NX and NC Registrations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NX and NC Registrations?

I recently uploaded this photo of a MiG-15 and received a rejection due to Bad Information, specifically due to the registration.

The aircraft is registered with the FAA as "N996" (specifically see: here.) Yet, the aircraft is painted with the registration of "NX996." I've done some research into the "NX" and "NC" registrations that appear on some aircraft in the United States. From what I've found, the use of "NX", "NC" and other suffixed N-numbers ended in 1948. Prior to that year, the suffix to the N-number designated the aircraft type, C for civil, X for experimental, and so on. Aircraft registered prior to 1948 were allowed to carry over their "NC" registrations, but no new registrations would be issued with a suffix letter after that year, all registrations would be a straight "N."

In my specific case, the MiG was originally built in 1950. Even if the aircraft had been delivered straight to the US (which it wasn't), it would not have been eligible for a true "NX" registration. Clearly, the owner has painted the "NX" registration on the plane for decorative or nostalgic purposes, not as the aircraft's actual registration.

I have uploaded photos of aircraft before which may state "NC1234" number on the tail, but are registered as "N1234" with the FAA. I've even uploaded a photograph of an aircraft which displayed an entirely different registration than the one it held with the FAA (the registration had been changed due to a sale). I've always stuck with the FAA's official registration (found through the FAA Registry Inquiry), regardless of what's been painted on the tail. This hasn't been a problem until this specific upload.

What is JetPhoto's specific policy on aircraft registrations? Should we upload pictures with whatever the owner/operator has printed on the tail, or should we go by the legal registration number that's in the fine print?
    Before I give in and re-upload with a bogus registration number, could I get an official explanation of JP's policies?

Thanks for your time,
    -Kevin

IMO NX996 is correct. She is registered as an Experimental but if the reg is not valid then N996.

Maybe some more opinions aboit this?
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Already discussed here in the forum dedicated to such questions!
      This is the forum to ask questions about the info/data that goes with your photos, including aircraft types, photo categories, etc.

Comment

Okay, thanks! I'll re-upload with the NX registration.

Comment

Working...
        X