Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Ignites Explosive on NWA/DL flight Flight 253

Firecrackers Set Off Aboard Commercial Flight

(Dec. 25) -- A passenger aboard a plane at Detroit Metropolitan Airport set off firecrackers Friday, causing a commotion and some minor injuries, a Delta official said.

Delta Air Lines spokeswoman Susan Elliott said the passenger was subdued immediately. She had no details on the injuries.

One passenger from the flight was taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, hospital spokeswoman Tracy Justice said. She didn't know the person's condition, or whether the person was a man or woman. She referred all inquiries to the FBI.

An FBI spokeswoman in Detroit said the incident is being investigated.

The firecrackers went off as Northwest Airlines Flight 253, an Airbus 330 carrying 278 passengers, was arriving in Detroit from Amsterdam. Delta and Northwest have merged.

J.P. Karas, 55, of Wyandotte, Mich., said he was driving down a road near the airport and saw a Delta jet at the end of the runway, surrounded by police cars, an ambulance, a bus and some TV trucks.

"I don't ever recall seeing a plane on that runway ever before and I pass by there frequently," he said.

Karas said it was difficult to tell what was going on, but it looked like the front wheel was off the runway.

Associated Press writers Randi Berris in West Bloomfield, Mich., and Shelley Adler in Washington contributed to this report.

At first I thought it was some idiot who set off fireworks but now, whew..., that's a close one.
    Last edited by Eric Diffoot; 2009-12-26, 01:01. Reason: Change of opinion
    what ever happens......happens

The dumbass who set off the explosives now claims he is a member of al-Qaeda and was trying to blow up the aircraft.

Comment

Some news sources claim that that guy is actually on the no-flight list. If that is indeed the case, someone in AMS must've royally fvcked up. What good is APIS when it's not being used...

Comment

I remember back in the Bush years that Homeland Security was demanding that other countries supply personal info on passengers coming to the US. Now I thought issuing a visa would take care of that, but seemingly not. Anyway, I now wonder what became of that. As some have rightly said, screening people getting aboard an airplane in another country is the job of those countries. And it is possible (likely?) that some are doing a worse job than TSA. Not that TSA is a paragon of efficient performance, but the fact is that security on American planes really isn't as close to foreigners' hearts as it should be to Americans'. Where we need to get to is no planes flying into American airports with passengers who are suspects, excepting if they've been subjected to enhanced scrutiny.

Comment

Well I didn't think at first that it was a safety issue, that's my bad, I just thought it was some idiot who set off a firework in the plane, according to when the story first broke out. I just thought it was interesting to post up at first. There are things out there that some people may or may not consider it safety issue. Until they released the info that it was a bomb, then yeah you can consider it a safety issue. Thankfully no one got serious hurt, except for the person with bomb.
          what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
            I remember back in the Bush years that Homeland Security was demanding that other countries supply personal info on passengers coming to the US. Now I thought issuing a visa would take care of that, but seemingly not. Anyway, I now wonder what became of that. As some have rightly said, screening people getting aboard an airplane in another country is the job of those countries. And it is possible (likely?) that some are doing a worse job than TSA. Not that TSA is a paragon of efficient performance, but the fact is that security on American planes really isn't as close to foreigners' hearts as it should be to Americans'. Where we need to get to is no planes flying into American airports with passengers who are suspects, excepting if they've been subjected to enhanced scrutiny.
            There are ways around everything.

Comment

CNN is providing updates. Turns out the suspect was on a database, not on a no-fly list. Probably if he was on a passenger manifest, it didn't really set off alarm bells anywhere. They say he isn't considered an extensively-trained cell member. Maybe that's a new tactic. Or maybe this was his own little jihad which didn't work because he hasn't got the training of a full foot-soldier. The Reid guy who was trying to light a fuse in his shoe seemed like a cowboy jihadist to me, too.

They also said that TSA has run tests on its equipment and procedures and found they don't reliably detect bombs people are carrying on their bodies. So, I guess we all can consider there is some small likelihood on every flight we take that a bomb has been smuggled on board. But to be honest, is it any more dangerous than what the airlines themselves are known to be doing? Like the oxygen containers on Valu-Jet? The infrequently maintained stabilizer screws on Alaska Airlines? This is an added danger, sure, but hardly seems to me like a big escalation. But I'm sure the passengers, who all survived, are glad the guy wasn't trained more.

http://ksax.com/article/stories/S133...html?cat=10230

Comment

Hang him!!!!!!!
                Who's on first?..........

Comment

Originally posted by canair67 View Post
                  Hang him!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
                    , I just thought it was some idiot who set off a firework in the plane,
                    And that's not a safety issue? Wow...
                    -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
                    -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

That device was part of a larger explosive, probably the rest of the bomb is in a toothpaste tube or a deodorant. What exploded on him is what we call "detonator", the detonator is a small explosive that will set up a larger explosive. Tim McVeight used 2 detonators in order to explode several tons of ammonium nitrate mixed with oil (AMFUEL) that he had inside a rented U-Haul truck. The cuban terrorist Posada Carriles bombed a DC-8 out of Barbados with a detonator hidden in a pencil and explosive C-4 hidden in a shampoo bottle.
                      As you can see, this little "firecracker" is not a joke or firework, is a detonator for a larger bomb.
                      My question is where the rest of the bomb is?
                      A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

I'm from Ottawa/CYOW, back in the summer this aircraft was still in Northwest colours, it got diverted to Ottawa because of a medical emergency. I was on my way to a baloon festival then and was on a bridge, I look to my left and I see a big aircraft (not common at YOW) and i'm like, OMG! It's a A333!!! It ended up being the same aircraft as now. That's so werid. Here is a video my friend took.

Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                          .........What exploded on him is what we call "detonator", the detonator is a small explosive that will set up a larger explosive. ...........
                          Can you provide a source for this info? You can PM me if you like.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER View Post
                            Some news sources claim that that guy is actually on the no-flight list. If that is indeed the case, someone in AMS must've royally fvcked up. What good is APIS when it's not being used...
                            APIS is only used for collection of data (passport) and then sita'd to the destination on Finalisation of the flight .

Very close call though !
                            I suspect the sky mashalls earnt the money yesterday !

regards

Comment

My understanding is that he was not on a no-fly list (but was on a federal 'special attention' list), and he had a valid US visa (so the airline legally checked him in), so there was seemingly no valid reason to bar him from the flight. It also appears there were no federal air marshals on this particular flight either.

Comment

Working...
                              X