Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 yr Anniv Activation of the Cochlear Implant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 yr Anniv Activation of the Cochlear Implant!

Hey Folks-

For those who have been keeping up with me, while I like to remember today is veterans day, it is also another important date for me in terms of my cochlear implant. Today was the day, one year ago I got "turned on" or otherwise, activated for my implant. It means I started hearing naturally for the first time a year ago today. I blogged about it on Facebook and thought I'd post it here for people to read.

"What?"

"I didn't hear you?"

"What's that noise?"

"Did you hear that?"

Those are sentences I would have said a year ago. Now, One year later, I hardly, if ever, rarely say those words as a result of my being Deaf.

On the first day I was "turned on" and by that I mean by the machine, yes a machine turned me on, imagine that! All I heard was a fizzle, and beeps of sounds. Very confusing to me at first but, the more important thing was I was HEARING those sounds naturally. The first few days would be confusing, mumbled sounds, and nothing really clear.

Everything was just too loud to me! This was quite funny as I was always the guy who asked to have things turned up. Now after the activation I did a 180 and would ask for things to be turned down. It always sounded like people were yelling at me and it hurt my ears and head. I wondered how hearing people survived this?!

Then I remember one moment driving home from the hospital after one of my numerous check ups, I heard this clicking sound in the car. I never heard this before and it alarmed me. I was convinced something was wrong with the car. That's it I decided, I was pulling over to figure this sound. The sound happened once again as I turned off the road and pulled over, but would stop when I was going straight. This had me absolutely dumbfounded. I proceeded to call my mother with the mind I was going to have to call a tow-truck. Imagine this, standing outside on the highway off the hospital 2 hrs away from home not knowing what the hell was making this clicking sound. I explained everything I was doing to my mother, and I heard a short laugh, and then a brief of sympathy going "Oh, Honey, that's the turn signal!" Me "the turn signal makes a sound?" I proceeded to turn on the turn signal and sure as hell, *click* *click* *click* I'll be damned! My mother proceeded to add "this is going to be a long month for us isn't it?!"

I also remember random moments of sound, the first time I heard a raccoon, but most people won't care that I heard a raccoon, but this is the amazing thing. The raccoon was nowhere near me. I was hearing it from SO far away. I now discovered not only could I hear things naturally I could PICK UP sound from far away. This truly was remarkable for me.

Some noises that became irritating for me but I got over it was the crackling of paper, jingling of keys, and the worst part was in my computer class. 26 people clacking away on the computer actually gave me a headache, Hearing every beep, chime, ping, clack, and click. Oh how did you guys do it?!

Then the big thing for me, FLYING! Oh, how I longed to hear the sound of the engines naturally, the wind whistling by, the announcements, the chime and pings. I could hear some of them on the hearing aid, but not as loud and clear as I would on the implant. I took my first inaugural flight with Southwest Airlines of course to Boston, and sat back and truly enjoyed everything I was hearing. Soon after 70 plus flights I have taken I am very good at recognizing just about every sound made on the aircraft, am able to follow along most announcements, that is if the flight attendant or pilot is actually speaking real clear...I really enjoyed it.

Music has also changed quite a bit for me. I have shyed away from country music and gotten more into pop, RB and just my rage of music has really changed. I like it, yes I still play Britney Spears so get over it people hahaha.

It has been a remarkable year for me, hearing things for the first time or hearing things in a more clear-er way. Family's voices, friends voices, I have enjoyed every moment of it, and look forward to the next year and developing and fine tuning my ears! Who knows, perhaps I will get my 2nd implant done!

The moment I heard sound for the first time naturally.

Alex
    Stop Searching. Start Traveling. southwest.com

Wow! What a great post. Shows what we all take for granted today and how little we appreciate what we have. I'm sure the year has been amazing in alot of ways...Lots of virgin firsts is always a blow away - sounds weird, but i almost envy you!
    Thanks for the post, has made my morning.
    PS: An Australian invented that.

Comment

Originally posted by Luka View Post
      Wow! What a great post. Shows what we all take for granted today and how little we appreciate what we have. I'm sure the year has been amazing in alot of ways...Lots of virgin firsts is always a blow away - sounds weird, but i almost envy you!
      Thanks for the post, has made my morning.
      PS: An Australian invented that.
      x10 Atrude777, congrats mate.

Comment

Good stuff, ATtrude. Glad it worked.
        Per
        Ancient Mariner
        Certified above and below...................sea level.

Comment

Wouah, Great post indeed. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Gotta love that story with the "clicking sound in the car". It explains what hearing is in a nutshell: something we only miss, once it is not there anymore.

Great post! I'm glad it worked out.
            Last edited by LX-A343; 2010-11-12, 08:59.
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Excellent. Great post. In my job the smile that you've got on your face there is what makes it all worthwhile. It's so easy for people without hearing issues to take it for granted and not realise how difficult it is, and how many doors are closed to you when you have a hearing problem.

Hearty congratulations.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Luka- I did not know that! Many thanks then! Thanks for reading!

SYD-Thanks for reading!

Marine- I am glad it worked out for me too, I can't wait to see the new improvements continuing!

Omar-My pleasure!

LX-I know many people love me sharing that story over and over again! It truly is funny to many people.

Brian- thanks for reading and I agree, the smile the doctors see like mine truly makes it worth for them and me every day!

Alex

Comment

It was great to read your story Alex.

All the best and much success to you.
                  Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is first.

Comment

Originally posted by ACheck View Post
                    It was great to read your story Alex.

All the best and much success to you.
                    Thanks ACheck! Appreciate it!

For those interested or wondering...

Got my bill nearly a year later...

About 95K plus dollars, and out of my pocket, we only pay $175.00!

Gotta love insurance!

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777 View Post
                      Thanks ACheck! Appreciate it!

For those interested or wondering...

Got my bill nearly a year later...

About 95K plus dollars, and out of my pocket, we only pay $175.00!

Gotta love insurance!

Alex
                      Are these things adjustable, meaning if things seem too loud, can that be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
                        Are these things adjustable, meaning if things seem too loud, can that be fixed?
                        I have a volume, but I try not to use it because you hearing people cannot "turn your volume down" so I train myself to have others turn the sound down, whether it be a radio, or someone speaking really loudly.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by ATrude777 View Post
                          I have a volume, but I try not to use it because you hearing people cannot "turn your volume down" so I train myself to have others turn the sound down, whether it be a radio, or someone speaking really loudly.

Alex
                          Us "hearing people" just tune things out. You'll learn, believe me.

Comment

Great post, thanks for sharing Alex. Congratulations, I'm glad you can now listen to the sounds of a jetliner/prop and everything else normally! It really is a reminder of how many people take such important things for granted. Really happy for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X