View Poll Results: Which brand of camera do you prefer and why?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon

59 55.66%
  • Nikon

34 32.08%
  • Olympus

1 0.94%
  • Kodak

0 0%
  • Sony

4 3.77%
  • Other

8 7.55%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of Camera and which brand do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysconcorde View Post
    Isn't Panasonic even considered by the big guys?
    Sure .... as soon as we talk about TV or DVD equipment!

Sorry, but for us elitist snobs, everything outside the Canon/Nikon frame is just ... well .... nice to talk about, unless we want ta start discussing the Hasselblads of this world. While building a camera shouldn't be rocket science for the top companies, there is simply a spiritual affinity to the cameras we started with.

It's like Formula 1 without Ferrarri, McLaren, Sauber-BMW, Renault ... in other words: ask again next year!

Default Canon and Olympus

As a teenager I appropriated my father's Canon AE-1 and assorted lenses. I was quite happy with the results I was getting so when I switched to digital in 2004 I stuck with the Canon brand.

I am now using a 40D, my third Canon body (300D was stolen, its replacement, a 350D, was sold when I picked up the 40D). I have been quite pleased with the image quality from those bodies and their ease of use.

In terms of Canon compatible glass, I have owned, aftermarket, Canon L, Canon mid grade and Canon basic consumer grade glass. The IQ of the images I have taken, with my 70-200mm F4 L and 70-300mm IS, has been fantastic.

My only real complaint with Canon is the huge variability in quality with their the consumer grade glass. Over time I have owned three of the 18-55mm models (latest is the IS model). The first copy produced great images (alas it was on my 300D when stolen) . The second was sold with my 350D and the images it produced were 'muddy' as compared to my first copy. My current IS version is in the middle of the pack, better than my sold copy but still decidedly inferior to my original 18-55mm. I saw similar quality variation with the 55-200mm USM IIs I used/sampled when I was shooting with that lens.

I recently picked up an Olympus E-410 two lens kit for $400 at closeout for use as a travel camera. The small size, build quality and controls are fantastic but the the rather narrow dynamic range makes high contrast shots incredibly difficult to capture (even using raw with the camera settings tweaked). If I had my time back I would not have purchased that one, despite the apparent deal.

cheers

Mark

Nikon - started with an F50 film cam then onto a nikon d50,then onto a D80,currently have the 18-135 (very versatile zoom range) & the sigma 70-200mm F2.8 which is a nice step in terms of sharpness i find over a standard 70-300mm.
    Passing through singapore later in the year thinking of a D90 but probably just pick up a 2x converter instead.

Started digital with Nikon 3200 and then 4600. Then I got the Canon Powershot S3 IS a couple years ago. This year I received the Canon XSi for my birthday along with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. Both have IS. I've played around with friends' Canons before, so I really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgolfer View Post
    Started digital with Nikon 3200 and then 4600. Then I got the Canon Powershot S3 IS a couple years ago. This year I received the Canon XSi for my birthday along with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. Both have IS. I've played around with friends' Canons before, so I really like them.
    Congradulations on getting the Canon Rebel XSi! Can't wait to see some of your photos with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NF Spotter View Post
    As a teenager I appropriated my father's Canon AE-1 and assorted lenses. I was quite happy with the results I was getting so when I switched to digital in 2004 I stuck with the Canon brand.

I am now using a 40D, my third Canon body (300D was stolen, its replacement, a 350D, was sold when I picked up the 40D). I have been quite pleased with the image quality from those bodies and their ease of use.

In terms of Canon compatible glass, I have owned, aftermarket, Canon L, Canon mid grade and Canon basic consumer grade glass. The IQ of the images I have taken, with my 70-200mm F4 L and 70-300mm IS, has been fantastic.

My only real complaint with Canon is the huge variability in quality with their the consumer grade glass. Over time I have owned three of the 18-55mm models (latest is the IS model). The first copy produced great images (alas it was on my 300D when stolen) . The second was sold with my 350D and the images it produced were 'muddy' as compared to my first copy. My current IS version is in the middle of the pack, better than my sold copy but still decidedly inferior to my original 18-55mm. I saw similar quality variation with the 55-200mm USM IIs I used/sampled when I was shooting with that lens.

I recently picked up an Olympus E-410 two lens kit for $400 at closeout for use as a travel camera. The small size, build quality and controls are fantastic but the the rather narrow dynamic range makes high contrast shots incredibly difficult to capture (even using raw with the camera settings tweaked). If I had my time back I would not have purchased that one, despite the apparent deal.

cheers

Mark
    I agree Mark, Canon's lenses can be of very different qualities. The 18-55 has had a few problems of lenses being of different qualities, but overall I think it's a pretty good kit lens. My friend had quite a few problems with the Canon 55-200 mm lens, and he had to get 2 replacements before he finally got a good piece. The Canon 70-300 mm lens is amazingly good! One thing I never liked about Canon is the fact that only the high-end lenses have USM. I was highly dissapointed that the $500 18-200 mm lens didn't have USM. Nikon lenses on the other hand, have VR in many of their lower-end lenses.

Regards,

Rohan

Sony Alpha 700 and Minolta Dynax 5D

with lenses:
    Minolta 100-400
    Sony 70-300G
    Minolta 28-135
    Minolta 70-210
    --------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rohank4284 View Post
    Congradulations on getting the Canon Rebel XSi! Can't wait to see some of your photos with it.
    A few are already up on here. More to come.

I got the Nikon D5000 with a Nikkor 18-105 VR lens kit. I got this DSLR as I have never had one before and am just learning about all of the aspects of good photography .

It is quite a good camera and allows you to do many different things. It is probably not as good as the Nikon D300 or D700, but compares to the D90 and is very good for beginners.

Here is one I took recently.

Nehal

Default Canon 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by rohank4284 View Post
    ... The Canon 70-300 mm lens is amazingly good!
    My 70-300mm IS was fantastic...

A year or so ago, however, it was dropped on to pavement. This knocked it out of alignment. Canon Canada serviced it last December and while it is now much better than it was after the 'knock' it is still not up to scratch. The farthest right 1/5th of the image being much softer than the rest of the frame. Once an image is cropped to 1024 wide it is fine, but for most shots I now stick with the 70-200L F4. Luckily in these parts one rarely needs more that 200mm worth of reach.

cheers

Mark

JetPhotos.Net Crew

Nikon for me. Funnily enough the reason I chose the nikon was becasue it just felt right in my hand. The Canon felt like a toy.

Currently use a D300, a D200, and covet a D700.

Quote Originally Posted by LX-A343 View Post
    Sure .... as soon as we talk about TV or DVD equipment!

Sorry, but for us elitist snobs, everything outside the Canon/Nikon frame is just ... well .... nice to talk about, unless we want ta start discussing the Hasselblads of this world. While building a camera shouldn't be rocket science for the top companies, there is simply a spiritual affinity to the cameras we started with.

It's like Formula 1 without Ferrarri, McLaren, Sauber-BMW, Renault ... in other words: ask again next year!
    I asked about Panasonic because for now my travel camera doubles as my spotting camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ-6, i'm into spotting "sort of in a serious way" fairly recent and I look forward to buying a DSLR in the future.

I also asked about Panasonic because of the new DMC-G1 that I'm tempted to investigate more and could be a future investment.
    But... I also want to be an elitist snob!!!!!!!

P.D: I knew that Hasseblad made top of the line equipment but there are cameras of over US$30,000!!! wow!

I just got my first DSLR in Jan 2009 so I got the best, Sony A200 with the 18-70 kit lens, a Sigma 28-105 and a Sigma 55-200. Can't beat them!!!!!

Started with 35mm Minolta (last century) got a Dimage 7 which was ok for close stuff but hopeless for anything else. Switched to Canon and currently have a 40D + 20D backup with 17-85 & 100-400L lenses.

Default which camera

For photo outing: CanonA200, sigma 28-105, sigma 55-200 and sony 18-70, always with me.Canon A1000 IS, very happy with both!

As I said earlier, I use Nikon. My wife uses Canon.

Personally I like a heavier camera body as I find panning easier. The body weight balances the lens weight, which is why I went for Nikon. I also use a shoulder pod for my 70-300 and 150-500 lenses.
    I find the Canon bodies ( 'er indoors has a 400D ) to be too light for me. I tried hers for a day and just couldn't get on with it.

Forget all about any "Canon-is-better-than-Nikon" arguments, both are excellent makes. It all revolves around which is the one you feel most comfortable handling. Go to your camera stores and ask to handle the various types with differnt lenses fitted...and you need to handle them for some time. If the store won't co-operate ?.... then go somewhere else that will. It's your money you're spending.

Above all, remember this...it's the quality of the glass up front that dictates the quality of your photography. That's where you need to make the investment. A good store will have salespersons who can advise you well with regard to what you want to do with your camera.

Let's face it, you're going to be spending a sum that will get you a half decent car, and that's reckoned to be the second most stressful purchase in your life !
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

My main body is a Canon 40d with a 70-200 f2.8L lens and 1.4x extender. I also have a 400d as a 2nd body and my other main used lenses are a Canon 24-105 f4L and a Canon 10-22.

Nikon D300 with 70-200 2.8, I used to have a D70s but got stolen, its cool the insurance was more than I would have got if I sold it!!

For me it's Canon too!

Use a mixture of 5D2/1D2/10D and 400D with a mixture of L zoom's and primes. My main lens being a 70-200F2.8LIS and a 100-400LIS when it works.
    Chris Sharps
    5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
    17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
    24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
    1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

In the middle of nowhere, central Florida.

A couple of 50D's and some white lenses. They work very well for me.

In the old days I used Asahi Pentax equipment. Lateron, after getting my first job, I switched to Nikon, partly because I wanted superb camera equipment (and thats Canon or Nikon for me) and because a lot of my friends used Nikon.

But as said by a few others before me: it's the photographer, not the equipment. It only helps you te get more out of it.

Brgds, Peter

See my latest photos on Jetphotos.net or Aircolours.com or Aviationphotos.org