NTSB investigating runway incursions in Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTSB investigating runway incursions in Cleveland

From an email received a short time ago (they are busy today in Washington)

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
    Washington, DC 20594

June 30, 2009

NTSB INVESTIGATING RUNWAY INCURSIONS IN CLEVELAND

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating two runway incursions that occurred at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) in Cleveland, Ohio.

The most recent occurred at 8:56 a.m. EDT on Friday, June 26, 2009. Express Jet flight 2426, an E-145, was cleared by the tower developmental controller to cross runway 24L at taxiway S in order to depart from runway 24R. Approximately 19 seconds later, the same controller cleared CommutAir flight 8717, a DH8, for takeoff on runway 24L. The Express Jet flight crew saw the departing airplane and advised the tower controller they would not cross the runway. CommutAir 8717 rotated about 1,500 feet from where Express Jet 2426 was positioned.

The incident is the second of its kind at CLE in three weeks. On June 3, 2009, at 3:15 p.m. EDT, a runway incursion occurred in which a B-737 was cleared by a developmental controller to taxi into position the same runway on which an E-145 was cleared and entering for take-off. The E-145 crew saw the B737 and queried the tower controller. The two flights came within 500 feet of each other on runway 6L. This was the same developmental controller involved in the June 26 incident.

# # #
    2005 - LBA-LHR-MAD-SCL (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2006 - EZE-MAD-LHR-LBA (BMI/Iberia A319/A340)
    2007 - MAN-MBJ (Monarch B767)
    2008 - MAN-CDG-HKG/HKG-CDG-MAN (Air France B777)
    2008 - MAN-AMS-IAH/IAH-AMS-MAN (KLM B747 combi)

30/31 Mar 2010 - MAN-AMS-SIN (KLM B737/B777)
    06 May 2010 - GOA-LGW-MAN (British Airways A320)

Originally posted by shamrock View Post
    This was the same developmental controller involved in the June 26 incident.
    And probably not the same one who'll be involved in any more!!
    Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Yeah that guy needs to be fired...this isn't rocket science...

Comment

Developmental Controller == noob right?

Aren't these guys supervised?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
          Developmental Controller == noob right?

Aren't these guys supervised?
          My guess is that on two occasions this guy wasn't!
          Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Since the controller in question was a developmental/in-training controller, the controllers supervising him/her will be the ones with the heat turned up on them.

Comment

I don't see how the traffic controllers do it at all these days. I guess it sounds simple and obvious to some people, but to me, with all the lives involved, it sounds like the express train to high blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
                I don't see how the traffic controllers do it at all these days. I guess it sounds simple and obvious to some people, but to me, with all the lives involved, it sounds like the express train to high blood pressure.
                I think its one of those professions that you just need to be "cut-out" to do it. I was acquainted with an ATC yrs ago-- his kids went to school with mine. He was probably one of the most calm/mellow guys you'd ever meet.

I think that job is anything but simple.

Comment

Mmm-hmmm. Yes, but I think the calm, mellow types are probably the ones who can handle it. Somebody who is normally hyper might become dangerous when things get really bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X