A-10 Warthog - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-10 Warthog - Questions

Thought of some more questions, open to anyone who wants a crack at them.

1. Is the A-10 getting an upgrade?
    2. Is the A-10 getting replaced?
    3. Does the A-10 retain the 30mm casings for centre of gravity purposes?
    4. Given the A-10 is built like a brick Sh*t house, has relatively short landing gear, has twin engines and a long loiter time: Why hasn't the A-10 have a carrier version? Wouldn't the Marines in any situation absolutley love seeing a warthog flying above them?? Marines need close support and no better close support than an A-10 armed to the teeth! (a little beyond the teeth actually).

A-10 upgrades

Luca, all A-10's are getting upgraded to the new "C" model. People say the upcoming F-35 is an A-10 replacement. I do not agree. //commence flame war //

The shell casings go back in to the drum and get downloaded after flight. I think it actually makes the gun faster to cycle them back in rather than eject the casings. That's the way it was designed way back then.

We fly CAS over Marines all the time. We just take off from a land base to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by A10Mechanic View Post
      Luca, all A-10's are getting upgraded to the new "C" model. People say the upcoming F-35 is an A-10 replacement. I do not agree. //commence flame war //

The shell casings go back in to the drum and get downloaded after flight. I think it actually makes the gun faster to cycle them back in rather than eject the casings. That's the way it was designed way back then.

We fly CAS over Marines all the time. We just take off from a land base to do it.
      - Good to hear we'll see it still flying for a while yet. Am i able to ask what improvements the "C" will bring? (I'm guessing avionics and upgraded countermeasures?)
      I have to agree with you that the F-35 would be a poor replacement for what is a fairly specific design for a specific job, and does it very well indeed. The 35 costs 120 million plus, silly to put such an asset in the sights of a shoulder launched, short range missile. It would not have the same degree of survivability from ground damage anyway. I'd like to assure you that such a decision would be stupid and not to worry, but, no one can predict the (short) sight of defence planners, putting dollars before military doctrine. Gulf War1 should have cemented the A-10s place in the arsenal for a long time yet...

Comment

Originally posted by A10Mechanic View Post

, but i like your avatar!

Comment

The A-10 pilots out of Willow Grove were great. There was nothing like cutting lazy circles in a Schweizer or Blanik and being joined for a moment by one of the A-10's.

Nice to hear they are getting a new lease on life.

A-3 mechanic NAS Guam
          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
            , but i like your avatar!
            Indeed, you do?

But you don't have to worry. He collected six (!) posts since the last three years.
            Me personally does not collect war birds. In our family, the war enthusiasm skipped at least two generations.
            Last edited by LH-B744; 2010-08-29, 13:35. Reason: More than one generation
            The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
            The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
            And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
            This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

ter Pilot Saves Troops and Her Damaged "Warthog"

Slightly off topic but here is a story of an A-10 that was hit by enemy fire and then flown back to safety in 2003.

Comment

On the subject of A10's. Years ago I lived in East Anglia, UK (Peterborough to be exact) and used to go fishing out on the flat Fenland areas. There were lots of A10's around in those days from (I think) Bentwaters and possibly Alconbury. They used to stooge around at low level and occasionally line up on a camera gun strafing run using our 8 feet diameter fishing umbrellas as a target.
                Anyway, one day we ambulance personnel were invited up to RAF Alconbury to practice "rapid egress from cockpit" techniques as we could well be called to an incident as we were based close by. During the day we were taken to see a video of the combined aircraft in the area during their training operations. Very interesting video .....especially at the last few minutes when the officer showing the video paused it and announced "and now for a sequence that will be of special interest to two of you guys". What followed was gun camera footage from an A10 turning into a strafing run.....with me and my fishing mate firmly in centre screen.....both of us sticking two fingers up at the aircraft !!

Oh boy did we get the piss taken out of us.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian, not too far from where I live is a place called the Warren Grove Weapons Range. The current role is to allow the A-10 and F-16 jockeys to have a place to train.

It is an area we call the "Pine Barrens" and they were once secluded and desolate. A poor soil and dead flat costal area where even the pine tree growth is stunted so there is not much vegetation over six feet.

I was sitting on a small "hill" where there is a pay phone and found myself looking down the business end of an A-10 cannon as it rolled in for a low pass. Pretty freaky and harmless but, I was on my way to pay a "visit" to a nearby school.

Later that summer in 2004, one of the F-16 drivers rolled in over the top and "somehow" he cut loose with a burst from the 20mm and something like 8 rounds went through the roof of the school and a few even hit student desks. The custodians had just finished cleaning that room and left. My guess is that the pilot violated SOP and took the weapon off safe before he rolled in on the target. Like anything down in relatively low, he possibly hit a bubble/thermal that bounced him a tad enough to hit the button?

When the A-10 deal happened to me at first I thought it was a bit funny but now in retrospect, just because they are shooting "practice duds", eight pounds of steel traveling at that velocity is pretty freaky.
                  Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Working...
                  X