcholic beverages are available on all mainline flights and AA offers a premium snack on flights longer than 3 hours. The premium snacks are a large chocolate chunk cookie, similiar to what you got for desert in UA's PS business class, a 1.5 oz. bag of Lay's Chips, or a 1.5 oz. bag of pretzels (about 30 pretzels per bag). I agree, Delta has provides the best amount of free snacks/beverages in economy. United has gone credit card only for buy-on-board purchases, I wish that they would have continued to accept cash, in addtion to credit/debit cards, but oh well.

Regards,

Rohan
              That's odd since AA.com shows BOB logo on any flight 2 hr or more, and DFW-ATL is exactly 2 hrs and they have a BOB service on it, and dinner/lunch/breakfast in F Class.

Alex

Comment

That's odd since AA.com shows BOB logo on any flight 2 hr or more, and DFW-ATL is exactly 2 hrs and they have a BOB service on it, and dinner/lunch/breakfast in F Class.

Alex
                That information was from about a year ago, so maybe AA changed it. They used to give you a choice of some snacks, in addition, to the availability of the buy on-board meals. Judging from AA's website it looks like they changed it.

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                  That information was from about a year ago, so maybe AA changed it. They used to give you a choice of some snacks, in addition, to the availability of the buy on-board meals. Judging from AA's website it looks like they changed it.

Rohan
                  Having flown AA since 2003 all the time, the change happened to where it was only "premium" snacks in coach under 2 hrs, and this in addition with the Buy on Board at 2 hrs for snacks, and 3 hrs or more for actual meals like sandwhich and salads and wraps.

In first class, meals show up at 2 hrs or more block time. This is a plus as no other airline matches that, next is 3 hrs I think at CO or NW/DL?

As you said, non alcoholic drinks are free and alcoholic are still charged.

Alex

Comment

Having flown AA since 2003 all the time, the change happened to where it was only "premium" snacks in coach under 2 hrs, and this in addition with the Buy on Board at 2 hrs for snacks, and 3 hrs or more for actual meals like sandwhich and salads and wraps.

In first class, meals show up at 2 hrs or more block time. This is a plus as no other airline matches that, next is 3 hrs I think at CO or NW/DL?

As you said, non alcoholic drinks are free and alcoholic are still charged.

Alex
                    Alex,

You were right. AA only sells buy on-board snacks on flights over 2 hours and sandwiches over 3 hours. On my AA flight, we got some tiny packets of pretzels and the cookie, Lays Stax, and nuts were for sale. I believe that AA doesn't offer the pretzels anymore, thankfully at least beverages are for free.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

nice report, love the 777 shot
                      Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

Working...
                      X