Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-foot hole appears in plane at 31,000 feet

Default Two-foot hole appears in plane at 31,000 feet

Looks like good old metal fatigue. The scary thing is that it should not have happened at all this happened to United 757 not to long ago too!!

Wife and I were boarding a 747, TWA to Hawaii and I looked at the cracks and for real, almost asked the crew if they wanted me to at least stop drill them.

I wish I was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by guamainiac View Post
    Wife and I were boarding a 747, TWA to Hawaii and I looked at the cracks and for real, almost asked the crew if they wanted me to at least stop drill them.

I wish I was joking.
    Where were the cracks and what did you observe.

Some aircraft fly for years with cracks in composite secondary structure (I tried to find a relevant NASA report but failed).

Right at the passenger loading door. We were probably "business class" first deck if that matters. Conventional aluminum skin.

I was a Naval Air "tin bender" and "part time" hudrastics & tire changer for A-3's.

Stop drilled a lot of holes and bucked a bucket of rivets.

I was being forced to do this against my will. Actually it is a shock more aircraft stayed up (to the best of my knowledge), then screwed the pooch.

Looks like scribbing damage.

Scribbing?

You have me by the sneakers? What does that mean?

There are a lot of arcane definitions for rivet problems and failure and I forget most. Like .. "smoking" .. is I think the telltale residue from slightly loose rivets. Is that where you are going, or something like an improper repair?

Default AA 757 undergoes rapid-decompression due to hole in fuselage...

Passengers on a recent American Airlines flight from Miami to Boston experienced a much more vivid sense of airborne peril when a 2-foot hole opened up in the plane's fuselage about 30 minutes after takeoff.

The Boeing 757 was cruising at 31,000 feet Tuesday when the cabin began to decompress rapidly -- a "super-terrifying" experience, a passenger told WSVN-TV in Miami. The flight was carrying 154 passengers and six crew members.

Once the plane was on the ground, inspectors discovered the problem -- not that it was exactly easy to miss. A 2-foot-by-1-foot hole had opened just above the "A" of the logo near the plane's front left cabin door. Initial reports indicate that the plane probably took off with a smaller crack in the fuselage -- and that wind pressure caused it to expand after the jet's takeoff. However, investigators say that they have yet to isolate the precise cause of the hole. Both the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating.

According to the Wall Street Journal, "industry officials said the incident ... bears some similarity to cracks found last month in the fuselage" of a United Airlines Boeing 757. A 1-foot hole also opened up on Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 when it was 30,000 feet in the air last year, causing pressure to drop and oxygen masks to be deployed, the Journal says.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...rgency-landing
    I wonder what was the cause? Also, what systems are in place to prevent this from happening? Thank God that this turned out well...
    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Other thread below on this. Botched repair or access panel?

Scribbing?

There are a lot of arcane definitions for rivet problems and failure and I forget most. Like .. "smoking" .. is I think the telltale residue from slightly loose rivets. Is that where you are going, or something like an improper repair?
    Maybe there's a typo (the right term seems to be "scribe line damage"), but I'm thinking of this:
    http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...005/jun/46.pdf
    http://www.oceanscan.net/html/oceans...php?newsID=103
    http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ndt-ap...209715272.html
    http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2009/SW-737-exterior.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AA 1818 View Post
    I wonder what was the cause? Also, what systems are in place to prevent this from happening? Thank God that this turned out well...
    No system whatsoever. The sky is flooded with deathtraps waiting to crack open like the proverbial sardine can. Just ask Evan.

Is it possible that Evan is the alter ego of Erica Jong?

No? Sorry but it begged an answer.

Wow. One possibility could be from the pictures of the hole and reports being that it was near the cockpit that maybe a jet bridge, when the front top section comes to connects to the aircraft, may have come down a bit to hard and damage the haul, leading to being fatigue, and eventually bursting. I can only image how quick that aircraft descended, must have been several thousands of feet per minute and a bit scary for passengers. Sure strengthens the importance of paying attention when flight attendants and tv's go through the emergency procedures, which seems like most people ignore.
    what ever happens......happens

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Malone View Post
    No system whatsoever. The sky is flooded with deathtraps waiting to crack open like the proverbial sardine can. Just ask Evan.

Really??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraf...tenance_checks
    Signatures are overrated

Gabriel, exactly! We would often use a scribe to map out a hole we wanted to cut out for a patch. It showed up well in the green of the zinc chromate primer.

This sounds as if type of "scribe" would be from a tool mark or accidentally dragging some equipment across the surface. Aluminum is tough but work hardens easily.

I should have picked up on that but it's been a long time.

Thanks.
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

No SYDCBRWOD, I live under one of the approaches for EWR and an A3SUMTHIN' just flew over my house; it was like the first time I had sex.

it was dark

it was scary

and

I was all alone
    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Scribbing?

I think he means "scriber" an outdated and outlawed method of marking lines on a surface with a sharp metal object. Replaced by a red non lead pencil that would not interact with the aluminum.
    You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

If you only bothered to read the info provided, you'd see that it's not an intentional mark but damage produced when trimming decals or masking tape or removing sealalnts with sharp objects.