Airplane Crash over Tripoli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
    Very very sad news. Apperantly there were more than 60 Dutch people involved. Really a disaster for us and the rest of the world.

RIP and all thoughts to the family of the victims....

fyi a/c was 5A-ONG .........but that's not interesting right now.
    Confirmed http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-a330-200.html

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
    Yes, I agree.

The airline is also quite brand new, not yet ten years old. And there were motley nationalities on board.

Apparently the pilot missed the runway. I did not find confirmed the "immediately above the runway"-assumption.
    "not yet ten years old" More like not yet 1 year old, as it's 8 months old.

Originally posted by Dream_In_Flight View Post
    I would assume that according to international regulations, the Lybians, acting as the state of registration of the aircraft and the state where the accident took place will lead the investigation.

French BEA shall participate in the investigation as the investigation body of the state delivering airworthiness certificate for the aircraft. Engines being reported as GE CF6-80 E1A4, U.S. NTSB shall be invited as well.

Regards
    I do hope that NTSB joins, I just don't feel that confident with BEA, especially with the AF447 case

Comment

A question

Pretty messy, looking at the photos of the debris

Can anyone explain the blackened "flares" around where the tailplanes join the base of the tail?

Comment

Originally posted by ced ampo View Post

"not yet ten years old" More like not yet 1 year old, as it's 8 months old.
        I guess LH-B744 was talking about the airline, not the plane

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
          Apparently the aircraft was out of fuel or nearly so...No fire!
          An airport security official claims that the aircraft exploded on impact. I've read nothing about a fireball. By the degree of devastation, it would seem to suggest an explosion, or a high vertical descent rate, which isn't likely given the proximity to the runway. The v-stab is damaged at the top, indicating a roll-over.

Still, I can't see any real evidence of fire in the photographs. Perhaps the fuel was down below fixed reserve and it burned off quickly...?

If it was fuel starvation, aside from the obvious fuel emergency declaration, I would expect the wreckage to be far more intact. There's been no report of structures hit on the ground.

They have the boxes, so I'm hoping they release some basic information before another wave of scarebus runs through the public.

Comment

More photos

Can anyone explain the blackened "flares" around where the tailplanes join the base of the tail?
            Looking at photos of the plane before the accident, similar marks can be seen. The blackening may just be due to lighting in the post-crash photos.

Some more photos here: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...light-20100512

And news that Afriqiyah has offered to fly relatives to Tripoli: http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Ai...Libya-20100512

Comment

Afriqiyah response

I'm impressed with the accident response from Afriqiyah - the homepage of their website has a replaced their banner image with extra large text "Flight Crash 8U 771" and contact details below that.

I haven't seen such an open response from other airlines that I can recall. They seem to have realised that for the immediate future the vast majority of visitors to their website will be looking for crah info.

Comment

Has this aircraft flown in the ashaffected regions during the last 2 months?
                Found one pic, 26/4 in CDG, http://www.planespotters.net/Aviatio...show?id=130197
                "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

I think not, I heard that it has flown quite often the route from South Africa to Tripoli. Another important thing is that in theory the plane was in a good state since it has undergone a maintenace period in Milan has this shot testifies.
                  332 Afriqiyah just came out from the hangar, after maintenance.... 5A-ONG. Airbus A330-202. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Originally posted by ZK-OKH View Post
                    I think not, I heard that it has flown quite often the route from South Africa to Tripoli. Another important thing is that in theory the plane was in a good state since it has undergone a maintenace period in Milan has this shot testifies.
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...6793593&nseq=2
                    Can you find any flight log for the 2 last month?
                    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Looks like a "stall" , probably caused by a microburst, just like the Delta L-1011 in Dallas...I wonder if there were any thunderstorms near the airport at the moment of the accident?

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                        Can you find any flight log for the 2 last month?
                        Unfortunately the only thing I've been able to find is the logbook page of the plane in JP.net. Actually it has been reported two times in CDG.

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post
                        Looks like a "stall" , probably caused by a microburst, just like the Delta L-1011 in Dallas...I wonder if there were any thunderstorms near the airport at the moment of the accident?

The only thing I can't understand about the stall is that the plane is completely destroyed, at that low altitude several damages could occur, with fatalities and so on but not almost pulverized that way!

Comment

Not being an (aeronautical) engineer i obviously can be wrong. But the 'pulverization' you mention is not only a matter of altitude but also the result of mass x speed. Similar like with the crash of the Polish presidential plane, this plane was on final approach and close to the runway. Apparently the combination of the mass of the plane and it's speed (even though not high enough to avoid a stall) are sufficient enough to completely disintegrate the plane. But I agree that it is pretty scary. Surprisingly even that someone survived.
                          May they rest in peace.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TUNISAIR745 View Post
                            .............. answers will come fast this time
                            I certainly hope so but this was a Libyan aircraft in a dictatorship.

Comment

Originally posted by Geebee View Post
                              Not being an (aeronautical) engineer i obviously can be wrong. But the 'pulverization' you mention is not only a matter of altitude but also the result of mass x speed. Similar like with the crash of the Polish presidential plane, this plane was on final approach and close to the runway. Apparently the combination of the mass of the plane and it's speed (even though not high enough to avoid a stall) are sufficient enough to completely disintegrate the plane. But I agree that it is pretty scary. Surprisingly even that someone survived.
                              May they rest in peace.

Any other thoughts?
                              I agree with you, is a matter of physics. I have seen the same "pulverization" in helicopters during a hard landing, I believe is called "resonance". The shock waves are bounced back and forth, until it destroys the whole airframe.
                              A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Could this be SECOND Airbus 330 mystically exploding mid-air within a year...

Looks like a "stall" , probably caused by a microburst, just like the Delta L-1011 in Dallas
                                Ash cloud?

Apparently the aircraft was out of fuel or nearly so...No fire!
                                the tail is almost complete and away from the crash site...."a la" American Airlines in Queens, NY and the Air France near the brazilian coast....
                                Man, you guys are on a roll today....keep 'em coming, this is great stuff!
                                Parlour Talker Extraordinaire

Comment

Working...
                                X