Good CRM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good CRM?

As everyone knows a lot of accidents have been blamed at "Human error". The pilots have been blamed for their inability to perform as they should have, which have made "human error" the cause of the accident/incident.

What about the opposite?

Is there anyone who knows a good example where the pilots have performed and made a really good work? Where the investigation points out the good CRM/human performance in the accident/incident?

I would say the United Airlines-232 DC-10 crash at Sioux City (1989).

Comment

The Miracle on the Hudson, the United 74 that lost the cargo door, the Hawaiian 737 that peeled like a sardine can are examples that spring immediately to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldus View Post
        I would say the United Airlines-232 DC-10 crash at Sioux City (1989).
        I think this is the best example besides the Hudson crash.
        I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

BA038, the 777 double engine failure @ Heathrow: report (PDF).

Comment

And probably countless other examples where good CRM and crew training have averted an incident altogether.

Its a bit like proving via statistics how effective ABS brakes are on a car - in short it will only show up in stats in the years ahead when there has been a reduction in crashes or the severity of crashes. Even then has the reduction been attributable to ABS or to improvements to driver training, improvements to the roads etc?

It is a difficult thing to say that ABS or CRM has reduced x % of crashes.

Comment

Actually, the following articles are an interesting read on the subject of CRM influence on accident reduction:

Grubb, G., Morey, J., & Simon, R (2001). “Sustaining and advancing performance improvements achieved by crew resource management training”,
              http://frontpage.okstate.edu/coe/tod...ning/Grubb.pdf

Diehl A.E. (1991). “Does cockpit management training reduce aircrew error?”
              http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/paper/diehl.htm

I could not find an online source for the following article, but it’s an interesting read if you can get your hands on it:
              Alkov, R.A. (1991). “U.S. Navy Aircrew Coordination Training - A Progress report”, in R. S. Jensen (Ed.), Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology (p368-371), Columbus: Ohio State University.

Comment

There was the Air Canada flight 143 emegency landing

Then there was Air Transit Flight 236 that ran out of fuel oveer the atlantic:
                On August 24, 2001, Capt. Robert Piche (a pilot for the Canadian charter airline Air Transat) did something that I would have (until now) flatly told yo...

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                  There was the Air Canada flight 143 emegency landing

Then there was Air Transit Flight 236 that ran out of fuel oveer the atlantic:
                  http://everything2.com/title/Air+Transat+Flight+236
                  I'd say that the first one is one of the examples of very good CRM (and a display of stick and rudder skills) after poor crew performance.

The second one is an example of exremely good luck after poor maintainence and very poor crew performance.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                    The second one is an example of exremely good luck after poor maintainence and very poor crew performance.

Yeah... I wouldn't include Transat 236 on a list of GOOD examples of CRM.

Comment

Working...
                    X