Lens for Nikon D60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens for Nikon D60

Been looking around for a while, so many to choose from in the same price range. Been looking at the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR, Sigma 70-200, Sigma 50-500,Sigma 50-150...anything else I should look into? Tamron have any offerings that I'm unaware of, which of the 3 listed would you favor? Already have a Nikon 18-55, and 55-200 in the bag.

Thanks guys!

It simply depends on your needs. I personally like the Nikon 70-300 very much, as I can confirm that my sample is ablet to match the colors and sharpness of the Nikon 80-200 2.8D under most conditions. Only when used wide open and at 300mm it becomes soft, but the softness is still fixable in editing.

The Bigma 50-500 would give you a healthy increase in zoom range and longest zoom. Many love it, but it has its limitations, like zhe 6.3 aperture at the long end and the fact that a 10x zoom does have to make compromises.

The Sigma 50-150 offers an uninteresting zoom range for spotting imho and I would prefer the Sigma 70-200 2.8 over it. Both are very fast and high quality options. The question is if you are satisfied with 200mm only, as your longest focal length.
    Last edited by seahawk; 2009-05-08, 16:27.

Comment

I can only say that the best thing I ever did was purchasing my Nikon 70-300 VR lens. A cracking bit of kit and the VR works very well for any kind of panning. It has made a HUGE difference to my photography.

I looked at the 80-400 VR the other day but at £900 - £1000 it's a bit out of my price range. Trouble is, I've heard good reports about it so I'd better make sure I'm never in a camera shop while under the "affuence of incohol !" or it might wind up in my possession.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
        Been looking around for a while, so many to choose from in the same price range. Been looking at the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR, Sigma 70-200, Sigma 50-500,Sigma 50-150...anything else I should look into? Tamron have any offerings that I'm unaware of, which of the 3 listed would you favor? Already have a Nikon 18-55, and 55-200 in the bag.

Thanks guys!
        how close can you get to your spotting? I have the Bigma and love it for clear days, not a great lens in low light conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun View Post
          how close can you get to your spotting? I have the Bigma and love it for clear days, not a great lens in low light conditions.
          At KDAL the 55-200 gives plenty of range. At KDFW unless I'm at founder's plaza then I really don't have the range out of my 55-200 to get a decent shot. So the 70-200 is not at the top of the list since it doesn't really help me in those respects.

As far as price range, I'd like to stay under $1000. Under $800 would be even better but I realize a good lens is going to cost me.

So the Sigma 150-500 and Nikkor 70-300 look to be the 2 in question here.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
            .........I personally like the Nikon 70-900 very much, .......
            70 - 900 !!

Where....when.....how much.........I want one........

...........NOW

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              I can only say that the best thing I ever did was purchasing my Nikon 70-300 VR lens. A cracking bit of kit and the VR works very well for any kind of panning. It has made a HUGE difference to my photography.

I looked at the 80-400 VR the other day but at £900 - £1000 it's a bit out of my price range. Trouble is, I've heard good reports about it so I'd better make sure I'm never in a camera shop while under the "affuence of incohol !" or it might wind up in my possession.
              Funny story...went to Best Buy today (have a college buddy that works up there) saw the D300 on sale, was intrigued. My buddy told me there were some D200s still left in the warehouse going for $599. Thinking about opening up a credit line with Best Buy (No Interest for 18 months) on the D200 body and the 70-300 VR lens.

Anyone want a lightly used D60 body?

Comment

Serioulsy, why would you want to take a debt to change from D60 to D200. The sensor is basically the same and if you do not find the AF or other features of the D60 totally lacking, you are putting money on the line for little gain.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                  Serioulsy, why would you want to take a debt to change from D60 to D200. The sensor is basically the same and if you do not find the AF or other features of the D60 totally lacking, you are putting money on the line for little gain.
                  Not 100% set on it, Just though it was a good deal considering the D200 body went for $900 just a year ago. Is the 11 pt AF leaps ahead of the 3 pt?

Comment

Yes, it is ahead of the 3-Point-AF but you could get the D200-AF with the D300 sensor in the D90. But as long as the AF of the D60 is not a limitation to your phootgraphy, why upgrade? Bodies and come and go, lenses last.

Comment

Ok I will probably hold off on the body and see what the reviews of the D5000 look like.

As far as the lens... here is what I'm looking at.

Nikon 70-300

Pros Cheapest (after all I am on somewhat of a college budget), Great sharpness, great reviews.

Cons Other than spotting at the founder's plaza area, I will need at LEAST 300mm to catch decent take off shots, but most likely more than that to reach the far runway on either side of the airport.

Sigma 120-400

Pros Decent price ($800ish from amazon) Great range, Good reviews, good sharpness, Has the greater range I may need.

Cons, Hmm seems like I may have found my answer....

Sigma 150-500

Pros More than plenty range, Decent Reviews, Sigma Lineage of good lenses

Cons, Soft from 300 out (according to most reviews) Most Expensive.

I think the Sigma 120-400 looks like a good lens for what I will need. Anyone have hands on experience with this lens?

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
                        ........I will need at LEAST 300mm to catch decent take off shots, but most likely more than that to reach the far runway on either side of the airport.........
                        While a long lens is handy for those far reaching shots don't forget that long range shooting very often includes heat haze for ground and close to ground shots. Also, the aircraft on the other side taking off may be in clearer air but you may well be shooting through hazy air closer to you.

Comment

I must say, that I own the former Sigma 135-400 zoom and it is a piece of crap compared to the Nikon 70-300 VR.

Comment

I can only say that the best thing I ever did was purchasing my Nikon 70-300 VR lens.
                            Well maybe I have done even better things in life but 70-300 is the best lens I have and ever had.

cheers, Pamela

Comment

While a long lens is handy for those far reaching shots don't forget that long range shooting very often includes heat haze for ground and close to ground shots. Also, the aircraft on the other side taking off may be in clearer air but you may well be shooting through hazy air closer to you.
                              Yes I have encountered that in the Summer from time to time. It can touch 110 in late July and early August here in the Dallas area. I usually just take a couple months off from trying to spot from any locations other than directly under the glideslope in those months as heat haze just turns my day upside down.

However on cooler days I found a great location for departures but the 55-200 just doesn't quite have the reach I've found. Here are some examples.

These photos are at 100% crop. So you can see I started out with a 3000+ pix image, and had to crop down to the center because the range on the lens was at its max and I couldn't frame the aircraft any better than this, obviously leading to the soft off color photos above.

This is why I'm worried about a 300, because it really doesn't give me THAT much more range. The Sigma 50-500 would definitely reach from this location with ease I think...the 70-300 may very well do it too but I like to frame the aircraft so I have to crop as little as possible, and I'm not sure the 70-300 has the range to do so from this location.

I was about 1/4 mile off the runway sitting parallel to it for these shots.

Edit, found the originals...here you can see my troubles...will the 70-300 be able to frame these aircraft from this distance edge to edge?

Comment

Working...
                              X