Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Air France said in a statement the plane sent an automatic message reporting an electrical short-circuit at 0214 GMT, roughly 15 minutes after flying into the turbulence."

Comment

"One hour after the flight took off at 7 p.m. local time on Sunday, the plane encountered “very heavy turbulence,” the Air France spokeswoman said. The plane disappeared from radar screens at 8:10 a.m. local time, 10 minutes after the heavy turbulence was reported. However, she said it was not known if the turbulence caused the disappearance."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/02/wo...e.html?_r=1&em
      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Just listened to a news brief from AF. If I read their comments correct, AF's Airman system reported multiple faults generated from the onboard Central Maintenance System (CMS). They did not elaborate on the type of faults.

If Airman transmitted this information by satcom uplink, it would have been received by AF almost as soon as it happened.

N1
        Last edited by N-ONE; 2009-06-01, 12:41. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairPilot View Post
          CBC News at 8:00 (EDT) reported that Air France had received a message from the plane "early in the flight" that there was an "electrical problem."

EDIT: later reported that an automatic message was received (at 10:14??) after the plane had passed throught severe turbulence
          CNN now reporting the message stated that there might have been a lightning strike.

Comment

CBC News at 8:00 (EDT) reported that Air France had received a message from the plane "early in the flight" that there was an "electrical problem."

EDIT: later reported that an automatic message was received (at 10:14??) after the plane had passed throught severe turbulence
            Curiously, Could this be an airframe issue. Only conjecture. God's speed to all involved.
            Who's on first?..........

Comment

It's concerning when one notices how many ADIRU issues there's been on Airbus and Boeing aircraft lately:

Comment

Originally posted by CockpitCat View Post
                It's concerning when one notices how many ADIRU issues there's been on Airbus and Boeing aircraft lately:
                Indeed.

Comment

I believe the airplane was too far away from the brazilian radars, there are places in the Atlantic where there is not radar coverage, I assume this is the case. Let's wait until the brazilian air force Mirage IV can find something in their radars, also Spain should launch their F-16s from Canary Islands.
                  A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                    I believe the airplane was too far away from the brazilian radars, there are places in the Atlantic where there is not radar coverage, I assume this is the case. Let's wait until the brazilian air force Mirage IV can find something in their radars, also Spain should launch their F-16s from Canary Islands.
                    I highly doubt FAB has any Mirage IVs.

Comment

..., also Spain should launch their F-16s from Canary Islands.
                      Spanish AF does not operate F-16 aircraft.
                      greetings,
                      Philip

Comment

Update: CBC now (c. 09:45) reporting that the automatic message also included "loss of pressurization."
                        fficeffice" />>>
                        Question for you pros: don't pilots try to avoid storms (any more)?

Comment

This is the latest satellite picture from the METEOSAT satellite, as you can see there is an area of thunderstorms between Africa and South America, I believe this is a tropical wave (a future hurricane)...
                          A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

This is the latest satellite picture from the METEOSAT satellite, as you can see there is an area of thunderstorms between Africa and South America, I believe this is a tropical wave (a future hurricane)...
                            Good info, just weird that a "slight" course deviation probably could have avoided going through the storms...
                            Why would they (if they did) go through the storms and wouldn't the on-board wx radar show the severity of it?

Comment

are there any reports of problems / turbulence by other airliners that used the same route at approximately the same time?

it looks to me like AF447's route was directly heading over the bad weather area (satellite picture by AVION1). same question like ArmchairPilot: why did they fly through there?

Comment

Loss of pressurization can take on several different faces, pressure hull loss(in some regard)or dual engine failure or dual bleed fault or possibly dual CPC (cabin pressure controller)fault.

This amoungst other failures, ECAM would have been going ballistic...not good.

N1

Update: CBC now (c. 09:45) reporting that the automatic message also included "loss of pressurization."
                                fficeffice" />>>
                                Question for you pros: don't pilots try to avoid storms (any more)?

Comment

Working...
                                X