Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airplane spotting in dfw and iah

hi

I will be visiting dfw and iah over the thanksgiving holiday.
    How is the airplane watching there???
    is there any places that you folks would recommend???
    when is the best times for arrivals at these airports
    any help or advise you folks could offer would be of great help
    thanks

IAH is kinda hard to spot at because they have closed the spotting sights due to constrction and increased security. HOU is real easy to spot at, there is a road that goes around the perimeter and the cops dont hassle you to move (or at least they didnt when I lived there).

I am currently living in Fort Worth and spot at DFW all the time, there is an observation area at DFW called Founder's Plaza, it is off the service road on the southeast side of the airport... http://www.dfwairport.com/visitor/founders.htm

Wayne
    DFW

Comment

Re:

If you're flying DL/DL Connection, forget abt going to other terminals, as you 'll have to take the 4mph train and then go through security, which isn't possible if your connecting flight is on DL/DL Conn. However, the DL Conn satellite is gr8 for spotting. You get to see planes from a much closer point than at the other terminals (especially from the north end of the satellite). It's really close to taxiway Kilo and you can get good pics of heavies. Of course, at Founder's Plaza, you're practically out on the airfield.

As far as the best times for spotting go, I would recommend between 1-5 p.m, as this is usually the international rush hour period at DFW. Aircraft you should be able to see coming in would be LH's 342, BA's 772ER, AA 772ERs, and other smaller ones like Aeromexico's M87 and Grupo Taca's 319. And then there are cargo heavies floating around as well.

Happy Flying!

Comment

Now unless this has changed, and I wouldn't be @ all surprised if it did; if you're flying Continental through IAH, you should be able to go into the International Terminal (D) since it is directly connection to C. (I also don't know if the new Terminal E has a direct connection to C & D and Continental flies into E as well). The windows in the International Terminal usually are some of the best when it comes to spotting and even photography. Plenty of aircraft taxi by including most of the international flights.

I wouldn't suggest trying to go anywhere near the airport perimeter. The Gestapo currently is in charge of security @ IAH.

DFW seems to be one of the best airport for spotting @ least in relation to security. They haven't gone Nazi on us. At least not yet.

Comment

Working...
        X