Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo news

Yahoo news

Sidney Dekker, a professor of flight safety at the School of Aviation at Lund University in Sweden, said the rudder problem has been corrected by the manufacturer and that he'd be "hugely surprised" if it had anything to do with the crash.

Dekker, himself a 737 pilot, said that if reports of an engine fire proved to be correct, the accident could have possibly resulted from a loss of control at relatively low altitude.

He noted that the 737's engines were overpowered in order to fulfill single-engine takeoff performance requirements. "This tends to produce a turning movement toward the dead engine in the case of the loss of a powerplant at takeoff," he said.

Poor visibility in low cloud combined with high winds may have contributed to the problem faced by the pilots, he said.

Comment

tayyar.org

tayyar.org

3 maydays from the captain, to take a different root away from the storm, and the surprise was going straight to it.

Comment

Boeing Statement on Ethiopian Airlines Accident in Lebanon

SEATTLE, Jan. 24, 2010 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] has learned of the crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 409 near Beirut, Lebanon. Boeing has not received confirmation on the conditions of the passengers and crew members on board. Our hopes and prayers are with all who are affected by this accident. Boeing is coordinating with the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board to assist Lebanese authorities in the investigation.

# # #

Sandy Angers
        Boeing Commercial Airplanes Communications
        +1 206-851-7974 (mobile)
        [email protected]

Comment

airsafe.com, Fatal Boeing 737-800 Plane Crashes

- 29 September 2006; Gol Linhas Aereas 737-800; near Peixoto de Azevedo, Brazil
          - 5 May 2007; Kenya Airways 737-800; near Douala, Cameroon
          - 20 August 2007; China Airlines 737-800; Naha, Japan10 November 2008; Ryanair 737-800; Flight 4102; Rome, Italy
          - 25 February 2009; Turkish Airlines 737-800; Flight 1951; Amsterdam, Netherlands
          - 22 December 2009; American Airlines 737-800 (N977AN); Flight 331; Kingston, Jamaica
          - 25 January 2010; Ethiopian Airlines 737-800; Flight 409; near Beirut, Lebanon

Comment

Originally posted by edaher View Post

- 29 September 2006; Gol Linhas Aereas 737-800; near Peixoto de Azevedo, Brazil
            - 5 May 2007; Kenya Airways 737-800; near Douala, Cameroon
            - 20 August 2007; China Airlines 737-800; Naha, Japan10 November 2008; Ryanair 737-800; Flight 4102; Rome, Italy
            - 25 February 2009; Turkish Airlines 737-800; Flight 1951; Amsterdam, Netherlands
            - 22 December 2009; American Airlines 737-800 (N977AN); Flight 331; Kingston, Jamaica
            - 25 January 2010; Ethiopian Airlines 737-800; Flight 409; near Beirut, Lebanon
            Careful : the China, Ryanair and American incidents were not fatal.

Comment

Interesting to my knowledge the Ryanair did not have any fatalities in the accident after the bird strike. That said the frame was totally written off in the accident like in all the other cases mentioned. Not sure if there were fatalities with the China Airlines and American Airlines accidents either.

Anyways getting back on topic this is sad news indeed. This is the second crash in the past few days and in the same general area as well. Rest in peace and i cant even begin to imagine what the families are going through now.

So far what we know is the plane crashed very soon after takeoff, Eyewitnesses claim to have seen the aircraft on fire before it crashed and that the aircraft had been in for routine maintenance in late December and no problems were found. The aircraft is also reported to have departed Lebanon during bad weather and this may also be a factor. If i missed anything please feel free to add.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                True.

This was the title of the article.
                find it here:
                List of fatal events involving the Boeing 737 where at least one passenger was killed.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1
                  Great, I am glad the NTSB is going to take care of the investigation..!!
                  Well - the NTSB will send observers and maybe advisers, but the investigation will be done by national authorities in this case the Lebanese.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                    Also careful: the GOL accident was ATC related and the China Airlines accident was maintenance related...

Comment

Condolences to all the families.

It's true, eyewitnesses claimed seeing a ball of fire.
                      "The Lebanese army said the plane had broken up in the air before plummeting into rough seas. Witnesses described the impact as a "flash that lit up the whole sea" and a "ball of fire"."
                      reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60O00J20100125

African airlines in general have a shaky safety record, Ethiopian Airlines has a relatively good history. In a 1996 hijacking, however, one of its planes ran out of fuel and crashed into the sea, plus the 1988 accident.
                      nytimes.com/2010/01/25/world/middleeast/25crash.html

updates from
                      A 14-strong investigation team from Ethiopia including Ethiopian Airlines officials arrived by plane in Beirut to help probe the causes of the crash.
                      reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60O00J20100125

Originally posted by SAMRPICS View Post
                      Interesting to my knowledge the Ryanair did not have any fatalities in the accident after the bird strike. That said the frame was totally written off in the accident like in all the other cases mentioned. Not sure if there were fatalities with the China Airlines and American Airlines accidents either.

Anyways getting back on topic this is sad news indeed. This is the second crash in the past few days and in the same general area as well. Rest in peace and i cant even begin to imagine what the families are going through now.

So far what we know is the plane crashed very soon after takeoff, Eyewitnesses claim to have seen the aircraft on fire before it crashed and that the aircraft had been in for routine maintenance in late December and no problems were found. The aircraft is also reported to have departed Lebanon during bad weather and this may also be a factor. If i missed anything please feel free to add.

Comment

Someone was linking fire and low altitude. Low altitude loss of control doesn't cause fires, right? But fires can be t he cause of loss of control, as in the Halifax crash. But bursting into flames? Can that be anything but the fuel tanks leaking?

Comment

Add this to the rumor pile:

A parliament member representing the Amal Movement along with his sister and her entire family have also been reported to be among the victims.

Comment

I wonder what sort of water rescue capabilities there are at Rafik Khariri International. I also wonder if the passengers were warned if said capabilities are inadequate.

Comment

Evan, I don't think that rudder is from the 738; it looks like it's from the one that crashed in 1996. Notice the different tail scheme from the current one.

Really, at this stage, it's far too early to predict any probably cause, apart from suggesting that weather was a likely contributor.

It is remarkable, when going through the list of 738 hull losses, that there are quite a number - compared to the total number of other 737NGs lost; as far as I'm aware, that number is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                                Found this image, showing the tail section largely intact. If so, they may already have recovered the flight recorders. From what I've read of witness accounts, including 'airport officials', the a/c was hit by multiple lightning strikes. The last ATC transmission was for a turn to avoid CB's. No MAYDAY apparently. From the accounts, is sounding to me like a catastrophic explosion might have occurred.
                                Well - that's not a picture of the crashed aircraft but of the 767 that ditched off the Comoros islands several years ago. The aircraft involved in the accident near Beirut was already painted in Ethiopian's new colors.

Comment

Working...
                                X