No announcement yet.

Prevent "too little or too much contrast" rejections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I over do the contrast with this image? Or does it need more?
    I'm puzzled with this one.

(I still would prefer the rejection reason to be changed to either too much or too little instead of both).
    My Travels across the globe
    Pictures I am proud of

Comment

Originally posted by Derice View Post
      Did I over do the contrast with this image? Or does it need more?
      I'm puzzled with this one.
      There's no reason at all to be puzzled by this because as with previous examples, a look at the histogram tells all.

Looking at the photo I immediately see slightly light shadows and slightly bright highlights which is precisely what the histogram is showing, so overall the photo is a little bright but it should be correctable editing again from the original. I'm really not joking when I say the key to understanding contrast rejections is understanding the histogram, and learning to read it properly will mean you'll perfectly understand probably 99% of contrast rejections you'll ever get. Most of the information you'll ever really need to understand contrast rejections in written right here in this thread.

The photo's also quite soft, so again try to look for all possible flaws when you edit and try not to concentrate on just a few.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Paul, very nice review!
        Omer, thak you for help, i am not understand, too much soft or bad contrast?
        i try to repair contrast.

The problem is I do not get along well with me that this contrast processing only problem.

I repair phosts:
        http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3132315
        and:
        http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3132304

Now the photos are better for JP?

Regards,
        Siegi.

Comment

Hi Sergi,

Paul his guide has helped me to overcome this issue you are having (I still get a contrast rejection now and than, but when I do, I see why and am able to fix it (in most cases)).
          Work through this extensive guide a couple of times until you get it.
          Play with the settings to see what happens.

About your images:

I assume you are using Photoshop?
          If you open your images there, try the following:

Open Image |Adjustments | Levels (or press CRTL-L)

Move the slider in the center to the left until it reads 1,30 (for the A380) and 1,40 (for the A319).
          They will look much brighter (and better), they are now both too dark in my opinion. You may want to try different settings to see what happens.
          Hope this will help you understand these rejections.
          Pictures I am proud of

Comment

Originally posted by Derice View Post
            Hi Sergi,

Paul his guide has helped me to overcome this issue you are having (I still get a contrast rejection now and than, but when I do, I see why and am able to fix it (in most cases)).
            Work through this extensive guide a couple of times until you get it.
            Play with the settings to see what happens.

About your images:

I assume you are using Photoshop?
            If you open your images there, try the following:

Open Image |Adjustments | Levels (or press CRTL-L)

Move the slider in the center to the left until it reads 1,30 (for the A380) and 1,40 (for the A319).
            They will look much brighter (and better), they are now both too dark in my opinion. You may want to try different settings to see what happens.
            Hope this will help you understand these rejections.
            Nice idea!
            Hope this helped, I upload images after correction with levels as you suggested (Photoshop CS3):

And i correction photo of Croatia (Star Alliance):

I hope that the photos are better now, what do you think?

Regards,
            Siegi.

Comment

Siegi,
              They look MUCH better now. Can you see the photos look more natural?
              I think they would be probably be ok now. However I will have a proper look later.
              Ryan

Comment

Thank fot help me

Thanks for trying to help, and as I upluaded photos to JP, more chance to try:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3133562

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3133557

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3128980

I hope JP accept me photos

Regards,
                Siegi.

Comment

Much better indeed! Although I feel that the A380 is still a 'tiny bit' too dark. But I'm not a screener.
                  If you want to have a better indication, post your images (before uploading!) in this thread: http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthre...302#post559302
                  Pictures I am proud of

Comment

Also, please do not upload your photos to the queue to show them here for pre-screening. Upload them to any other photo space, like flickr or imageshack.
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks anyway LX-A343, but meantime I'll leave the photos queue to JP, it seems if they accept photos and if not then fix again.
                      I do not feel that the A380 a little dark.

Regards,
                      Siegi.

Comment

Originally posted by Siegi N. View Post
                        Thanks for trying to help, and as I upluaded photos to JP, more chance to try:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3133562

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3133557

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=3128980

I hope JP accept me photos

Regards,
                        Siegi.

The Lufty A319 looks fine but the other two are quite overexposed. My tutorial Ryan linked to places very high importance on using the histogram and doing so will avoid these problems by telling you as soon as you start to blow pixels. The histogram is your friend, so make good use of it.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                          The Lufty A319 looks fine but the other two are quite overexposed. My tutorial Ryan linked to places very high importance on using the histogram and doing so will avoid these problems by telling you as soon as you start to blow pixels. The histogram is your friend, so make good use of it.
                          Overexposure? the pictures is no burnt, if too high exposure photos burnt.

Siegi.

Comment

Originally posted by Siegi N. View Post
                            Overexposure? the pictures is no burnt, if too high exposure photos burnt.
                            The histogram really quite strongly disagrees:

The line going up the right side of the graph is showing you that parts of the photo are overexposed, the peaks on the left are also showing the shadows are a little too strong. The histogram really is the digital photographers' best friend.

Your colour space is also wrong. It's Adobe RGB, which means in certain browsers your images will be viewed with less saturation and contrast than your originals. It should be sRGB for internet use.
                            Last edited by PMN; 2010-08-31, 17:21.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                              The histogram really quite strongly disagrees:

The line going up the right side of the graph is showing you that parts of the photo are overexposed, the peaks on the left are also showing the shadows are a little too strong. The histogram really is the digital photographers' best friend.

Your colour space is also wrong. It's Adobe RGB, which means in certain browsers your images will be viewed with less saturation and contrast than your originals. It should be sRGB for internet use.
                              I understand, thank you, i'm a little worry that the bottom plane (wheels) has a shadow also bottom of the engine shaded.
                              Try as it seems pictures in queue and further on the, each sees a different picture in his opinion.

Siegi.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post
                                Siegi,
                                They look MUCH better now. Can you see the photos look more natural?
                                I think they would be probably be ok now. However I will have a proper look later.
                                Ryan
                                Ryan, thak you

The photo in queue, i hope JP accept me photo...
                                JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Siegi.

Comment

Working...
                                X