Correlation of Crashes and Destination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correlation of Crashes and Destination

Just wondering if crashes vary with how busy the destination airport is. That is, do a greater number of crashes simply reflect a greater number of flights? Or do other factors like weather, terrain, or whatever else skew the results to any degree? I was thinking that some landings probably are just easier than others. I don't really even know if planes crash more on landing or taking off. I'm assuming the planes on autopilot have the least frequency of crashes.

Don't ask questions like this.

The risk of crashes is so ridiculously small and very random that such stats, while maybe having some validity, are largely meaningless.

The true mathematical risk of a plane sliding off a snowy runway at Miami is less than that at Denver, but is there anything meaningful you can really do or say about that?

Are more peple killed in runway collisions at uncontrolled, small-town airports in good weather, busy hubs at sunset, or quiet tropical islands?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
      Just wondering if crashes vary with how busy the destination airport is. That is, do a greater number of crashes simply reflect a greater number of flights? Or do other factors like weather, terrain, or whatever else skew the results to any degree? I was thinking that some landings probably are just easier than others. I don't really even know if planes crash more on landing or taking off. I'm assuming the planes on autopilot have the least frequency of crashes.
      This would be a difficult one to assess for the reasons that 3WE has outlined. Also there is the human factor - the infamous approach to Kai Tak meant a curved approach whilst threading your way between hi-rises (or so I've heard - no expert in this area) - that was an approach that no doubt demanded concentration and a fair bit more skill (particularly in bad weather I'd guess) than say landing at Edwards AFB with its shuttle length runway and nothing to hit. BUT, humans being humans, perversely, a difficult approach may mean the pilots may be far more alert than something more routine like the Turkish airlines prang in Holland. Maybe if that crew were more challenged by a more difficult approach they would have been ahead of the aircraft a tad more? It's this human factor that may skew the stats.

Comment

Working...
      X