Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going home to JFK......VIA LAX!!! (Lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going home to JFK......VIA LAX!!! (Lots of pics)

I had booked my self an adventure for my return trip....here you go

BA 0279
    LHR-LAX
    Date: 2nd June 2009
    Depart scheduled/actual: 10:15/11:08
    Airborne: 11:22
    Runway: 09R
    Touchdown: 13:54
    Runway: 24R
    Arrive scheduled/actual: 13:25/13:58
    Flight duration scheduled/actual: 11hrs 10min/10hrs 50min
    Taxi time: 18 minutes
    Flight time in air: 30hrs 32min
    Aircraft: Boeing 747-436 G-CIVL
    Load:
    First - 70%, Business - 35 %, WTP - 80%, WT - 90&

Check-in was fast, it took me about 2.5 minutes to get through security so i was happy.

taken from the exit door.

Taken from my seat 37K

Sharp right turn after take-off

FL320, the crew served our snack.

Worcester sauce Pretzel nuggets and a sprite.

When I turned on the PTV I noted I had about 17 channels. I was really frustrated because I was the only one with the old PTV system! I don’t know why it was like this.
    When we left the Irish coast we hit very strong headwinds which continued all the way to Los Angeles. Sometimes the headwinds were so bad that we only flew about 780km/h.
    As food service commenced we changed our cruise to FL340 and shortly after to FL360. The food today was either lasagna or chicken. I chose chicken which was really good.

Midway through the flight I went out of my seat and didn’t return first after an hour and half. Over Canada we changed the cruise altitude to 38,000 feet. The view of Canada was really nice until it became too cloudy to see anything

I moved back a few rows and took this

Taken from my seat 37K

What airport is this?

Grand canyon

During descent i saw this, what is it?

What airport is this?

Smooth landing onto 24R
    As usual we landed on runway 24R, at 13:54. It was another smooth landing. We used the whole runway because as I would know later, we parked at a remote gate. But this wasn’t one of the usual remote gates. It was like a small free standing building with a jet way. As you left the building there were buses waiting for you. The bus ride was short and we passed two QF A380s parked next to each other.

When we arrived at TBIT there were already long queues to passport control, but as a Visa holder it went all smooth and quick. But to get my bags wasn’t that smooth! My bags came out as the last, literally. I was really frustrated because I had to wait over an hour to get my two bags!
    I Headed towards my hotel and explored around for a while, then i got some shut eye for the early start tomorrow

Second flight:

2nd June 2009
    UA22, LAX-JFK
    Block Time: 05 hours, 30 minutes
    757-222, N554UA, Fleet# 5754
    Seat: 3D, Premium Service First Class

Load Factor:
    First Class- 66%
    Business- 100%
    Coach- 100%

Gate sign at 75B for UA22.
    So, near the tail end of the boarding process, I was finally called up to get my seat. I was offered window or aisle, and of course chose window.

United P.S First class during boarding.
    United's P.S. product seems to get an all-around warm reception, from frequent fliers and a.net alike. I personally really like it too. I mean, those First Class seats have to be the nicest on any 757 out there. Anyhow, I took a lot of pictures, annoying the hell out of my seatmate, I'm pretty sure.

"Heavenly"Pillow and blanket for P.S travellers
    So, soon enough, we pushed back from the gate and taxied out to the runway. Just short of the runway though, we pulled off and shut down our engines. The captain got on the PA and said that ATC told him we would be delayed about 30 minutes due to ATC flow and volume issues. Great...

We ended up only sitting about 10 minutes though, and got started up and on our way again fairly quickly.

Another UA 757 waiting for T/O.

Climbing out of LAX

Personal media player for P.S travellers, and noise cancelling headset.
    After awhile, the FA's began to start the breakfast service with drinks, followed by the cereal and yogurt, then the breakfast entree of our choice

Just before breakfast service.

Audio on demand....wide range of music to select from, EXCELLENT
    To begin-

Fresh from the bakery: A selection of danish, croissants, and bagels with butter, cream cheese, and fruit preserves

A healthy start: Muesli with the option of dried cranberries

Mixed berry yogurt parfait

Main Course-

Florentine bistro eggs topped with asiago cheese, baby baker potatoes

Buttermilk banana pancakes with maple cream sauce

Fresh seasonal fruit plate

Buttermilk banana pancakes, MAN THOSE WERE GOOD

After a few episodes of "the simpsons" i hit the sack.
    Turns out the Pillow and blanket are "Heavenly"....they are excellent.
    About an hour out from JFK, the FA's came by with a second service, which I really wasn't expecting... I guess I didn't read the menu all the way through. So, from the menu:

Prior to Arrival-

GrilledChicken with three bean salad and fresh fruit

Cheese plate with fresh fruit

Eli's passion fruit cheesecake

Unfortunately, after a relatively short flight, we were on descent. Lately I've been used to the duration of the Transpac flights, at 12 hours or more, so a 5.5 hour transcon almost seemed much to short to be be able to fully enjoy everything that is offered in United's P.S. First Class.

Descent into JFK.

Landing was smooth and a warm welcome to JFK from the Excellent crew.
    Picture of our plane after our Transcon flight.

Overall :
    I think that United, even during they're crisis, they still manage to pull it off, i would recommend UA to ANYONE , they are proffesional, punctual,and they make some nice pancakes

Thank you for reading....

:-) Life is like a Journey,Travel it well. United Airlines :smile:
    :heart::smile::D:razz::-):-P:grin::):-D:love:

LHR-LAX-JFK....lol you like exploring dont you....Excellent report nd pics, You should see some of the reports on here about UA, not ONE of them is positive, your the first, at least they have some fans.
    Keep up the hard work
    Theres strong, then theres Army Strong!
    www.goarmy.com

Comment

Originally posted by LondonJoe View Post
      LHR-LAX-JFK....lol you like exploring dont you....Excellent report nd pics, You should see some of the reports on here about UA, not ONE of them is positive, your the first, at least they have some fans.
      Keep up the hard work
      I posted a UA PS F/C Trans Con service trip report too and had nothing but good things to say about it as well.

Good report and thanks for the memories, if you want to compare yours with mine, I flew during the lunch service.

Alex
      Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Comment

Wonderful report! It looks like you enjoyed flying on the 747, and on PS!

The pictures were awesome!

It looks like BA is a great airline to fly! I hope to try them out one day!

I think the airports you saw were Colorado Springs, and Long Beach. (But don't trust me on that, I could be totally wrong!)

P.S. looks pretty sweet, and like they treated you pretty well! I really want to try them out one day!

Great report!

Comment

Thank you very much for the kind comments.....do you know what that R is on that mountain...that is puzzling?

Comment

Originally posted by I_Love_NY View Post
            Thank you very much for the kind comments.....do you know what that R is on that mountain...that is puzzling?
            That's rather common out west, it could represent the name of a town, HS Football team, or local College.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonJoe View Post
              Keep up the hard work
              Excellent flight review and superb pictures! Those pancakes on UA look amazing and even the second meal looks very good. How would you rate your experience on BA and the new Heathrow Terminal 5? I flew them back in late May to New Delhi and found them to be pretty good. Here's a link to my report, if you want to take a look. http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=47456 Keep up the very good flight reviews!

LondonJoe,

As for every trip report on UA being negitive, again not exactly true. UA is infamous because once things go wrong, they go incredribly wrong, which is why many people's (including mine) worst experiences are on UA. I flew them back in January from DEN-EWR and had an average to good experience with them. You can take a look around and find that trip report.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Rohan thank you for your nice comments, Those pancakes WERE delicous, UA are the best.
                T5 i think is pretty confusing, but it is quick,clean,and usually on-time (judging by the departure board)

Comment

nice report and pics
                  Airlines: XT,KL,SN,ACA,DL,AF,TV,SN,OS,LX,WA,NW,FI,US,AW,CO,OH,OO,9W,AA,AE,FL,B6

Aircraft:AT4,B763,B734,A321,B743,FRJ,B763ER,B772,A343,B733,F70,MD80,AR8,A319,CRJ,F50,D10,D95,A333,B752,B762,ERD,B764,CR9,B77W,AB6,ATR,B717,E190

Airports: ANR,AMS,ATL,BRU,ATH,JFK,LGA,GSP,CDG,FCO,EWR,FAO,VIE,ZRH,MEM,DTW,KEF,PHL,CLT,IAH,MIA,JAX

Comment

man ...

i need to stop flying air tran once a month ..we dont get food that looks like that ..hahaha good show good show

Comment

Working...
                    X