Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Scrap Value

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into what the hull of an aircraft would be worth after nearly everything has been removed, leaving just the metal shell.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it probably depends on the aircraft.

Many years ago, I read something that suggested that L-1011s were almost "worse than useless" from this point of view, due to the presence of significant amounts of material that contaminated the scrap aluminum, such as depleted uranium counterweights.

I'm less sure, but in more recent aircraft with a higher composite content, this could also be an issue.

For an older aircraft, you're essentially determining its value in scrap aluminum, less the cost of breaking it up into small enough bits that it can be handled. I'd be interesting in hearing more from someone that's knowledgeable about the business.

Comment

Originally posted by CanVoodoo View Post
      I'm not an expert by any means, but it probably depends on the aircraft.

Many years ago, I read something that suggested that L-1011s were almost "worse than useless" from this point of view, due to the presence of significant amounts of material that contaminated the scrap aluminum, such as depleted uranium counterweights.

I'm less sure, but in more recent aircraft with a higher composite content, this could also be an issue.

For an older aircraft, you're essentially determining its value in scrap aluminum, less the cost of breaking it up into small enough bits that it can be handled. I'd be interesting in hearing more from someone that's knowledgeable about the business.
      All aircraft must have balanced control surfaces, not just the L-1011, so depleted uranium was used all the major manfactures. Since the location of the counter weights is known they can be removed and recycled separartly. Addtionally depleted uranium (key word depleted) is harmless as long as it in its solid form. If the weight is corroded or the paint is flaking a mask and gloves should be worn to prevent accidentally ingesting any dust.

Comment

Take the scrap price of aluminum times the weight of the shell minus the cost to cut it into acceptable pieces.
        Signatures are overrated

Comment

Depends where itīs located as well, if itīs parked in the desert more, if itīs parked somewhere and costing lot of money like the B742 at ARN which turned into jumbohostel.com it costs less..
          "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

I just watched a show called 747 breakdown and it said that there is $30,000 worth of aluminium in a 747. So are they saying that an empty shell of a 747 is worth only 30k.

Comment

Well, The aluminum used is very thin, so I guess 30k is acceptable.

Comment

Working...
              X