Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Similar photos

Hi Brian - so accepting them has nothing to do with the 45-degree rule? It all to do with the subject- yes? so why have the rule, if similar photos tell a different story, why exclude them?- Im just as confused as ever

You are trying to put words into my mouth. The 45 degree rule was considered but the images were considered to be different enough to be accepted.
    The 45 degree rule is designed to prevent a side on full length followed by another image a few degrees different or a crop image from the same angle with nothing otherwise different. We used to get ( still do get but they're rejected ! ) a full side on image followed by a front end crop from the same frame.
    We reserve the right to accept images with a similar angle but different composition when they are good quality and each tells a different story.

The fact that Gerardo is a crew member has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his images being accepted and to suggest that that is so is simply insulting. In fact, crew members tend to be more harshly judged in screening than non crew members.

Let me try to help you folks with the decision on when to upload or not....

You have two (maybe more) shots that are not more than 45 degrees apart in view angle that you want to upload.
    1. First decision to make is ..... "Which is the better shot ?"

2. Upload that one.

3. For the second shot ask yourself...."Why was this not as good as No.1 ? Does it show anything different in the way of motive, subject focus and/or lighting to No.1 ?"

4. If your answer to the first part is that it is not a particularly good shot compared to No. 1 then bin it. If you feel it is of good enough quality but does not show anything CONSIDERABLY different in terms of motive, subject focus and/or lighting then bin it.

5. If you are satisfied that there is sufficient interest difference then upload it but.....be prepared for a possible rejection.

6. If you think the rejection is wrong then use the appeal function giving a structured reasoning on why you feel it should be reconsidered.

7. Accept the final outcome and move on....this is after all just a hobby.
    Last edited by brianw999; 01-16-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    The fact that Gerardo is a crew member has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with his images being accepted and to suggest that that is so is simply insulting. In fact, crew members tend to be more harshly judged in screening than non crew members.
    when did i do that?

^^^

remember this ?.....

then off course we have these
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7015114
    then........
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7020719
    then........
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7020713
    then.......
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7015152
    ????????????????????????
    SIMILAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Errrrmmm, is that do as I say and not as I do ????
    ...and I edited my previous response in between this and your last reply. You may want to go back and read it again.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

to me it wouldn't mattered if mickey mouse had taken the photos - that was a retort at the screeners who arebanging on the rule has to be appiled then.....didn't apply it. off now my dinner is on the table and I've got Tom and Jerry to watch......

Quote Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
    to me it wouldn't mattered if mickey mouse had taken the photos - that was a retort at the screeners who arebanging on the rule has to be appiled then
    Just to clarify something, we have upload guidelines, not rules.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PMN View Post
    Only one point needs listing here and it's the most fundamental guideline we have on similars - that there should be at least 45 degrees difference between the two. That's unequivocal; there's less than 45 degrees difference. So regardless of minor differences by the site guidelines they're similar due to the lack of difference in angle, and that's why it was rejected.
    unequivocal = absolute; unqualified; not subject to conditions or exceptions: e.g. The cosigner of a note gives unequivocal assurance that it will be paid when due.

unequivocal = absolute; unqualified; not subject to conditions or exceptions: e.g. The cosigner of a note gives unequivocal assurance that it will be paid when due.
    The fact there's less than 45 degrees is unequivocal. What's your point?

My images on Flickr

Only one point needs listing here and it's the most fundamental guideline we have on similars - that there should be at least 45 degrees difference between the two. That's unequivocal;

if you don't understand your own words, how the are we?

Only one point needs listing here and it's the most fundamental guideline we have on similars - that there should be at least 45 degrees difference between the two. That's unequivocal;

if you don't understand your own words, how the are we?
    "What's your point?" is a question. It needs a response before you ask another question.

My images on Flickr

No, the correct version would be:

If you want to make sure that you avoid a similar rejection, then there should be at least 45 difference. You can up-load shots without that difference if you think the composition, the quality or other factors make it worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    No, the correct version would be:

If you want to make sure that you avoid a similar rejection, then there should be at least 45 difference. You can up-load shots without that difference if you think the composition, the quality or other factors make it worth a try.
    Actually that's the perfect way to succinctly put it. Looking back, there's one bit of Brian's post that sticks out to me as well:

"It's only a hobby".

My images on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PMN View Post
    The fact there's less than 45 degrees is unequivocal. What's your point?
    the word unequivical makes it a rule not to be broken or ignored.

well said Seahawk

the word unequivical makes it a rule not to be broken or ignored.

well said Seahawk
    I'm getting bored of this. The word unequivocal was used to point out it's a clear fact there's less than 45 degrees difference between the two images. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just out of my own personal curiosity (so a question from me personally as a fellow member rather than as a screener), when was the last time you uploaded an image to JP and how many do you have in the database?

My images on Flickr

so am I but thats not what written in your post,
    anyway I rarely upload my photos and mine are more to do with historical records and the rare, I use the site to see whats happening around the world, I'm a very fair weather spotter and prefer to travel overseas to see the a/c that doesn't frequent the UK.

you can see them if you find a BWIA B707 at Lhrw. i haven't got a clue why you want to know that.

if you want to know why i'm involved, many of my spotting collegues are mindful of upsetting the screeners so i took up the batten.

anyway I rarely upload my photos
    Is this you?

[photoid=5822048]

The reason I want to know that is very simple. If that account is yours then you have 31 images in the database and your last upload was in September 2006. I'll admit I'm not the smartest guy on the planet but this seriously puzzles me. After almost 4.5 years with absolutely no contact with JP, its standards or its crew, why is your attitude is so vehement and aggressive? If you'd had a string of recent rejections that you didn't agree with then I could understand it but you haven't. How is it possible for someone to reappear after so long and vent so much anger? What's going on? Are you here with the specific intent to just stir up trouble because that's the only logical reason I can see for your return.
    Last edited by PMN; 01-16-2011 at 09:51 PM.

My images on Flickr

Smile

thats a good question..... I'll leave you to ponder that........

thats a good question..... I'll leave you to ponder that........
    No need for me to ponder it, you've essentially just answered my question.

Have a nice evening.

My images on Flickr

nope - i told you in my prevous post my mates are scared of being victimised. I dont care if my photos get on or not but my mates, who I do care about, do......

and when someone upsets a very young spotter who cant answer back cos he wants his photos to be seen, anyone else now see my point?

and when someone upsets a very young spotter who cant answer back cos he wants his photos to be seen, any else now see my point?
    So you are here to cause trouble.

Please, go do something productive and stop wasting our time. It's clear you're here for no gainful purpose.

My images on Flickr