No announcement yet.

Government wants to stop F-22 for F-35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My take on the matter is that aircraft in our current fleet grossly outperform all other air forces in the world combined. There is no need for us to mass produce 2 new fighters and retire a majority of our existing fleet that can NOT be topped by anyone.

We can leverage both the F-22 and the F-35 designs and put them to work in future development for a gen 6 or 7 fighter if needed but mass producing these two aircraft in these two times is about as stupid as invading Iraq to support the war on terrorism.
    Proudly serving WTF comments since 2004

Comment

As for the F-22, I'll say that there is obviously nothing out there in the world that can match it, everyone knows that, and don't need that much. I think the 243 that the USAF wants is good enough as the proposed 750 isn't going to happen and if the line continues, as so does 95,000 jobs.

The F-35, I don't like how they are putting so much faith into the F-35 program and ordering so bloody many. They're over simplifying the fleet of the future (just like the navy), which I could understand saves costs, and the aircraft would have the capability to fill the roles of other aircrafts. What happens if some structural issue arises like when the F-15 A-C models had their issue, the entire fleet gets grounded, that's one pretty large proposed fleet. Also, like other people are saying here, the F-35 is limited in flexiability because of the stealth features while the Typhoon, SU-35/47, and Rafale have the ability to be flexible. They ought to invest more in the F-16 E/F variants as well as the newer F-15G/H variants to replace the older F-15/16s variants.
      what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
        As for the F-22, I'll say that there is obviously nothing out there in the world that can match it, everyone knows that, and don't need that much. I think the 243 that the USAF wants is good enough as the proposed 750 isn't going to happen and if the line continues, as so does 95,000 jobs.

The F-35, I don't like how they are putting so much faith into the F-35 program and ordering so bloody many. They're over simplifying the fleet of the future (just like the navy), which I could understand saves costs, and the aircraft would have the capability to fill the roles of other aircrafts. What happens if some structural issue arises like when the F-15 A-C models had their issue, the entire fleet gets grounded, that's one pretty large proposed fleet. Also, like other people are saying here, the F-35 is limited in flexiability because of the stealth features while the Typhoon, SU-35/47, and Rafale have the ability to be flexible. They ought to invest more in the F-16 E/F variants as well as the newer F-15G/H variants to replace the older F-15/16s variants.
        The F-35 is more flexible than any of its 4th generation predecessors. You can load it up externally just like an F15/16/18 where it will do a comparable or better job as a bomb truck, or it has the ability to do something that the teen series cannot do - that is go stealthy with internal loadouts. Just because the airframe is designed with VLO features doesn't mean that it has to be flown that way all the time.

I assume the concept of operations when using these airframes is to initially go stealthy, take out the opposing air, and air defence systems (similar to gulf war 1 and 2) then with little opposition the F-35's can be loaded up externally. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
          I assume the concept of operations when using these airframes is to initially go stealthy, take out the opposing air, and air defence systems (similar to gulf war 1 and 2) then with little opposition the F-35's can be loaded up externally. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.
          You know I never looked at the F-35 utilization in this light.. it almost makes having 2 different airframes unnessecary. It really would be as simple of a strategy as build 100 f-35s and call it a night!

Why would we need both the F-22 & F-35?
          Proudly serving WTF comments since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun View Post

I wish they'd open production of the F-15 Eagle for the guard units. The Eagles we have now are aging too much and won't continue. Seeing the factory is making a newer Strike Eagle for a different country, it would be easy and cheaper to keep it going.
            Congress has ordered and funded a study for just that. They are concerned that a big gap in air defense is going to happen around the 2014 time-frame and they want to know if a purchase of the latest variants of Eagles and Vipers to re-equip the Guard units is needed. Certainly units like the Green Mountain Boys from Vermont could use new Vipers with the latest bells and whistles.

Comment

As could the 104th from Barnes who converted from A-10s to Eagles that were at the Cape. The C models they got from Kadena had more hours than the A's at Otis......

Comment

Working...
              X